keyless entry problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bucky430

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hi everyone, new to the group and need some help. My 06 Ram 2500 keyless entry has all of a sudden will not work with either key fob, won't unlock and won't start. Had it towed to the dealer and they have found nothing wrong the keyless entry at all. When it arrived there I talked to the service guy and told him what it was doing and left. Of course he goes out after I left and now the keyless entry is working and it starts fine.Have replaced the batteries in truck and fob a week before there testing say my starter has a flat spot in it. They had to jump it to get it to start and now there is no issues at all with either, all they did is jump it. I understand that my starter my be having an issue starting but why is my keyless entry killing the truck,dash lights and chimmes but that's it. They have no clue and can't get it to replicate the problem, any info would be much appreciated.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Jumping the vehicle has nothing to do with a flat spotted starter. A flat spotted starter means it has some areas on the starter solenoid that are burnt out. It also has nothing to do with your fob's not being recognized and allowing you to atleast get interior lighting/gauges.

I would start with load testing the battery, once after charging it fully, the 2nd after letting it sit over night. Could be as simple as a bad main battery or as difficult as a strong parsitic draw killing the battery over night.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Hi everyone, new to the group and need some help. My 06 Ram 2500 keyless entry has all of a sudden will not work with either key fob, won't unlock and won't start. Had it towed to the dealer and they have found nothing wrong the keyless entry at all. When it arrived there I talked to the service guy and told him what it was doing and left. Of course he goes out after I left and now the keyless entry is working and it starts fine.Have replaced the batteries in truck and fob a week before there testing say my starter has a flat spot in it. They had to jump it to get it to start and now there is no issues at all with either, all they did is jump it. I understand that my starter my be having an issue starting but why is my keyless entry killing the truck,dash lights and chimmes but that's it. They have no clue and can't get it to replicate the problem, any info would be much appreciated.
My recent experience. Any chance you were near a RF emitting device??

Parked in the outskirts of a grocery store lot close to a solar powered, mobile CCTV tower. Was there less than 15 minutes. Came out and no go w/the FOB. Tried pushing the start button with the end of the FOB as prescribed. Nothing!

Two newer Buicks were parked nearby. Both owners had dead FOBs too!!! One had someone pick her up. She had frozen groceries and the dead car would be her husband’s problem later on.

The other Buick owner was a middle aged guy. He kept trying every trick he knew for Buicks, no luck.

After about 49 minutes out of frustration I hit the remote start again. The Buick guy hit his start button again too. Both started.

My truck has restarted multiple times in the past 2.5 hours and all works perfectly again. Won’t park near another CCTV tower again.

OP
OP
Bucky430

Bucky430

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I was parked at my house and 3 days later was parked at work, frustrating.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I was parked at my house and 3 days later was parked at work, frustrating.
Still could be an RF device. My best guess is; the CCTV tower was going through a data upload cycle and emitting a strong RF signal at the time. Could be you have a device nearby that emits intermittent signals. Although, the odds of one being near your home and work both is extremely remote.

OP
OP
Bucky430

Bucky430

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I found out some info for you guys, if you ever run into the issue that I had make sure to check your transmission range selector switch aka neutral safety switch to see if it is leaking into the connector, if it is then you have found your problem. My was and it definitely was causing the truck not to start, confirmed with my local transmission shop. 2006 Ram 2500

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963