Kicker key and alpine system...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That doesn't look like a bad amp for the sub but it might be a little too much power, if youre not careful you could overdo it with the gains. You'll be running this at 2ohm. Here's my order if I was pairing it and trying to stay sub $500 for the amp.

1. JL XD600/1v2
2. Kenwood XR601-1
3. Morel MPS 1.550
4. JL RD500/1
5. Kicker 44KXA800.1 could be a nice choice if you wanna stay kicker with your amps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I might be able to snag a used jl hd750/1 for $350-400..... Would that work? Cheaper and more power then what you suggested, while being a quality amp?.

happy new year!

Last edited:

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most certainly just be careful setting the gain. Any of the amps discussed will work. You can get a cheap oscope off amazon for under $40. If u can swing it I suggest it so you can maximize the gain without clipping.

Happy NYs to you too!!

OP
OP
M

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok just reached a deal on the hd 750/1 for 350 shipped. And I'm going to buy an oscope on amazon like you suggested.

Just waiting for a reply from the seller on the gb12, so hopefully I get a response this weekend considering it's new years.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Price vs performance I have been really liking the korean designed amps. Think I paid $145 when I bought my SoundQubed mono amp, 1250 rms @1 ohm and rms burst hits around 1700 watts. Have had zero issues in past year and never overheats even when running it at pretty much maxed out. Think it's almost identical to the skar rp1200 amp. Plus I like the clipping light on the bass knob. Would buy again for sure. I have a kenwood xr1s mono amp in my camaro and may change it out to one of these, the skar or SoundQubed to double my power. On the Ram I haven't done a single electrical upgrade and it's right on the line for the stock electrical to handle it, but it does. If I went to a 2000 watt rms amp, might be a little too much.

OP
OP
M

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Rotwiler, appreciate the input. I have zero knowledge of those korean amps, but that's definitely pretty interesting info on them. I'm going to do the big 3 over the weekend as I get a slight dimming with my current set up and that's only with the kicker key 200.4 and the SO m350-1. I know once I move up to the bigger amp it'll get worse without upgrading the big 3.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Amps and car audio in general in past few years have really come along great. I don't see spending twice as much for certain name brands. Even my SoundQubed amp at price is good, but they make another with similar specs, but is the higher end model for around $70 more and think difference is ones put together in china, other is build in korea and adds more cooling and some better caps etc.
Hey Rotwiler, appreciate the input. I have zero knowledge of those korean amps, but that's definitely pretty interesting info on them. I'm going to do the big 3 over the weekend as I get a slight dimming with my current set up and that's only with the kicker key 200.4 and the SO m350-1. I know once I move up to the bigger amp it'll get worse without upgrading the big 3.
Chances are your amp is most likey a korean amp. Sound Ordnance is a store brand for crutchfield and what I read is they went through Rockford fosgate. So is sub brand of rockford. RF products are made mainly in korea, think Hyundai is the plant they use.

OP
OP
M

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok update. Waiting for the jl hd750/1 and the gb12d4 to get here. Hopefully by week's end. Good news is, I was able to get what thought is a pretty good deal on a pair of gb12's, bad news is I had to buy the pair in order to close the deal. So if anyone is looking to buy a gb12d4 at a really good price, I'm going to have it listed for what I paid shortly. It was for an SQ build from a reputable member over at DIYM.

OP
OP
M

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok got the gb12 and the jl hd750 installed.....I was feeling a little frisky and came across a used pair of c3cx's and ending up buying them too!. I Know I know I couldn't help myself.

Ok first the c3cx's are ridiculously clear and just sound amazing. I may have to take down the tweeter db a touch on the included crossovers as my ears may get fatigued, but I'll give it a few days.
The jl hd750 and the gb12 are installed and sound really good. Though I feel I may need to do more adjustments, specifically when it comes to setting the gains.

I used a cheap oscilloscope
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QML4LJL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Jy5aGbFHR9EXQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 to try to set the gain. Keep in mind I have never used one before and went off a few youtube videos.

I had the head unit volume at 34 (my sorta max volume), played a 50hz 0db tone, set the scope to 20v, AC, 5mm. Keep in mind all settings on HU flat, amp settings were LPF 90.
I was able to clearly see the wave coming from the amp outputs. But it clipped extremely early, almost too early? I barely moved the gain past the zero mark.
My question is do I need to scope the waves prior to the amp? I have the factory 8.4 going to a pac amp pro to get a clean signal, but I feel like maybe I'm getting clipping so early when testing the amp output signal is because I'm using such a high HU volume ?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
RF products are made mainly in korea, think Hyundai is the plant they use.
RF has a lot built in China, Ive seen it on the line. But so are most brands.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recommend setting the gains by ear, or using a microphone and setting it by volume, because unless you listen to test tones, and no one does, it's a worthless method. Music is dynamic, test tones are not. If one uses test tones and a multimeter, they'll have a volume level much less than desired. A little distortion on the loudest peaks never hurt anyone or anything.

If you have a system that never distorts no matter the volume level, you either have ridiculous amounts of power, or are limiting the system.

I'm not saying to listen to it distorted, but if you never reach the point that it does, you're leaving volume ability on the table.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He's not using a multimeter - he's got an oscilloscope. I hear what you're saying and agree regarding a multimeter that math used isn't really accurate but an o-scope is a different story. We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

OP
OP
M

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great website and very informative info Regal! I re set the gains using a minus 5db instead of 0db and the results were significantly better. I was able to turn the gain up a bit higher and even dropped it back a touch to play it safe.

danielrly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alot of good info here. Starting on my own project. How good are those 6x9s referenced here. The CDT i have never heard of them.

OP
OP
M

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's been a long time since I've been on this forum. Regarding the CDT speakers, they are still singing away. No issues and my friend picked up the the same set for his 17 ram. The only issues I have , not speaker related is that I hate this stupid 8.4. I need to replace it with an aftermarket with built in crossover and eq. Tho the speakers sound great, I know I'm not getting the best out of them because Im stuck with a 3 band eq from the 8.4.