Kinda Bummed Out About the New HDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As the details trickle out, I'm kind of bummed about some of the things on the new HDs. Obviously, no one's putting a gun to my head to make me buy one but it feels like competition is pulling away from us on the new HDs.

Specifically:

• Have to step up to a 3500 & High Output package to get the best engine/transmission
    • Comp(etition) has the same "high output" diesel on their 2500 & 3500 lines
  • Still running a 6-speed transmission on the diesel
    • Comp has 10-speeds
  • Diesel High Output still only 400 hp
    • Comp is >440 hp
  • Cab & bed is unchanged (aside from interior electronics & materials)
    • Comp has all new cabs & beds
  • Cab rear floor isn't flat
    • Comp rear floors are flat
There are counterarguments, usually about Cummins vs Duramax vs Powerstroke reliability/durability. And yes, the "old" cab with updated electronics and materials is arguably competitive.

Maybe the 2022, rumored "total redesign" will be better. It's only 3 years away, after all.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They may have a 10spd trans. But the Ford and GM twins are Fugly as all hell. I’ll take a new Ram HD any day of the week over one of those 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I buy a 3-4 year old truck every ten or 12 years. Maybe by the time I am ready for another one everything will be straightened out

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I tend not to worry too much about the HP numbers but more the torque. Either way I am sure when we start seeing towing test like TFL does the Ram will probably be on top, it usually is.

The lack of the high output in the 2500 I'm pretty sure is due to the transmission. Still using the 68RFE and it is power limited. They could have put the Asien (sp?) in the 2500 but that's not a built in house transmission and would cost more driving the price of the truck up (full decked out 2019 is pushing $90K now).

I don't mind the current interior some I'm not too upset about that. My Mega has a flat rear floor.

I won't be buying one either way, prices are getting too high for my taste but if they throw a 10 speed transmission in one that might peak my interest.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tend not to worry too much about the HP numbers but more the torque. Either way I am sure when we start seeing towing test like TFL does the Ram will probably be on top, it usually is.

The lack of the high output in the 2500 I'm pretty sure is due to the transmission. Still using the 68RFE and it is power limited. They could have put the Asien (sp?) in the 2500 but that's not a built in house transmission and would cost more driving the price of the truck up (full decked out 2019 is pushing $90K now).

I don't mind the current interior some I'm not too upset about that. My Mega has a flat rear floor.

I won't be buying one either way, prices are getting too high for my taste but if they throw a 10 speed transmission in one that might peak my interest.

The mega cab floor is flat? I thought there was a driveline hump in the middle.

Obviously, there's a totally flat surface on the seatbacks when you fold both sides down but I could have sworn there was a driveline hump where your feet rest.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The mega cab floor is flat? I thought there was a driveline hump in the middle.

Obviously, there's a totally flat surface on the seatbacks when you fold both sides down but I could have sworn there was a driveline hump where your feet rest.

Actually I guess there is a slight hump in there. It's not as big (or maybe it's an illusion) as the crew cab. And it doesn't have that cup holder thing on the floor and has under seat storage. It seems flat enough to me that I wasn't considering it an issue.

used-2016-ram-2500-ram2500megacablaramieturbodiesel4x4-11246-18575448-16-1024.jpg

Last edited:

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What’s such a big deal about a full flat floor? My Crew Cab has a fold out deck under the rear seats that has done everything I need it to and makes a fold flat floor. Does all the Crew Cabs not have that?

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually I guess there is a slight hump in there. It's not as big (or maybe it's an illusion) as the crew cab. And it doesn't have that cup holder thing on the floor and has under seat storage. It seems flat enough to me that I wasn't considering it an issue.

View attachment 157014

The middle seat passenger ******* non-stop about that hump on my crew cab. It does look smaller on the mega.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What’s such a big deal about a full flat floor? My Crew Cab has a fold out deck under the rear seats that has done everything I need it to and makes a fold flat floor. Does all the Crew Cabs not have that?

Just a convenience thing - not having to fold up/down seats, followed by the false floor, when my arms are full.

A little thing, yes. But at the price points we're talking about, the sum of little things make a big difference. It's not like these are $20K trucks.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The middle seat passenger ******* non-stop about that hump on my crew cab. It does look smaller on the mega.

Tell them they have two feet, they can walk or if they have their own means of transportation, use other means.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tell them they have two feet, they can walk or if they have their own means of transportation, use other means.

Would happily do so but that would probably get me divorced - the mother in law usually rides middle seat on long trips because she's the smallest.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
  • Have to step up to a 3500 & High Output package to get the best engine/transmission
    • Comp(etition) has the same "high output" diesel on their 2500 & 3500 lines
  • Still running a 6-speed transmission on the diesel
    • Comp has 10-speeds
  • Diesel High Output still only 400 hp
    • Comp is >440 hp
Comp may have "high output", it just doesn't output high until you hit 4th gear. The 10-sp tranny was a joint development between Ford and Chevy, and really is untested in the real world. At least with the Aisin and the Ram tranny, you know what you got. And HP is just a mathematical equation of torque and RPM...Just because they spin their junk higher doesn't mean it puts out more power when and where you need it.

Can you buy a Ford for ANYWHERE near the money you can a Ram, all things being equal? Nope. Can you get a regular cab Chevy with a diesel? Not any more.

I could go on. Focus on the positives.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Would happily do so but that would probably get me divorced - the mother in law usually rides middle seat on long trips because she's the smallest.

My wife would laugh at me while telling everyone else to suck it up haha

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Haha, she used to riding in a reg cab 3/4 that bounces all over the road, mine is like driving a plush couch in comparison and na she hardly ******* to me, my wife though, she will get ******* at all the time by her mother