Knocking at start up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can somebody share a link to the redline oil they’re buying for their 5.7 Hemi please.

moulin6801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im glad I found this post, since I’m having the same problem!
Knocking sounds Only last about 10-20 secs after start up!
Did the oil change resolved the problem!!??
Thanks

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an honest dumb question....

Does a 15 second after initial start up tick, mean eminent doom? Or do you just not like the noise your engine makes?

In my limited experience, a lot of engines do that. Every Internet forum I've ever visited, wether it's dirtbikes, streetbikes, Mustangs, Ram trucks, or whatever.... There are numerous threads about "Tick on Startup".

Wornslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first two oil changes came with the new Ram I bought so I used the bulk Pennzoil Semi-Synthetic because that is all they had. So now I have to continue with the Pennzoil or buy my own and have them use it when they do the next oil change. If I use Redline will it have any effect as far as a extended warranty, is it FCA approved? Also does Redline have it's own oil filter? I do hear the ticking sound for a few seconds at start up but it's only happened a few times.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first two oil changes came with the new Ram I bought so I used the bulk Pennzoil Semi-Synthetic because that is all they had. So now I have to continue with the Pennzoil or buy my own and have them use it when they do the next oil change. If I use Redline will it have any effect as far as a extended warranty, is it FCA approved? Also does Redline have it's own oil filter? I do hear the ticking sound for a few seconds at start up but it's only happened a few times.
Redline 5-20 is "recommended" for the Chrysler spec that applies to the 5.7 hemi.

But I dont know what "recommended" means versus actually fulfilling.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

CrispySmurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone had success in resolving the "tick" with RL 5w-20 ?....or is it only 5w-30 that has worked? I'm experiencing the "tick" in my truck as well. On the verge of bringing it in to my trusted shop to look at valves. If anyone else has been down this road, please feel free to expand on your experience.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone had success in resolving the "tick" with RL 5w-20 ?....or is it only 5w-30 that has worked? I'm experiencing the "tick" in my truck as well. On the verge of bringing it in to my trusted shop to look at valves. If anyone else has been down this road, please feel free to expand on your experience.

Video of truck symptoms. ? Upload one to your tube then copy link here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russ rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2015 ram 1500 5.7 60k km.
Problem I am having is a knocking/ticking sound at cold start up, only lasts about 10-15 seconds or when I put it in drive if it doesn’t go away on its own... now the problem is is that it has only happened about 4 times in a 3 month time frame the truck is driven daily. I had it in the shop to check manifold bolts and all are good. It started after I switched oil filters. Due to them not having my usual Mobil 1 filter. I used a mopar filter instead.

In your opinion could it be my oil filter? (Drain valve) I will switch back to mobil 1 next oil change that is due right away. I was just wondering if anyone has any other reasons why it would do this sporadically and not evertime? Could it be Piston slap? And wouldn’t that happen every time I start it up?

Dodge is going to great lengths to cove up "the tick" Exhaust leak EVERY HEMI OWNER YOU SEE ASK THEM, THEY WILL TELL YOU ABOUT THE EPIC FAIL OF DODGE AND THEIR SPENDING TONS $$$ ON COVER UP INSTEAD OF MANNING UP SAVING THAT $$ AND CALL IT A RECALL THEIR THRIFTY PURCHASE OF LOW NICKLE CONTENT IN THEIR EXOUST (WONT TAKE HEAT WELL) UNDERSIZED BOLTS (LOW NICKLE CONTENT) JUNK, BEST TO YOU IN YOUR RESOLVE. ITS 800$ A SIDE TO FIX SO DODGE IS SHYING AWAY FROM ACCOUNTABILITY FOR HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF UNSUSPECTING VICTIMS. STILL GETTING BAILED OUT BY US HEMI OWNERS LONG AFTER THEIR TAKING OUR TAX $$ BAILOUT

THESE COMMISSIONED "SMOKE SCREENERS" ARE POSTING FALSE FACTS TO THROW YOU UNTIL IT IS OUT OF WARRANTEE AND ON YOUR DIME 800$$ A SIDE! DODGE HEMI, JUNK EXHAUST AND BOLTS WOULD BE AN EASY FIX WITH HEADERS AND DIDTCH THE JUNK MANIFOLDS.

russ rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

ITS THE DODGE EXHAUST AND BOLTS ARE JUNK! STOP MISLEADING PEOPLE WITH THIS FALSE POST. EVERY MECHANIC I KNOW HAS ASKED "WHEN YOU FIXING THAT EXOUST LEAK?" WHEN I HAVE THE TRUCK SERVICED AND WHEN I SEE THEM IN TOWN. STILL NO RECALL EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE I ASK WITH HEMI SAYS THE SAME THING YES "THE TICK" WE KNOW IT WELL THE EPIC FAIL OF DODGES EXHAUST LEAK.IF YOU HAVE HAD IT SERVICED AT A GOOD GARAGE THEY KNOW WHEN YOU PULL IN. TRY AND SELL YOUR HEMI TRUCK?? NO ONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE DODGE MANIFOLDS WILL BUY IT WITHOUT HEADERS ON IT SO GOOD LUCK!

READ ALL THESE FAKE POSTS THAT ARE CLEARLY THE EXHAUST LEAK FAKE POSTERS ARE CLAIMING OIL IS THE PROBLEM??? WHAT A JOKE! THESE FAKE POSTS ARE COMMISSIONED $$$$$$ DODGE WOULD RATHER WASTE $$$$ TO PAY FAKE POSTERS THAN CALL IT WHAT IT IS "A RECALL" AND PAY A MECHANIC TO FIX IT ONCE AND FOR ALL. THEY WERE BAILED OUT BY US TAX PAYERS, NOW THEY ARE ASKING US DODGE OWNERS TO BAIL THEM OUT AGAIN!! GRATITUDE AT ITS BEST!!

russ rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
STOP POSTING FALSE INFORMATION ABOUT OIL BEING THE PROBLEM WHEN YOU KNOW IT IS THE EXHAUST LEAK!! WOW IF DODGE WOULD PUT FAKE POSTERS MONEY TOWARDS FIXING THEIR EPIC FAILED EXHAUST INSTEAD OF COMMISSIONING PEOPLE TO LIE THEY WOULD GET MORE CUSTOMERS. THE LAST TAX PAYER BAIL OUT OF DODGE WAS A JOKE AND THEIR WONT BE ANOTHER IF US TAX PAYERS AND DODGE HEMI OWNERS HAVE A SAY

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ITS THE DODGE EXHAUST AND BOLTS ARE JUNK! STOP MISLEADING PEOPLE WITH THIS FALSE POST. EVERY MECHANIC I KNOW HAS ASKED "WHEN YOU FIXING THAT EXOUST LEAK?" WHEN I HAVE THE TRUCK SERVICED AND WHEN I SEE THEM IN TOWN. STILL NO RECALL EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE I ASK WITH HEMI SAYS THE SAME THING YES "THE TICK" WE KNOW IT WELL THE EPIC FAIL OF DODGES EXHAUST LEAK.IF YOU HAVE HAD IT SERVICED AT A GOOD GARAGE THEY KNOW WHEN YOU PULL IN. TRY AND SELL YOUR HEMI TRUCK?? NO ONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE DODGE MANIFOLDS WILL BUY IT WITHOUT HEADERS ON IT SO GOOD LUCK!

READ ALL THESE FAKE POSTS THAT ARE CLEARLY THE EXHAUST LEAK FAKE POSTERS ARE CLAIMING OIL IS THE PROBLEM??? WHAT A JOKE! THESE FAKE POSTS ARE COMMISSIONED $$$$$$ DODGE WOULD RATHER WASTE $$$$ TO PAY FAKE POSTERS THAN CALL IT WHAT IT IS "A RECALL" AND PAY A MECHANIC TO FIX IT ONCE AND FOR ALL. THEY WERE BAILED OUT BY US TAX PAYERS, NOW THEY ARE ASKING US DODGE OWNERS TO BAIL THEM OUT AGAIN!! GRATITUDE AT ITS BEST!!

Umm, you do realize there are multiple "tick" noises that the Hemi is known for?

Yes, one of them is broken exhaust manifold bolts. But its not the ONLY one that happens.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Umm, you do realize there are multiple "tick" noises that the Hemi is known for?

Yes, one of them is broken exhaust manifold bolts. But its not the ONLY one that happens.

lol, dont feed that guy.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Actually yes, for years I had success with 5w20, and have since went to 5w30 redline and do prefer it, but I wouldn't hesitate myself of going back to 5w20 for my truck. The problem is other members like h395 have only had success with 5w30 redline, so if you are taking bets 5w30 is a "better bet" based on results. In his truck it was better on 5w20 but tick was still there. First, identify it isn't mani bolts, then consider redline in my opinion. Pair it with a royal purple filter for best results. Read the hemi tick thread in my signature, and after that maybe the oil filter thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963