Knocking at start up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
STOP POSTING FALSE INFORMATION ABOUT OIL BEING THE PROBLEM WHEN YOU KNOW IT IS THE EXHAUST LEAK!! WOW IF DODGE WOULD PUT FAKE POSTERS MONEY TOWARDS FIXING THEIR EPIC FAILED EXHAUST INSTEAD OF COMMISSIONING PEOPLE TO LIE THEY WOULD GET MORE CUSTOMERS. THE LAST TAX PAYER BAIL OUT OF DODGE WAS A JOKE AND THEIR WONT BE ANOTHER IF US TAX PAYERS AND DODGE HEMI OWNERS HAVE A SAY
You clearly have no idea what your talking about. I'm in my 3rd ram truck and I've had broken exhaust manifold bolts, one of the worst hot idle Hemi Ticks ever, early morning engine chatter, piston slap and all have there own unique sound. The band of brothers on this forum have proven the effectiveness of Redline. Multiple cam and lifter failures do to poor oil selection reported on this forum.
I invite you to read the synthetic oil thread and learn from what these guys have accomplished.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anyone had success in resolving the "tick" with RL 5w-20 ?....or is it only 5w-30 that has worked? I'm experiencing the "tick" in my truck as well. On the verge of bringing it in to my trusted shop to look at valves. If anyone else has been down this road, please feel free to expand on your experience.

To my knowledge, it is the 5/30 redline that has successfully eliminated the tick.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
ITS THE DODGE EXHAUST AND BOLTS ARE JUNK! STOP MISLEADING PEOPLE WITH THIS FALSE POST. EVERY MECHANIC I KNOW HAS ASKED "WHEN YOU FIXING THAT EXOUST LEAK?" WHEN I HAVE THE TRUCK SERVICED AND WHEN I SEE THEM IN TOWN. STILL NO RECALL EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE I ASK WITH HEMI SAYS THE SAME THING YES "THE TICK" WE KNOW IT WELL THE EPIC FAIL OF DODGES EXHAUST LEAK.IF YOU HAVE HAD IT SERVICED AT A GOOD GARAGE THEY KNOW WHEN YOU PULL IN. TRY AND SELL YOUR HEMI TRUCK?? NO ONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE DODGE MANIFOLDS WILL BUY IT WITHOUT HEADERS ON IT SO GOOD LUCK!

READ ALL THESE FAKE POSTS THAT ARE CLEARLY THE EXHAUST LEAK FAKE POSTERS ARE CLAIMING OIL IS THE PROBLEM??? WHAT A JOKE! THESE FAKE POSTS ARE COMMISSIONED $$$$$$ DODGE WOULD RATHER WASTE $$$$ TO PAY FAKE POSTERS THAN CALL IT WHAT IT IS "A RECALL" AND PAY A MECHANIC TO FIX IT ONCE AND FOR ALL. THEY WERE BAILED OUT BY US TAX PAYERS, NOW THEY ARE ASKING US DODGE OWNERS TO BAIL THEM OUT AGAIN!! GRATITUDE AT ITS BEST!!

LOL , FAKE NEWS AND LET'S YELL IT WITH THE CAPS LOCK ON.

MANY DIFFERENT TICKS AND BROKEN MANIFOLD BOLTS ARE JUST ONE TYPE FOO !!!!!!!!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ITS THE DODGE EXHAUST AND BOLTS ARE JUNK! STOP MISLEADING PEOPLE WITH THIS FALSE POST. EVERY MECHANIC I KNOW HAS ASKED "WHEN YOU FIXING THAT EXOUST LEAK?" WHEN I HAVE THE TRUCK SERVICED AND WHEN I SEE THEM IN TOWN. STILL NO RECALL EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE I ASK WITH HEMI SAYS THE SAME THING YES "THE TICK" WE KNOW IT WELL THE EPIC FAIL OF DODGES EXHAUST LEAK.IF YOU HAVE HAD IT SERVICED AT A GOOD GARAGE THEY KNOW WHEN YOU PULL IN. TRY AND SELL YOUR HEMI TRUCK?? NO ONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE DODGE MANIFOLDS WILL BUY IT WITHOUT HEADERS ON IT SO GOOD LUCK!

READ ALL THESE FAKE POSTS THAT ARE CLEARLY THE EXHAUST LEAK FAKE POSTERS ARE CLAIMING OIL IS THE PROBLEM??? WHAT A JOKE! THESE FAKE POSTS ARE COMMISSIONED $$$$$$ DODGE WOULD RATHER WASTE $$$$ TO PAY FAKE POSTERS THAN CALL IT WHAT IT IS "A RECALL" AND PAY A MECHANIC TO FIX IT ONCE AND FOR ALL. THEY WERE BAILED OUT BY US TAX PAYERS, NOW THEY ARE ASKING US DODGE OWNERS TO BAIL THEM OUT AGAIN!! GRATITUDE AT ITS BEST!!

Agree, FCA should step up and improve the manifold and bolts. That being said, there is a difference between the manifold tick and the hemitich. The hemi tick has been around since 2003, the intro of the new hemi. There are too many members who have eliminated the tick with a thicker heavier oil to ignore their findings. You might want to follow the advice above and read the oil thread. Maybe give redline a try before before accusing peoplr of spreading false information or being paid by Chrysler.

russ rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This site has some legitimate members like myself and one or two others asking legitimate questions. The rest are commissioned trolls that work for dodge misleading EVERYONE on "the tick" NOT A KNOCK (LIFTERS OR RODS OR WRIST PINS) BUT AN EXHAUST TICK,

A SHAME AS I CANT BE ALONE HERE ON HOW MUCH I LIKE MY DODGE AND WHAT IT CAN DO. THIS "TICK THING" IS NOTHING AND AN EASY FIX JUST MAKE HEADERS AN INDUSTRY STANDARD. AND MAKE IT RETROACTIVE. NOT MAKE US PAY FOR THEIR MISTAKES AT THE TUNE OF $1600 FOR BOTH SIDES EVERY 6 YEARS AS THE "NEW MANIFOLDS AND BOLTS" ARE THE VERY SAME OLD ONES THAT WERE PUT ON WHEN IT WAS NEW. THESE TRUCKS GO FOR $60- $70,000.00 ABSOLUTELY AFFORDABLE FOR DODGE TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND MAKE IT A RECALL

THESE DODGE SUCK UPS TRYING TO KEEP THEIR FAKE POSTING JOBS WILL TRY TO MISLEAD YOU BUT THEY KNOW. IT IS THEIR JOB TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT.
CAPS ARE EASIER TO READ BUT THESE CLOWNS LIVING IN THEIR MOMS BASEMENT WILL CALL IT A RANT, I LOVE MY TRUCK, DONT LOVE DODGES SHORT CHANGING US WITH JUNK EXHAUST AND BOLTS. IF THESE FAKE POSTING CLOWNS HAD A MORTGAGE OR RENT THEY WOULD GET A REAL JOB. IM BETTING THEY DON'T EVEN OWN A HEMI.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
This site has some legitimate members like myself and one or two others asking legitimate questions. The rest are commissioned trolls that work for dodge misleading EVERYONE on "the tick" NOT A KNOCK (LIFTERS OR RODS OR WRIST PINS) BUT AN EXHAUST TICK,

A SHAME AS I CANT BE ALONE HERE ON HOW MUCH I LIKE MY DODGE AND WHAT IT CAN DO. THIS "TICK THING" IS NOTHING AND AN EASY FIX JUST MAKE HEADERS AN INDUSTRY STANDARD. AND MAKE IT RETROACTIVE. NOT MAKE US PAY FOR THEIR MISTAKES AT THE TUNE OF $1600 FOR BOTH SIDES EVERY 6 YEARS AS THE "NEW MANIFOLDS AND BOLTS" ARE THE VERY SAME OLD ONES THAT WERE PUT ON WHEN IT WAS NEW. THESE TRUCKS GO FOR $60- $70,000.00 ABSOLUTELY AFFORDABLE FOR DODGE TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND MAKE IT A RECALL

THESE DODGE SUCK UPS TRYING TO KEEP THEIR FAKE POSTING JOBS WILL TRY TO MISLEAD YOU BUT THEY KNOW. IT IS THEIR JOB TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT.
CAPS ARE EASIER TO READ BUT THESE CLOWNS LIVING IN THEIR MOMS BASEMENT WILL CALL IT A RANT, I LOVE MY TRUCK, DONT LOVE DODGES SHORT CHANGING US WITH JUNK EXHAUST AND BOLTS. IF THESE FAKE POSTING CLOWNS HAD A MORTGAGE OR RENT THEY WOULD GET A REAL JOB. IM BETTING THEY DON'T EVEN OWN A HEMI.

LOL YoU ThInK pEoPlE oN HeRe ArE GeTtInG pAid BuY dODgE tO cOmE HeRe aNd pOsT MiSleAdInG iNfO aBoUt tHe ReAsOn WhY ThE mOtOrS tIcKs, sIR yOu mIgHt bE aLiTtLe CRAZY.
LoL :insane::insane::signs6:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

This is hilarious your a idiot lmaoo you have no idea what your talking about. Hemi tick is caused by the cam/lifters exhaust manifold tick goes away when warm they are 100% 2 different things.

Last edited:

NoStopN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since people have asked about the different grades of RL oil, what about the filter? Everyone says to use the RP, but are there other options that could be as good while being more common to find & lower in price? Asking for a friend. :D

Also, I'm glad to see legitimate members who only joined 11 days ago & made 12 posts, all of them regarding the exhaust bolts. We should listen. The sky is falling.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since people have asked about the different grades of RL oil, what about the filter? Everyone says to use the RP, but are there other options that could be as good while being more common to find & lower in price? Asking for a friend. :D

Also, I'm glad to see legitimate members who only joined 11 days ago & made 12 posts, all of them regarding the exhaust bolts. We should listen. The sky is falling.

Fram Ultra or Amsoil are other popular filter alternatives. Mobil1 full synth filters too, but Im not sure where they fall compared against the RP or Fram.

I think the Fram Ultra is probably the best bang for the buck, maybe not quite as good performance as the RP but very close and typically 5 or 6 bux less per filter.

I personally went with RP because my local Pep Boys stocks them and seems to have 15-20% off pretty regularly.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Read my oil filter thread in my sig, many contributions from ram forum members. As said before Fram Ultra might be the best local option, and in fact with the testers criteria that included value, fram ultra won that well thought out gm filter test. Does you friend have engine tick?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Once in a while (not often) we get a "early release mental patient" pop into the thread. They will never consider or respect the experience, knowledge or facts reported by members that give others hours of their time. Over the last year as I have made my "get current" oil and filter journey. I have not found one sales hustle post. Yes we have our strong preferences,,,based on RESULTS. Frankly, I don't give damn if somebody works for RL, PUP or Amsoil. As an adult, I am capable of sorting out the information that this forum provides. Exhaust leak sound versus valve train sound, has been well documented here. It has helped others, who may not have the experience, make a determination. So it is satisfying to see, those that contribute, stand together when we have a moment of distraction. Thanks to every one of you that have helped me sort out and understand what I needed to know.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL YoU ThInK pEoPlE oN HeRe ArE GeTtInG pAid BuY dODgE tO cOmE HeRe aNd pOsT MiSleAdInG iNfO aBoUt tHe ReAsOn WhY ThE mOtOrS tIcKs, sIR yOu mIgHt bE aLiTtLe CRAZY.
LoL :insane::insane::signs6:
******* nuts is more like it! The only place I get paid from is behind my truck in my sig pic where I work for a living. How can somebody join a forum and start talking **** to all the members after a week and a half.....granted I haven't been a member but since February but damn!

NoStopN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does you friend have engine tick?

It's an internet joke. Asking for a friend is meant that you are asking for yourself. Since my Ram is brand new, I want to make sure I'm up to speed with any potential problems. This is my first Hemi & I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty about the Hemi until now. You know what the G.I. Joe cartoons used to say: knowing is half the battle. :laughing1:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye