Knocking sound at high RPMs (v6)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toasamoa1010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 VVT
I have a "17 RAM 1500, issue is there is a slight knocking sound when I accelerate. The engine doesn't as this seems to be the common issue when I do a search but when it's warmed up and I've been driving it for about 20mins, I notice is that when stepping on it, I hear a knocking sound as it picks up speed. Wondering if anyone has experienced this and if it was resolved and the resolution for the issue.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a "17 RAM 1500, issue is there is a slight knocking sound when I accelerate. The engine doesn't as this seems to be the common issue when I do a search but when it's warmed up and I've been driving it for about 20mins, I notice is that when stepping on it, I hear a knocking sound as it picks up speed. Wondering if anyone has experienced this and if it was resolved and the resolution for the issue.
First, how many miles are on the truck? Are you the original owner? Have you had all of the regularly scheduled maintenance done on the truck or have you performed the necessary maintenance yourself?

How long has it been since your last oil change?

What did the oil look like?

Can you duplicate the sound/noise while sitting in park while revving the motor? Try holding the engine at 2500RPM and then fluctuate the engine RPM up to 3200RPM and then back to 2500RPM and then do it over and over. This action simulates engine loading and unloading and it puts pressure on the rod bearings and then lets the pressure off of the rod bearings. If your noise is a rod bearing noise you should be able to duplicate the sound.

OP
OP
Toasamoa1010

Toasamoa1010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 VVT
I am the original owner, I have put about 38k miles on the truck, the truck idles fine with not ticks...etc...the issue only happens when its been on road for a while and what I want to accelerate the slight knock as it picks up speed if that makes sense. I'll try "Try holding the engine at 2500RPM and then fluctuate the engine RPM up to 3200RPM and then back to 2500RPM and then do it over and over. This action simulates engine loading and unloading and it puts pressure on the rod bearings and then lets the pressure off of the rod bearings" tonight and see

-its due for an oil change but this even happens even after an oil change
-Oil color is dark brown, will get around to changing the oil this week

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put it in Drive and brake pedal at the same time and increase the RPM's see if the noise varies that puts more of a load on it, you may have something going on in the lower end, how is your oil pressure can you record it so we can hear it.

OP
OP
Toasamoa1010

Toasamoa1010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 VVT
Put it in Drive and brake pedal at the same time and increase the RPM's see if the noise varies that puts more of a load on it, you may have something going on in the lower end, how is your oil pressure can you record it so we can hear it.

Will try that

OP
OP
Toasamoa1010

Toasamoa1010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 VVT

- Did that above last night and I wasn't able to replicate the noise

OP
OP
Toasamoa1010

Toasamoa1010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6 VVT

- Did that above last night and I wasn't able to replicate the noise

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
U-joints? I'm not even sure if these newer trucks have U-joints in the driveshaft, but if the sounds only come with the vehicle in motion, I think of driveshafts---or maybe front joints at the wheels if it's 4WD.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wasn't there somewhere on here about the upper heads duel cams for intake and exhaust on driver side and passenger side Heads the cam bearings going bad, you may be getting a knock from that it would do it under light acceleration.

Michael BNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I have a 2016 Ram Big Horn crew Cab with 42000 gentle miles on it but it knocks like crazy.. Never tried high end oil but after reading the suggestions on this thread I am going to put redline in it this weekend.. I made a short recording so you can hear the knocking.. It's really bad when I first start it up but it calms down after about a minute.. it's really bad in cold weather what do you all think.. Listen to this. ... well damn.. I can't load the mp4 file here.. it was an m4a file from my phone and I converted it to mp4 but it still won't let me
any thoughts...?