Kooks Shorty Headers Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
got my email from summit, kooks shorties have shipped!

i was looking around kooks' website, man their full exhaust for the 2019-2020 ram sounds glorious!

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
got my email from summit, kooks shorties have shipped!

i was looking around kooks' website, man their full exhaust for the 2019-2020 ram sounds glorious!

Those don’t sound bad at all

That’s always how I feel whenever I’m stumble onto stainless works website. The header and full exhaust clips are glorious. Especially then new Legend and Redline systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
joesstripclub

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you notice any change to MPG or around town feel?

I was thinking about it this weekend and I did change from 5w-20 to 5w-30 at about the same time I did the headers, so I probably gained a bit more MPG and HP than I realized but lost a bit due to the thicker oil.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking about doing mine Before I have an issue with my exhaust manifolds cracking in hopes that it will be an easier install with no broken bolts to try to remove. Kooks definitely makes nice stuff.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Got mine installed yesterday. Boy, that was a big job, harder than I expected! On the Passenger side I had to raise the engine about an inch in order to get the header in. The drivers side was a squeeze, but not quite so bad. I used the Felpro gaskets, I think I will do a re-torque before I put the inner fenders back anyway. I really appreciate the tip from this forum to get some swivel ratchet box wrenches, really helped as some of those bolts are a bear to get to.

My headers came with the wrong mounting bolts(!) so I had to take a break and go to town and pick up some. The bag was labeled correctly, but they were too big in diameter. You might check yours @cityredneck.

IMG_20201031_144755541.jpg

Last edited:

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got mine installed yesterday. Boy, that was a big job, harder than I expected! On the Passenger side I had to raise the engine about an inch in order to get the header in. The drivers side was a squeeze, but not quite so bad. I used the Felpro gaskets, I think I will do a re-torque before I put the inner fenders back anyway. I really appreciate the tip from this forum to get some swivel ratchet box wrenches, really helped as some of those bolts are a bear to get to.

My headers came with the wrong mounting bolts(!) so I had to take a break and go to town and pick up some. The bag was labeled correctly, but they were too big in diameter. You might check yours @cityredneck.

View attachment 226261

thanks for the heads up!

those look great! do you really notice any difference or sound?

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
thanks for the heads up!

those look great! do you really notice any difference or sound?

I did not notice a difference in sound (except for no exhaust leak on startup!!). I have stock exhaust with the exception of the headers. It was a rural drive home last night, so I was not able to get into it much...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

View attachment 226261
Looks great!

Did you notice any difference in power at all? I know my JBAs seemed to make the engine rev a little easier than the manifolds...

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Looks great!

Did you notice any difference in power at all? I know my JBAs seemed to make the engine rev a little easier than the manifolds...

I did not notice any power increase on the short (15 mile) drive home last night. It did seem quite responsive, but that may just be my anticipation. Kooks claims a 25 HP increase at 5,000 RPM, I maybe got to 3,000 RPM last night. We'll see how it goes.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Done a lot of header swaps over the years, and honestly, have never seen a notable performance increase on a stock mild performance engine. Tubular header install along with a cam swap, induction change, full exhaust, yes, absolutely. On the positive, once the install is done additional performance mods will be easy to do. A stock NA engine can only reach so much VE. As packaged from the factory, maybe it might be in the 70- 75% range (you might be able to find dyno sessions data on the net) modifying and tuning might get it to 80-85%. A well tuned engine built for racing can get into the 90%+ range, and of course adding boost is required to get above 100%.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Done a lot of header swaps over the years, and honestly, have never seen a notable performance increase on a stock mild performance engine. Tubular header install along with a cam swap, induction change, full exhaust, yes, absolutely. On the positive, once the install is done additional performance mods will be easy to do. A stock NA engine can only reach so much VE. As packaged from the factory, maybe it might be in the 70- 75% range (you might be able to find dyno sessions data on the net) modifying and tuning might get it to 80-85%. A well tuned engine built for racing can get into the 90%+ range, and of course adding boost is required to get above 100%.

Went from 14.1's with stock manifolds /catback and Diablo 93 canned tune,to 13.4's with long tubes /same catback and custom tune. Take a look at the stock log manifolds some day,you'll see why these trucks have a noticable gain with long tubes.Peanut ports don't even come close to describing the stock cast iron manifolds,and they feed into a poorly designed log

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went from 14.1's with stock manifolds /catback and Diablo 93 canned tune,to 13.4's with long tubes /same catback and custom tune. Take a look at the stock log manifolds some day,you'll see why these trucks have a noticable gain with long tubes.Peanut ports don't even come close to describing the stock cast iron manifolds,and they feed into a poorly designed log

Nice gain. .7 ET gain is notable, what was the MPH before and after? Not a good comparison, but you'll get the idea.
'69 Chevelle, 460" BBC. 3.73 gears. Street driven 4070# with driver, drag radials, full exhaust. Put it together, went to track, car ran 11.90-12.00 at 112-113MPH. No other changes but technique and tuning, car eventually ran 11.47 at 116MPH.

My point wasn't to denigrate the benefit of a tubular header install (even a shorty), but to reinforce having those installed will really show benefits as/if he adds mods.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nice gain. .7 ET gain is notable, what was the MPH before and after? Not a good comparison, but you'll get the idea.
'69 Chevelle, 460" BBC. 3.73 gears. Street driven 4070# with driver, drag radials, full exhaust. Put it together, went to track, car ran 11.90-12.00 at 112-113MPH. No other changes but technique and tuning, car eventually ran 11.47 at 116MPH.

My point wasn't to denigrate the benefit of a tubular header install (even a shorty), but to reinforce having those installed will really show benefits as/if he adds mods.

Went from roughly 93/94 mph to 100 mph,noticable gain in horsepower,lol. The new cars these days are impressive,i had a 68 Z when i was a kid,went 1070's with an aluminium headed 433 BB on a 150 shot back in 84,was fast for the day and made some money on the street,but as far as being nice to drive,you had to be under 25 to enjoy it.It swallowed expensive fuel like it was going out of style,idled at about 1,000rpm,and at 60 mph was screaming down the road at almost 4,000 with 4.88's and a Turbo 400,car was terrible to daily drive,but i thought it was great at the time,lol. My wifes new 1320 Challenger runs 11.80's / 115+mph at 3,000ft DA ,has A/C , adaptive cruise etc., and pulls down 30+ mpg if drove easy,plus it's a nice car to drive a couple hundred miles,lolDSCN5367.JPG

Last edited: