lack of power or throttle response?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
It's nothing for me to panic about but I want to know what's causing this. There's no stalling or losing power while it's happening.
I'm driving on the road, everything shifts fine but I noticed when I step on my gas peddle an inch or two more, I don't notice any push or feel like the truck will pick up speed. My foot feels like it's pushing the peddle in alot to keep it's speed comparing to other cars/ trucks I've driven. But when I want to pick up speed on the highway, I sort of have to push it further down then the trans would "downshift". Especially when going up hills, I'd have to somewhat lead foot it. It's weird to me because this is a V8. I'm just used to muscle cars. I don't feel that "kick".
Like I said, there's no stalling or losing power. Just a feel of lack of power/ response to gain while driving. I'm not hauling anything.

My ideas why this is happening:
Throttle response/ tighten throttle cable.
Weight of truck. I'm running 35/12.50/17 muds.
Tune up needed.
Transmission needs rebuilding. (Last resort)

Any ideas or does anyone have this?

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
i had the same problem in my 05 dakota with the 4.7 like id be cruising 60 down the highway and would get on the gas and notice no change in my RPM's and would only very slowly accelerate. the problem for me was an exhaust leak. the 4.7 moves that little truck around very quick and it has no problem acceleration off the line or in town, just when im going faster it does not want to accelerate

OP
OP
H

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
I do have an exhaust leak which I am going to fix this weekend. As for tires, the size mentioned above and they're BFgoodrich.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he means is with oversize tires your going to notice a loss of accel unless you correct your gear ratio. With 35s you should have at least 4.10 and could go as low as 4.56

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Tire size and tune up most likely.
Your cable might be stretched a little, but it won't cause THAT big a problem.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same exact problem but it comes and goes. i put about 400 miles on my truck today for about 300 of them i was fine the thing stayed in overdrive over hills around corners into a head wind whatever, but on my way back it lost it and i could barely sustain 65 without shifting all the damn time so i set the cruise to 65 and let it do what it does (my cruise control wont downshift the tranny). and strangely enough if i sustain 65 sometimes itll just drop 2 mph or so and take a bit to get back to 65 same amount of throttle depression, im leaning twoards TPS so im just gonna replace that even if its not necessary i like new parts :D

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Goodluck on the tps replacement. I tried replacing mine and my truck ran even worse than with the old tps. I even drove around a few miles with the new tps( it was the correct tps but it mounted upside down from my old one) and my truck just ran and idle for crap.

OP
OP
H

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
What he means is with oversize tires your going to notice a loss of accel unless you correct your gear ratio. With 35s you should have at least 4.10 and could go as low as 4.56

I'll have to research the gears then. Thanks.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Ever figure out the cause of the lack of power? I noticed today coming home from dinner that when I gave it a slight push on the pedal, in overdrive, I noticed it felt almost like it was bogging down rather speed up. If I gave it enough throttle to downshift, it picked up fine but any small push on it and it bogged..