Lack of Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys. I'm having an on going issue with my 2008 Ram 1500 hemi. It starts great, runs great, and have no engine codes. I just changed all the plugs, and cleaned the TB (Issue was happening before this maintenance). The problem I'm having is it seems like it has a lack of power sometimes. Sometimes when I'm driving, and I want to give it some gas, it sometimes will act normal, sometimes it wont do much at all, or sometimes you can hear the exhaust going up and down (sound).

Any suggestions? Hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to get at.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 250000Km

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2008 might have MDS but I'm not that savy with what years do or don't

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hurley91

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
2008 might have MDS but I'm not that savy with what years do or don't

It does have MDS, but I turned it off. Its been this way for 4 years now.

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well there's a million different possible causes. I have a 2007 1500 5.7. This engine has MDS. It's when the engine shuts fuel and possibly spark, though I'm not sure about that one, to 4 of the 8 cylinders, saving fuel when the engine is under a 50% load, up to operating temp, and over ~30 mph. This could be your issue. Another could be your fuel pump, injectors, transmission, MDS solenoid, lifters. You really should take someone who knows a thing or two about your engine for a ride and show them what you mean. It's hard to diagnose a problem over forums, but I'm thinking it's probably your MDS is staying active at times when it shouldn't. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys. I'm having an on going issue with my 2008 Ram 1500 hemi. It starts great, runs great, and have no engine codes. I just changed all the plugs, and cleaned the TB (Issue was happening before this maintenance). The problem I'm having is it seems like it has a lack of power sometimes. Sometimes when I'm driving, and I want to give it some gas, it sometimes will act normal, sometimes it wont do much at all, or sometimes you can hear the exhaust going up and down (sound).

Any suggestions? Hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to get at.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 250000Km
Another thing is I noticed with my '06 sometimes there will be a code but it won't show up on the dashlight for some reason, if you have a scanner it never hurts to double check

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would check fuel pressure at the rail and make sure it’s where it is supposed to be first before you start “throwing” parts at it.

OP
OP
Hurley91

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well there's a million different possible causes. I have a 2007 1500 5.7. This engine has MDS. It's when the engine shuts fuel and possibly spark, though I'm not sure about that one, to 4 of the 8 cylinders, saving fuel when the engine is under a 50% load, up to operating temp, and over ~30 mph. This could be your issue. Another could be your fuel pump, injectors, transmission, MDS solenoid, lifters. You really should take someone who knows a thing or two about your engine for a ride and show them what you mean. It's hard to diagnose a problem over forums, but I'm thinking it's probably your MDS is staying active at times when it shouldn't. Good luck

I have the MDS turned off. I'll check it again to just make sure it's off. But the issue I'm having does kind of feel like the MDS is on. Sometimes it wont gear down when I want some power.

Another thing is I noticed with my '06 sometimes there will be a code but it won't show up on the dashlight for some reason, if you have a scanner it never hurts to double check

I'll check that as well.

OP
OP
Hurley91

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would check fuel pressure at the rail and make sure it’s where it is supposed to be first before you start “throwing” parts at it.

Thats a good idea. I'll check that tomorrow.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those "Sometimes" problems are really hard to pin down. You change this, and change that, and still no luck. It gets expensive in a hurry.

I'm just smart enough to know I'm not very smart. In this situation, I'd take it to a professional. Might be the cheapest thing in the long run.

Good luck. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Our transmissions are programmed to stay in the highest gear possible for economy. Sounds like it could be lugging in a high gear when you notice a lack of power. I would manually shift through the gears a few trips and see if that's the problem.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Our transmissions are programmed to stay in the highest gear possible for economy. Sounds like it could be lugging in a high gear when you notice a lack of power. I would manually shift through the gears a few trips and see if that's the problem.

Although my 545 is proving durable, I'm not a fan of it's shifting characteristics and perceived lack of power.

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Although my 545 is proving durable, I'm not a fan of it's shifting characteristics and perceived lack of power.
You can only manually shift in 1 and 2 in the 545. You can try that... it's not like the new 8 speed where you can shift through all of em.

OP
OP
Hurley91

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So a little update on my issues. My truck still has the lack of power problem. A few months ago, I got a P0404 code (EGR). I bought a new EGR valve, I blew the tube out to make sure it wasn't clogged, sprayed some brake clean down the tube, replaced the EGR, and deleted the code (also disconnected the battery). I was hoping this was the problem I've been having, but there was no change in power after this. Fast forward to yesterday, my truck threw another P04040 (EGR) code.

I don't know what to do. Obviously there is a separate issue that is causing it to throw this code, or that is causing the EGR valve to fail.

Please help me

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remember putting a Standard EGR valve in mine. It lasted a month. Then I bit the bullet and put a Chrysler one in. A year later, still going.