Lamin x vs yellow bulbs (fog lights)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Decided to try some yellow fogs. Given all the rain we've been having lately, I've found my lights are almost too bright and reflect off the wet roads. Question is, is there any difference between the yellow film or clear lens with yellow bulbs? I just bought a new set of leds for the fogs, but haven't installed them yet. So, what's the consensus? One better than the other? Or are they roughly the same?

akordboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yellow bulbs typically have a coating on them that wears off. I've have Lamix on my fogs for 2 years and pretty much look the same as the day I put them on.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
With halogen bulbs there is almost no difference between a yellow lens and a yellow bulb as the actual color of the burner is the same at about 3200 Kelvin. With a white led the light output is significantly reduced by the yellow lens as the majority of the lumens is around 6000 Kelvin but the yellow lens is trying to block anything over 2800 Kelvin. A yellow led bulb is doped during the led manufacturing process to maximize light output at around 2800 Kelvin.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Personally I vote Lamin-X ...great stuff. Either should work optically for you but Lamin-X is visibly tinted even with the light off.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird how you can buy 4000k LED bulbs for your house everywhere but nobody makes automotive headlamps that color.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally I vote Lamin-X ...great stuff. Either should work optically for you but Lamin-X is visibly tinted even with the light off.

I ended up ordering a small roll instead of the precut pieces. Figure it'll be slightly easier to apply and then I could trim to fit. Once the weather breaks, I'll pull the fog housings off and apply it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I ended up ordering a small roll instead of the precut pieces. Figure it'll be slightly easier to apply and then I could trim to fit. Once the weather breaks, I'll pull the fog housings off and apply it.
You'll be more satisfied with cutting them to fit yourself. The precut ones are too small, I'm guessing to aid installation when the fogs remain mounted. The instructions will say wet or dry install but it is MUCH easier and more forgiving to do a wet install.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll be more satisfied with cutting them to fit yourself. The precut ones are too small, I'm guessing to aid installation when the fogs remain mounted. The instructions will say wet or dry install but it is MUCH easier and more forgiving to do a wet install.

Warm, soapy water helps too.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Warm, soapy water helps too.
I'm not sure if you should use soap. It has adhesive on one side but I don't know if it would hurt it.

In my last order they actually included a small water spray bottle.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I still haven't gotten around to getting this done. Hoping this weekend if it stays dry.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A way simpler solution and the best of both worlds is these. I have had mine since the spring and they work great. No additional wiring. Just turn the lights on and off and they change color. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...hiteyellow-4500-lumensset-fanless/5122/11671/
You're right, it would have been simpler, but I actuality, it took maybe 15 minutes to remove the lights and apply the film and re-install. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the look or not, so in that case, I'd rather spend $7 on film that I could remove if I didn't like the outcome. I may at some point switch over to the switchback fogs, but I want to see how how I like this setup first.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had yellow leds. Best decision I made. Expensive but the output was phenomenal and at night during fog or rain I was only hindered by how fast I was driving. When I switched to my off-road bumper I installed yellow fog pods since I liked the look and output if the yellow fogs.

CB66D6D9-D797-427C-A580-866B009C279B.jpeg

1D03C839-DC91-45FC-BD7E-C9D9B10D484D.jpeg

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
A way simpler solution and the best of both worlds is these. I have had mine since the spring and they work great. No additional wiring. Just turn the lights on and off and they change color. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...hiteyellow-4500-lumensset-fanless/5122/11671/

I didn't need additional wiring either for those that are unaware. Mine turn on and off also. Yes Morimoto is more expensive but after owning these and seeing LED's in stock housings Morimoto doesn't blind on coming traffic. They have a perfect cutoff to do the job of fog lights.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't need additional wiring either for those that are unaware. Mine turn on and off also. Yes Morimoto is more expensive but after owning these and seeing LED's in stock housings Morimoto doesn't blind on coming traffic. They have a perfect cutoff to do the job of fog lights.

Morimoto requires you to replace the stock housings and they are one color. I was offering an LED upgrade that installs with no tools in minutes and offers BOTH White and Yellow light. And if you install the LED's properly their is a perfect non-blinding cutoff.

I considered the Morimoto fogs when i was doing upgrades on the truck. I watched the videos on RetroShop and read some reviews and wasn't impressed. They are brighter than stock, but not brighter then just doing good quality LED bulbs in a stock housing. I didn't see the need to spend another $120 more and the added labor to go with Morimoto. I also have a chrome front end and don't like the black plastic look when the grill, bumper and headlights are all chrome.