Lamp Out - intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2003 Ram 1500.
About a month ago I started getting an intermittent Lamp Out Light (and associated chime). This happens super randomly and it’s usually when the lights are off. I have Op Checked all of the lights and they all work.
In Jan I installed headlights and wires the LED to “always-on” DRL, however they are not wired into a “lamp” fuse.
In Jan I replaced the tail light housing and added LED reverse lights.
Again, the Lamp Out usually happens in the daytime after driving for about 20 min with the lights OFF. And all lights work.
Help! I don’t even know where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandonmax25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi OHV
Have you tried stopping and getting out and checking lights after the "lamp out" light comes on? Could be your tailights intermittently?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my 03 my intermittent lamp out issue was caused by the tail light circuit board. Everything worked fine, but it would randomly chime a few times every time I drove it. Just a thought. I replaced both cause they were about $10 a piece. Never had an issue since.

Also agree with the hop out and take a look comment. Don’t forget to check the third brake light! Easy to miss.

OP
OP
C

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have you tried stopping and getting out and checking lights after the "lamp out" light comes on? Could be your tailights intermittently?

I haven’t. 99% of the time it happens while I’m on the freeway doing over 65 miles an hour. But I have operationally check the lights as soon as I’ve gotten home after the intermittent light

Brandonmax25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi OHV
I haven’t. 99% of the time it happens while I’m on the freeway doing over 65 miles an hour. But I have operationally check the lights as soon as I’ve gotten home after the intermittent light

Check the third brake light harness. May have a pinch in it.

OP
OP
C

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Check the third brake light harness. May have a pinch in it.

Will do. But would that make the lamp out light come on when I’m not using the brakes?

Brandonmax25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi OHV
Will do. But would that make the lamp out light come on when I’m not using the brakes?

Yes, same if you take out your brake light bulb without being on the brake the notification will still go.

OP
OP
C

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

So finally the light out is on permanently. It’s the left brake light. The bulb itself still works as a tail light and it flashes bright when the hazards are on. Could it still be just the bulb?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Probably the taillight circuit board. You can get it at a parts store.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Definitely the circuit board, but I will tell you it still happens even with a replacement. Put some dielectric grease in that socket and turn the bulb around.

OP
OP
C

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yep. Circuit board!
Almost lost my kind after replacing though. I accidentally put my LED reverse light in the top slot (turn signal).
My wife was behind the car, confirmed the brake light was working, so I put all the bulbs back in (incorrectly), buttoned it back up, turned on the car - LAMP OUT LIGHT still on. Checked the brakes, check the tail lights, checked the hazards, then turned on the blinker...hyper flash. Trouble shoot, yada yada, wrong bulb wrong slot. Alls good now. Thanks everyone!

Spoonsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where is this circuit board located on the truck?

Oh, how not intelligent of me.....Sorry.

Last edited:

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Where is this circuit board located on the truck?

Oh, how not intelligent of me.....Sorry.
It’s where the light brake/ tail light bulbs go into. Take out the tail light housing and it is held in with 4 or so screws.