Lane Assist - really weak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ucla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi all,

My new 2022 1500 Longhorn the Lane Assist feature, and I like it. I had it on my Grand Cherokee so I know how it's supposed to work. Mine is SO weak. It's not turned off; I have the strength set to high. It rarely pulls back into the lane if there is a yellow lane divider. IF it does, it's at the last second although if I have that setting on "early" or "medium, it makes no difference. The grand cherokee recognized everything and if I didn't have my blinker on, it really pulled hard back into the lane (which I liked!). I know the obvious reply is to take it in for dealer service; but has anyone else had this problem and what was the resolution? Thanks!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
In order for the feature to apply torque to the steering, it has to sense both right and left lane markers. If it only senses one side then only a display warning is issued, no steering wheel correction is applied. Could this be what you are experiencing? It is difficult to remotely help so don't take this question the wrong way. I'm thinking since it is mostly a software base system that uses a camera, why would yours not work the same as mine.

There are two settings for the LaneSense system, Warning and Strength, I have both settings set to medium and the system reacts as expected on my 2022 Longhorn. I've only had experience with one other vehicle with lane sense, it was a Lincoln Mark something, they both worked the same way.

OP
OP
U

ucla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Interesting. I drive the same roads I drove in my grand Cherokee and it pulled me back into the lane regardless of what dide (or both) it sensed I was drifting towards. I can also tell you this: If I am drifting out of the lane, I do get the lit-up visual indicator on the dash that it senses I’m drifting - but the system doesn’t pull back into my lane, most of the time. When it does, verrrrry weak.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been generally disappointed in the LKA. Expecially after I rented a cheapo Toyota Corolla and it's LKA feature was SOOO much better than my truck that cost 3X the Corolla.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I tried mine when I first got this truck, and noticed is was much less pronounced than I've experienced in other cars. I keep mine off because I don't like fighting the wheel if I need to quickly maneuver to avoid hitting something, and don't have time to use a turn signal. The first time I drove a rental car (Subaru Outback) with LKA it freaked me out a little because I didn't know the car had that feature. And when I was trying to miss some road-kill the car tried pushing me back towards it.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I keep mine off because I don't like fighting the wheel if I need to quickly maneuver to avoid hitting something, and don't have time to use a turn signal.

Likewise, I told the story on here before about the woman who tried to commit suicide in front of me a dark highway at 6:30 am one Sunday morning last fall...If I had LKA assist on I may not have missed her as I barely missed her as it was. Long story short for those who didn't read it, someone jumped out into the highway from being hidden in front of a vehicle pulled over onto the shoulder, I had gotten over to the passing lane when I saw a vehicle pulled over but at the last minute she came running into my lane and squared up to me while I was going 80. I barely missed her and she dove towards the truck when I swerved, really trying to get hit.

I hope people are only using this feature for the "just in case" moments if you happen to lose focus and drift out of lane, rather than using it regularly while driving to not pay as much attention.

Sorry I can't offer any input more than that, to be truthful I have zero experience with any lka as I've never tried it due to fearing the scenario that eventually ended up happening to us.

ramjam65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with Lane Keep Assist and it just allows too much drift. I keep it on to help keep me between the lines as a safety on the interstate, but that’s it. My wife has it in her 2023 Kia Sportage and it keeps it dead center on the interstate, when I have that and adaptive cruise control on with hers it basically drives itself. I’ve read in other posts differences between steering boxes and racks for steering, whatever, for what these trucks cost you’d think they’d be at least as good as a Kia. I get that technology has probably gotten better over the 3 years of difference between our vehicles but I have seen posts where 2023 Rams aren’t any better. Disappointed.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

My new 2022 1500 Longhorn the Lane Assist feature, and I like it. I had it on my Grand Cherokee so I know how it's supposed to work. Mine is SO weak. It's not turned off; I have the strength set to high. It rarely pulls back into the lane if there is a yellow lane divider. IF it does, it's at the last second although if I have that setting on "early" or "medium, it makes no difference. The grand cherokee recognized everything and if I didn't have my blinker on, it really pulled hard back into the lane (which I liked!). I know the obvious reply is to take it in for dealer service; but has anyone else had this problem and what was the resolution? Thanks!
I would bring it to the mother ship's attention about it because it is under warranty. The parts for it must be a fortune to buy if you had to.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
To each his/her own, I don't understand why anyone would give up control to a computer derived option that takes control of steering when your life is involved.

I, for one envision my future with older vehicles that have limited to no options such as described.

Having never wanted this, I certainly would never pay for the opportunity.

Not being critical just saying it's not for me. I hope this works out for you if you want it.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have it on both my pacifica van, and my 2500. They are very different in the way they act. Maybe the truck sits up higher and reacts slower? I rarely use that feature in either vehicle.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I rented a car in Phoenix last month that had lane assist, or whatever it's called. Every single time I passed a vehicle in the other lane, or another vehicle passed me in the next lane over, a dang yellow light on the inside of the door below the mirror would blink on. Distracting as hell, and I didn't know how to turn it off.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I rented a car in Phoenix last month that had lane assist, or whatever it's called. Every single time I passed a vehicle in the other lane, or another vehicle passed me in the next lane over, a dang yellow light on the inside of the door below the mirror would blink on. Distracting as hell, and I didn't know how to turn it off.
The feature you experienced was called blind spot alert. It doesn’t have anything to do with lane assist being discussed in this thread.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Likewise, I told the story on here before about the woman who tried to commit suicide in front of me a dark highway at 6:30 am one Sunday morning last fall...If I had LKA assist on I may not have missed her as I barely missed her as it was.
I very much doubt LKA would have made any difference in your case. In an emergency maneuver, you will power right through it without even noticing it. It is not that strong, as other posters have mentioned.

I kind of knew what to expect when I got my 22 with LKA. The wife has a 21 Pacifica with that feature and it's not much different. Maybe a little more insistent about it, but certainly not close to self driving. I like LKA for highway towing, but keep it off a lot for our local twisty Ozark Mt roads.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried mine when I first got this truck, and noticed is was much less pronounced than I've experienced in other cars. I keep mine off because I don't like fighting the wheel if I need to quickly maneuver to avoid hitting something, and don't have time to use a turn signal. The first time I drove a rental car (Subaru Outback) with LKA it freaked me out a little because I didn't know the car had that feature. And when I was trying to miss some road-kill the car tried pushing me back towards it.
..........and all the reason in the world to be VERY wary of AI.