Laramie Leather Scratch Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barry Boyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got this baby in February. 2011 with 74000 miles on it. It's in sweet condition except for some leather wear. I've tried all kinds of conditioner and have "Leather Milk" coming tomorrow. I'm just afraid it's past conditioner help.

Has anyone had any luck restoring leather like this? Seats have a few issues too.

console.JPG

OP
OP
Barry Boyer

Barry Boyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Except for covering the issue, I see 113 views and no solutions. I guess I'll have to live with it.
I'm still trying all the leather conditioners I can find to see if it will help improve or mask the problem.
So guys take care of your leather before it gets to this.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Except for covering the issue, I see 113 views and no solutions. I guess I'll have to live with it.
I'm still trying all the leather conditioners I can find to see if it will help improve or mask the problem.
So guys take care of your leather before it gets to this.
From the picture it looks like scratches. If so my recommendation is to use shoe polish to get the color back into the scuff marks. My take a few kinds to match the color test small areas using a q tip and let it dry completely to check the color

OP
OP
Barry Boyer

Barry Boyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hummm...since I could do just the console I might take a chance. I could even take console lid off and do in garage.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
At first I was skeptical on the video, but was also skeptical of shoe polish. I thought the shoe polish wound wear off onto clothing. The lacquer thinner/ paint approach would remove off excess color /paint would be a good thing, could even work with shoe polish too.I would finish off with a good conditioner afterwards. I'd try an experiment on the least visible spot you have real small.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Just got this baby in February. 2011 with 74000 miles on it. It's in sweet condition except for some leather wear. I've tried all kinds of conditioner and have "Leather Milk" coming tomorrow. I'm just afraid it's past conditioner help.

Has anyone had any luck restoring leather like this? Seats have a few issues too.

View attachment 168014

How did you make out did you try anything?

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
http://www.leatherique.com/ They are the best. Look over their website and go from there. If you send them a sample of the necessary color they will mix the dye and tell you how to use it.

This is the leather seat from my 83 Avanti before referbing it

P1010278.jpg

After reworking and dying. The colors are same in both pictures just different light.

P1010284.jpg

OP
OP
Barry Boyer

Barry Boyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well tried all the conditioners I could find but that didn't help. Was ready to try the Paint/Thinner idea when I stumbled across the Seat Doctors Dye website. I ordered a bottle with my VIN number and interior Color Code. It should be here Thursday. Hopefully, it will be a perfect match and I'll let you know what happens.

Oh, I also tried the Mr Clean Magic Erase idea on my shiny steering wheel and it did improve it but it should have been done years ago.

OP
OP
Barry Boyer

Barry Boyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I got the Dye from Seat Doctors and it's a perfect match. I'm ecstatic with the results. Take a look again at before and after.

I also used MANY leather conditioners and found the best as Meguires Gold Leather Conditioner.

console before.JPG Console After.JPG

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wow looks great. Did you dye the entire lid?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well done, looks brand new---
Jay

OP
OP
Barry Boyer

Barry Boyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I dyed the entire lid except for the Laramie badge. Because of the lighter colored thread that it was sewen with I didn't want to touch it.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
That looks great. What do you think caused that type of wear? Maybe a dog?
Congrats on finding a solution!

OP
OP
Barry Boyer

Barry Boyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, it looks like it might be dog scratches. Now that I have a Sheltie that likes to ride he is starting to prop up there from the back floor so I have to take a rag along so it doesn't happen again. I might have to get a cover like "tidefan1967" showed me in the second post, if I can find a brown one. ;)

Jesse1031

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Great looking results. I have the same truck with some slight scratches on the drives seat and lid. I may just give this a try.