Large Travel Trailer Blue Ox and 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bighog85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So after working through my issues with the brakes I left Alabama heading to Utah. I quickly realized that something wasn’t right, most likely with my WDH (Blue Ox SwayPro) as the trailer was moving me all over the place. I am an experienced truck driver and have been pulling heavy equipment my entire adult life. The TT is a Vengeance Rogue 32V, 40’ long and supposedly about 10,000 lbs dry with 1,600 lbs TW. I have the 2k spring bars on the WDH. I stopped and adjusted the hitch head down which allowed me to tighter the spring bars up more. I’m now on the 10th link which is tighter than the manufacturer recommends. It is better now but can still get VERY hairy in higher winds or when trucks pass. The trailer is pretty level but my truck is still squatted more than I’d like. Not nose high but only about 3/4” higher in the rear. I’m beginning to think that the Blue Ox fixed hitch head is a load of crap. If I could tilt it down more I could get more tension on the bars. Does anyone have any advice or is this big of a trailer just not going to be fun unless I have a DRW?

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I would look into a different hitch setup maybe?

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Roll the truck and trailer over a CAT scale then drop the trailer and weigh just the truck, this will give you all the numbers to calculate your tongue weight percentage and "see" how the weight is being transferred to the truck. Usually retuning back the front axle weight lost and the rear axle should weigh than the front.

That's a good sized trailer for being a tag along. Even though you have a WDH the hitch point is a pivot point behind the rear axles which is what your not accustomed to pulling.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does your WDH include an anti-sway device? Many do not.

OP
OP
B

bighog85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The Blue Ox is called the Sway Pro and I’ve heard good things about it. I did some reading last night and couldn’t find anything from people pulling this large if a trailer using it though. I read about the ProPride 3P which seems awesome but they only rate it up to 1,400 lbs TW. I just bought both the truck and trailer and really don’t want to have to switch one of them. I planned on hitting a scale once I could get all of my bikes in it to see what my real numbers will be but I guess I need to check it now too, even though it will change once fully loaded.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I had a Blue Ox Swaypro with my Coleman 2855; that was about 33' long. The sway control was okay but I felt like I had to really take up a lit of links to get good results in any form. I wouldn't say I ever had the hitch setup so I liked the way it managed sway with that trailer. Maybe it's because I have airbags - I first towed it with my 1500 and then my 2500 and it liked to dance a bit. I've heard that the Equalizer is a great wdh with sway control, but I also heard the Blue Ox was very good when I bought it with my first trailer. A 40' trailer is a lot to control in the wind, I wish you luck.
I moved to a 5w and it's a world of difference when towing.

OP
OP
B

bighog85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had a Blue Ox Swaypro with my Coleman 2855; that was about 33' long. The sway control was okay but I felt like I had to really take up a lit of links to get good results in any form. I wouldn't say I ever had the hitch setup so I liked the way it managed sway with that trailer. Maybe it's because I have airbags - I first towed it with my 1500 and then my 2500 and it liked to dance a bit. I've heard that the Equalizer is a great wdh with sway control, but I also heard the Blue Ox was very good when I bought it with my first trailer. A 40' trailer is a lot to control in the wind, I wish you luck.
I moved to a 5w and it's a world of difference when towing.

Ya I've got them on the 11th link and it feels pretty good. Except now it pops a lot, it's really loud so I don't know if I'm wearing something out or not. I just think it's stupid to not be able to adjust the hitch head angle at all. I found this thing used for a good price which is the only reason I bought it. I would have much rather done a 5th wheel for the towing characteristics but just couldn't justify paying twice the price.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have something heavy in the garage of the trailer?? this seems like a typical story for toyhaulers...tail wagging the dog, which wags the lead dog. If so, maybe try moving weight forward?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you have something heavy in the garage of the trailer?? this seems like a typical story for toyhaulers...tail wagging the dog, which wags the lead dog. If so, maybe try moving weight forward?
Yep, definitely sounds like weight distribution is off. Weigh the trailer at wheels and tongue empty, then make sure you balance it out with weight when loaded. You may not be able to carry all your toys if you can't get balance correct. Good luck