Larger tire with stock spare tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
I have a 2017 Rebel (5.7L 4wd) and I am going to replace the stock tires. I have almost 90K on the stock Toyo Open country and they still have tread, but they are looking a little dry. I am thinking of going with the 305/70R17 over the stock 285/70R17, but don't really want to replace the spare tire if not needed. My question though, is with the difference in tire size will it cause an issue if/when I need to use the spare? I do have limited slip in the rear. Would the difference in size (+20 revs per mile) be an issue? I really don't want to have to spend an extra $350 if not needed, but also don't want to trash the truck in the event of needing to use the spare.
Don't do it. If nothing else get a used tire to match the new ones

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I wish I hadn't spent the money on a 35" spare either...
Barely got it to fit up there and if I get a flat not sure I'll get it down...

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I hadn't spent the money on a 35" spare either...
Barely got it to fit up there and if I get a flat not sure I'll get it down...
it comes out way easier than it goes up. I run Toyo 35's on AEV wheels along with stock tires and wheels. I run a matching spare depending on which tires I run. For just running around and for longer road trips with offroading I run stock. When i have an offroad destination ie moab or just want a change in looks I put the bigger tires back on. Lucky for me I am headed to Moab in two weeks.