Largest full size inflated spare on stock wheel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a brand new (was a spare on a jeep that was totaled) Toyo Open Country AT 35x12.50r17 today for $60. What a deal. And, they even mounted the tire on my rim at no extra charge and lowered the pressure until it would fit in the stock spare location and crawled under there to get the tire aligned while I cranked it back up. About 10 psi for this tire listed at 34.4" to fit. It appears to be limited by the fore-aft direction, and it looks like I could easily grind off about 1/4" or more of the receiver, which would make it flush with the welds, so no strength lost. Anyone else ground down the receiver and found that it created more room for a 35" tire to run at a few more that 10 psi???

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
m25443, FYI, the tire that you see listed as 34.4", I also found listed at a just slightly larger at a 34.5" by another tire dealer. It's probably just a rounding difference by the other dealer. Another poster here stated that a similar BFG KO2 tire (34.4" spec) fits fully inflated, so that 0.1" could be enough difference in the full inflation of the Toyo. Instead of grinding off 0.250" (1/4"), starting off removing less with just 0.1" might do the trick. Can always remove more material later, but one can't replace too much material removed. I doubt that the receiver square tube's length which butts up against the spare tire has a tight tolerance to begin with during it's manufacturing. I haven't done it though due to running 34.06" tires, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Toyo/Open-Country-AT-II-35X12.50R17.htm

Not too much of a fan of these receiver's powder coated paint jobs due to they get subject to some major rusting much more than any other piece attached on my trucks. So the least material removed by grinding the front end of the receiver square tubing off, the better chance that rust won't work itself back into the welds, even after priming and repainting. The receivers probably rust more due to being in the very back and take the brunt of the winter road salt, rain, and impacts with off road use.

Last edited:

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow...I've been thinking of mounting a full-size tire on my Reb for awhile now, so this is timely! I'm still running my stock 33s, so I'm betting I can get one of those in my spare well easily enough if it's aired down.

TXCOMT

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow...I've been thinking of mounting a full-size tire on my Reb for awhile now, so this is timely! I'm still running my stock 33s, so I'm betting I can get one of those in my spare well easily enough if it's aired down.

TXCOMT

Rebels dont come with a full size spare? Power wagons do.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I have my fury 35x12.5-18 mounted on the stock spare 18” rim. It was a no go and I didnt wanna air it down. So I ripped all of the parts off and am having a mount built that inserts into my b&w turnover ball and I’ll just mount it in bed....only need it when I’m going out into desert anyways. Plus I get a workout every time I put it in and take it out. Plus I see more of my Thuren parts hahaha

8E51F93D-DDDD-4366-808E-E73E7A7DF78A.jpeg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sadly, no...one of my few complaints about it!

TXCOMT
Well wtf were they thinking there!? I find it odd they would bother doing it on the power wagon but not the rebel. Makes no sense.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have my fury 35x12.5-18 mounted on the stock spare 18” rim. It was a no go and I didnt wanna air it down. So I ripped all of the parts off and am having a mount built that inserts into my b&w turnover ball and I’ll just mount it in bed....only need it when I’m going out into desert anyways. Plus I get a workout every time I put it in and take it out. Plus I see more of my Thuren parts hahaha

View attachment 151917

What’s your e-brake cable bracket doing on the diff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
:boxed: Dunno. That’s where they put it lol. Guess I’ll go through the instructions and see what’s up haha

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
:boxed: Dunno. That’s where they put it lol. Guess I’ll go through the instructions and see what’s up haha

Who took your money to guess so poorly at where things go?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who took your money to guess so poorly at where things go?

Wtf?!

Yea thats definitely not the correct location. I believe that replaces the wire bracket holder by the drivers side wheelwell.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Wtf?!

Yea thats definitely not the correct location. I believe that replaces the wire bracket holder by the drivers side wheelwell.
I’ll get under her today lol. Maybe they’ve never seen such a pretty bracket and thought “now this has to be mounted so the world can see it” :anitoof: It is San Antonio and the labor force is a little lacking in the English reading and speaking department.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I’ll get under her today lol. Maybe they’ve never seen such a pretty bracket and thought “now this has to be mounted so the world can see it” :anitoof: It is San Antonio and the labor force is a little lacking in the English reading and speaking department.

The bracket they put on your diff goes on the driver side frame rail, replacing the OEM bent wire bracket.
There is a small bracket that goes on the passenger side lower control arm that you’d need for 2.5” King shocks. If you have Overlands or 2” Kings you don’t need that one.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The bracket they put on your diff goes on the driver side frame rail, replacing the OEM bent wire bracket.
There is a small bracket that goes on the passenger side lower control arm that you’d need for 2.5” King shocks. If you have Overlands or 2” Kings you don’t need that one.

Yeah I looked it all up today. It’s too cold to get under her. Instruction in English lmao

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine

Bracket is now where it belongs haha. I gotta say. It looked better on the diff and everybody could admire it lol. It had a perfect groove and cutout to fit on that diff. Almost like it was meant to be there.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bracket is now where it belongs haha. I gotta say. It looked better on the diff and everybody could admire it lol. It had a perfect groove and cutout to fit on that diff. Almost like it was meant to be there.

Yea, while it did physically fit there, weren't they at all wondering why to install it like then when it did absolutely nothing ? ! Lol

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Yea, while it did physically fit there, weren't they at all wondering why to install it like then when it did absolutely nothing ? ! Lol
Well..... what’s weird is there’s lines directly behind it. Maybe they “thought” it protected the lines or something haha. Everything is is good I went over it all. Still trying to get pressures right in these tires to smooth it out a bit more.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well..... what’s weird is there’s lines directly behind it. Maybe they “thought” it protected the lines or something haha. Everything is is good I went over it all. Still trying to get pressures right in these tires to smooth it out a bit more.

Id start around 45 back and 55 front and play with it from there.