Last Tranny Service Was Done By An Idiot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, after work today I started to change the filters in my transmission, I had been having issues with high rpm when it was cold and found that the level (after letting it set overnight) showed over hot mark on the dipstick. The ever so annoying back check leak by.

While I was removing the bolts, I had one twist off and thought that was way too easy. After examining the head and shaft, it looked like somebody had used RTV to glue the head to the pan. At this point I’m thinking the last idiot that serviced this tranny sure was a *******, but I can live with one bolt missing. After reaching bolt #6, another head pops off and now I am seriously wondering who the hell "glues" the bolt heads back on to the transmission pan after breaking a couple off?

I stopped everything and torqued the remaining 13 bolts down. Now I'm hunting for a decent deal on these M6x1x12 flanged hex head bolts, try to get the old bolts out, and borrow a tap from work to clean the threads up. So much for a simple tranny drain and filter replacement.

Message_1553302481924[1].jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Wow, it would appear that someone went great lengths to cover up their mistake. Probably a Jiffy Lube type job and the dingbat used an impact gun to install those. I feel for you man.

I always felt like I needed to do my own work on my vehicles because I want it done right. That and because I'm pretty much a cheapskate and hate paying someone to do what I can do. That being said....I had Jiffy lube (Salem, Or) do a Chevy I owned years ago and they stripped the drain plug so they JB-Welded it back in. I didn't figure it out until my next oil change (same place). They brought it to my attention and I brought to their attention that they were the last folks to touch it, but of course that was something they would never do and because it was over 6 months, who knows when or how that happened. I understand their stance because it had been a while (sorta), but I know exactly who did it and I will never give another dime to Jiffy....

I recommend to everyone now that anytime you have someone work on your vehicle, you examine closely what they did. Seems now a days, the mechanics are so rushed to get you in and back out that there are quite often missing screws, loose hose clamps, stripped/broken studs, greasy interiors etc. and if you don't find and report problems immediately, it aint their problem.

Needless to say, I am back to doing all my own work (that I have tools knowledge for). It's getting harder with all the sensors and specialized computers but I'll do what I can.