Late Model Ram 3500 6.4L Hemi Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCRDG

Reaction score
It's been well documented that the 6.4L Hemi engine can have lifter failures resulting in flat spots on the cam shaft in both 2500 and 3500 Ram pickup trucks, especially as the truck accumulates miles. Additionally, it's further well documented that both using a high-quality 0W40 oil and changing it regularly is essential in 6.4L pickup trucks.

For 6.4L a Hemi Ram truck that does not get driven on a frequent/regular basis, how often should the truck be driven or started to ensure the lifters are adequately lubricated? And, is there any 0W40 oil that is better at "clinging" to the metal surfaces of the lifters providing protection at startup (e.g. like Castrol advertised with Magnatec)?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to beat Pennzoil ultra platinum PuP oil. I would not start it just to start it. Idling has been known to be one of the issues. personally I do not worry one iota about my lifters in my 2020 6.4

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It’s been said that this is a metallurgical issue and no oil or filter will keep it from happening if it’s going to happen. If my truck sits for several days without being driven, I prime it by holding the fuel pedal down and hitting the starter. Let it turn over for 5-10 seconds then hit the button again. Release the fuel pedal and hit the start button again and it will fire up with normal oil pressure instantly. I got an extended warranty just for this issue and the electronics. If you are getting frequent dry starts, try changing the oil filter. The anti drain back valve in the filter can let the oil drain out of the filter back in to the oil pan and cause a rattle on start up but according to Ram and it’s in the owner’s manual, this is normal.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I was partial to Redline 5w40 in mine

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members