Launching / Recovering 18-20' CC w/ 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgtryanusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning, yall. I'm thinking about getting a 18-20' center console boat. I have concerns about traction and getting off the ramp with my 2014 1500 Crew Cab V8 2WD. Is / has anyone experienced difficulties like I mentioned? Thanks!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good tires at the proper psi, and good foot control on the gas pedal is all you need. Turn on hill assist in your settings menu.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
check out the launch where you would typically go and watch half a dozen retrieve their boats. Aside from a good entertaining hour in most cases it should give you confidence to proceed.

We've all been in launches where 4WD was ideal but seldom required. my LSD does come in hand but i'm seldom in 4wd on mine. A little bit of left foot braking and easy on the skinny pedal goes a long way.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Been towing a 18-21' bass boat for a long time in 4x2 trucks. Good tires and a light foot are all you need. We have some particularly steep ramps where I live. The key is getting the truck moving and keeping it moving when pulling up the ramp. Just don't mash on the gas and spin the tires. The only time I wish I had 4x4 is in the winter when the ramps get a little icy.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a 4wd, but I've never used 4wd to recover a boat. You'll be fine. Just make sure to use your PARKING BRAKE when launching!!!

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
Same here...never needed 4x4 to launch or retrieve any of my boats with any of my trucks over the years. Then again, I would not consider a truck without 4x4, even though my truck gets stored winters. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
If I need 4x4 I have a heavily modified Rubicon. Launching and loading a boat is not one of those needs.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On most ramps you should be fine, but I have been on really slippery ramps that were almost impossible to stand on - I would probably not try those haha.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If the ramp is slimy from algae, and steep thats a recipe for you getting stuck. I watched a guy the other day, try to recover his heavy fiberglass deck boat boat with a 2WD pickup, and he backed down just a little to far on the ramp where the green goo was. Plus this ramp was pretty steep too. He roasted his tires for 20 minutes and finally made it out, but just barely. Not saying it cant be done, but be choosy about your ramps.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, it all depends on the ramp. It's nice of all these folks who have never seen your ramp guarantee you'll be fine. Up here in slimy, slippery, mossy Oregon it's pretty common to see a 2WD get stuck on the ramp. Luckily, there's usually someone with a 4WD to unhook and drop his trailer and pull you out. Worst you'll face is 10 trucks deep in line glaring at you.

You'll likely be fine but it sure sucks to not be. This is the same question that regularly goes around RV boards. OP, you are obviously worried enough to ask the question so it just depends on your risk tolerance. I sold my boat years ago and only had it for a couple years so I really don't have that much experience but did use my 4WD a few times. Would I have been stuck w/o it? Not sure but I was really glad to have it. Pickups are just so light in the rear that, more than any other vehicle type, I couldn't imagine not having a 4X.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have a 2wd and open diff and have not had a problem with my 17 ft Proline CC.
The truck will pretty much walk the boat up the ramp without much go pedal.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
We used to launch an 18ft fiberglass open bow pleasure with a 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive manual transmission Ranger. We would actually gun the boat to help push the truck to get it moving!

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
All depends on your lake terrain, the ramp, water conditions. Here in the west most of our lakes are in hilly to downright steep terrain. 2WD on a steep ramp at low water conditions almost guarantees you'll have issues. At more than a few ramps launching/recovering a 21' 4500LB Wakeboat in those conditions required 4WD. Especially this one, 20' of exposed lakebed at the bottom.

ramp.jpg

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
Another thing to consider is to always have a tow strap in your bag of tricks. If you ever fall victim to the slime there will almost always be someone at the ramp willing to be a hero and pull you past the slime. Just don't let that hero drive a Ford.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Another thing to consider is to always have a tow strap in your bag of tricks. If you ever fall victim to the slime there will almost always be someone at the ramp willing to be a hero and pull you past the slime. Just don't let that hero drive a Ford.

When I posted I didn't even realize this was a 6 month old thread..... so I figure it's okay to wander a bit - here's a good tow strap story:

My buddies and I camp deep in the woods once a year for our, "get away from the wife and kids yearly trip." We're talking no cell phone service for 30-45 minutes, crazy pot hole road, out in the middle of nowhere. A couple years ago I'm sitting at at the campfire around dusk and these nice, but kind of punk-ass kids stroll by and ask if we have "a rope". They tell us their buddy tried to drive his low-rider Subaru (yes, with a fart-can rattling muffler) to the campground and ripped a huge hole in the bottom of the oil pan.

Well, I informed them it was their lucky day and they could buy my tow strap for the $20 I paid for it. This kid has the nerve to try and negotiate with me and offers me $10!!! I said, how about $500? What the hell else are you going to do? Push it? Watch out for the potholes.... lol. Kids these days.