Leaking oil drain plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drwet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2013 Ram Outdoorsman. Bought it about a year ago with about 80,000 miles. First oil change I find the drain plug torqued to about 9 million foot pounds. As I'm loosening it I can actually see the oil pan distorting. Now the drain plug leaks - not real bad, but enough to put a stain on the driveway. My concern is the pan is distorted enough to keep the plug gasket from sealing. I would simply pull the plug out and figure out how to make it seal if it weren't for the little problem of all the oil falling out while I'm working on it. I 'm leaning toward buying a new drain plug and gasket, wrapping the threads in teflon sealant and swapping the plugs quick before all the oil lands in the pan, but before I do that, any suggestions? Is this a common problem? Is the pan goobered and do I need to plan on replacing it in the foreseeable future? Are there better gaskets than the factory units?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my nearly 30 years of being a mechanic it seems common with mopar vehicles. The plug gets over tightened and the flimsy oil pan distorts when trying to remove the plug. What I've done several times is, after I re-torque the drain plug I GENTLY tap it with a hammer to "square" it off so the drain plug seal/washer sits evenly and flush against the oil pan all around the plug. What you need to do is make sure the oil pan isnt cracked around the thread hole from the pan flexing

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I d go get and try a new plug and get a oil plug washer for it ! lucky me a new plug fixed it !

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You install it once and never have to remove it again , thus not fing the threads further .

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nobody knows how to tighten a simple bolt to 20lb . im not suprised

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I don’t think it has anything to with the make of the vehicle. I’ve been working on mopar vehicles for 15ish years now and a leaking drain plug is pretty rare in my experience. Most likely comes down to installation error.

OP
OP
D

drwet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t think it has anything to with the make of the vehicle. I’ve been working on mopar vehicles for 15ish years now and a leaking drain plug is pretty rare in my experience. Most likely comes down to installation error.
No question the drain plug was over-tightened but the fact that the pan on this vehicle is made out of tinfoil had a lot to do with it.