Leaking oil from oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If the mounting adapter were too short, that would be a recall issue. A loosened adapter would simply screw back in, once the filter bottomed on it.

So you're telling these guys they don't need to check the adapter,i think your nuts,lol.If it was me and i'd had this issue more then once,i'd start looking at everything with a fine tooth comb,and that would include the filter adapter itself,but that's only my opinion.You're expecting a lot for everything to be under a recall notice.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Interesting that these Mopar filters are having issues, my suspicion is that there Poor quality (LOL) and obviously undersized. My 6.4 will start to knock on the driver side 1:40 seconds After cold starts in the morning. This will slowly fade away as the oil temperature increases. That tells me the engine is starved of oil.
Anyone running the bigger oil filters with success on the 6.4?

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
So you're telling these guys they don't need to check the adapter,i think your nuts,lol.If it was me and i'd had this issue more then once,i'd start looking at everything with a fine tooth comb,and that would include the filter adapter itself,but that's only my opinion.You're expecting a lot for everything to be under a recall notice.

What I'm really saying is that it's silly to think that the wrong part was installed in the first place. I worked on vehicles for quite a long time and I never came across a loose adapter. That is not to say that there might not be one out there, but to think that it's widespread is bizarre. Would I check it if I were dealing with the vehicle in question? Sure. That would be considered normal procedure if there were an existing and unidentified problem. Would I check the tightness of the adapter as a normal procedure? No, not in the real world. That is very close to warranting medication.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have to think it has to do with the expansion and contraction of the rubber gasket heating to engine oil temp when running and back to normal when cool slowly working the gasket loose if it's not tight enough.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I have to think it has to do with the expansion and contraction of the rubber gasket heating to engine oil temp when running and back to normal when cool slowly working the gasket loose if it's not tight enough.

If it's not precisely that (the gasket), it's almost certainly a combination including the threaded base plate. The filter has to be tightened just enough to take that expansion/contraction out of play. Huntergreen said:

<> When I change my oil, I hand tighten like we normally do, then give it a quarter turn with the filter wrench. So far I have never had a filter leak.

This is the professional solution without going over the top. It's what I was doing back in the '70s. Wipe the boss clean, put some oil on the gasket and run your finger on it two or three revolutions. Install the filter. My recollection is that the filter will go about a half turn after contact and then snug up pretty well for "hand tight." A quarter turn with the wrench and the filter will not leak or move, ever.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My subaru filters have the instructions on it, contact then 7/8 of a turn. I do this on all now no issues. But all my life ive done the tight as you can by hand, but i'm getting older, tight isn't tight as it used to be. (no jokes);)

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
What happened to the filter getting tighter as you drive? Anyone remember those days or is it just me? I remember doing filters on my old vehicles that went on hand tight with a little oil on the seal, but would only come off with a frigin screwdriver through it lol, but seriously why are these filters backing off nowadays.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What happened to the filter getting tighter as you drive? Anyone remember those days or is it just me? I remember doing filters on my old vehicles that went on hand tight with a little oil on the seal, but would only come off with a frigin screwdriver through it lol, but seriously why are these filters backing off nowadays.

Your right i did have to do that every now ad then, glad those days are gone what a mess.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What I'm really saying is that it's silly to think that the wrong part was installed in the first place. I worked on vehicles for quite a long time and I never came across a loose adapter. That is not to say that there might not be one out there, but to think that it's widespread is bizarre. Would I check it if I were dealing with the vehicle in question? Sure. That would be considered normal procedure if there were an existing and unidentified problem. Would I check the tightness of the adapter as a normal procedure? No, not in the real world. That is very close to warranting medication.

There's thousands of trucks out there that don't leak using the exact same filters and filter change techiniques .And there's what maybe a 1/2 dozen to a dozen guys here ******** about the filter leaking after a few 1,000 miles,and it doing it more then once. I'd start looking for the issue on why these guys are having the same issue over and over again,the first thing i'd look at it,would be the filter base and adapter.I'd pull the adapter take it to a dealer and compare it to a new one for length etc.. There's some reason these same trucks are leaking over and over again,i'd highly doubt it's because they're always unlucky buying filters and getting bad ones everytime,so the issue would lie somewhere else ,and about the only other "else" is the adapter itself.I remember reading somewhere awhile ago that there were issues with leaking filters and I think it was discovered there was a few short filter adapters kicking around,and a couple of guys had ,had the adapter changed out,so that's where i'd start,is by removing the adapter and comparing it to either a known good one,or a new one at the dealer.

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a leaky oil filter adapter gasket on my g6.... Could it be similar?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk