Leaking Power Steering Pump?? 2007

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Gardner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All,

New member here looking for some help with my 2007 ram 1500/5.7. I have been noticing some spots on my driveway the past few weeks and finally got back in town from work and climbed underneath and noticed I am leaking some fluid from the power steering pulley/pump? Has anyone had this same issue? Is it just a pump replacement or is there something else happening here?

Also, I am color blind so I do not know the color of the fluid!

Thanks in advance!

truck.jpg

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check both lines . Sometimes the return line likes to have a second hose clamp added,or just make sure everything is snug.

OP
OP
M

Matthew Gardner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you Daw! I will check into that tomorrow and report back.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi All,

New member here looking for some help with my 2007 ram 1500/5.7. I have been noticing some spots on my driveway the past few weeks and finally got back in town from work and climbed underneath and noticed I am leaking some fluid from the power steering pulley/pump? Has anyone had this same issue? Is it just a pump replacement or is there something else happening here?

Also, I am color blind so I do not know the color of the fluid!

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 226422
Based on the pic you posted the fluid appears to be coming from the shaft seal on the power steering pump, not from the return line.

These power steering pumps are easy to replace. There are two routes you can take. One is a complete pump/reservoir assembly and the other is just the pump without the reservoir. As long as there is not anything wrong with your current reservoir ninwould just replace the pump itself. Most new pumps I get have new reservoir o-rings in the box.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
could be coolant from t- stat housing (directly above p/s pump)?

OP
OP
M

Matthew Gardner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is what I was wondering as well. I am color blind so I couldn't tell if it is power steering or coolant. I will get underneath again today however and see if I can pin point exactly where it is coming from. thank you everyone!

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The nose knows! ATF and antifreeze is easy to smell to tell the difference.

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What color is the spots? ATF is red, if its clear, its more then likely coolant. Or touch the spot with the tip of your finger. Taste it. If it's bitter as F#$$ it's coolant. Id use your nose before your tongue haha but if you really wanna know, taste it.

2002ramdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
coolant def tastes different. i would just do a quick taste test.