Leave running and lock doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I know the truck will run when you remote start with the doors locked... but is there a way to exit the truck while leaving it running and lock the doors?

The fob appears to be locked in the ignition switch and the little emergency key only locks the driver side door so I can't see a way to lock all of the doors after exiting the running truck.

Is there a trick on missing? Or is it simply not possible on these rigs?

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I think if you lock the doors with the fob, walkaway and leave the fob inside the house you'll find it's locked. If you have the fob with you, it will just keep opening.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do this with mine but I have the keyless entry & go.

I seem to remember being able to remove the key on my 2010 but I could be imagining that.

You can try changing your door lock settings to not unlock all doors when you open the drivers door and use the emergency key to just lock the driver door.

OP
OP
B

Brewer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
oh hey... would it be possible to get a fob for the doors only that i could just keep 8n the center console? that should work right?

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just start the truck, get out, hit the lock button and close the door. I also had a key made to keep on my ring just to unlock the door so I wouldn't have to always remove the emergency key.

OP
OP
B

Brewer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just start the truck, get out, hit the lock button and close the door. I also had a key made to keep on my ring just to unlock the door so I wouldn't have to always remove the emergency key.

mine wont let me do that. it won't lock the doors (using the door controls) whennthe fob is in the switch. is that a setting i cam change maybe?

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine wont let me do that. it won't lock the doors (using the door controls) whennthe fob is in the switch. is that a setting i cam change maybe?
No setting that I know of. I just did it when I let my truck warm up when I left work on cold mornings. Did it on both my old '14 and my '19.

OP
OP
B

Brewer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
No setting that I know of. I just did it when I let my truck warm up when I left work on cold mornings. Did it on both my old '14 and my '19.

hmmm.... ill have to mess around with it. i have an 18 and when i tried to lock today while running it just automatically unlocked.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have the key fob that goes stays in the ignition. If you try to use the power locks with the fob in the dash and the door open, the truck will unlock itself.
To be able to lock all the doors with the truck running, power lock the doors before you open the driver's door. You can then pull the handle to exit. Push the lock stem down by hand and make sure you have the key out of the fob or you'll be locked out when you close the door.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hey, crash68,
Where were you 3 days ago when I officially locked my ******** out of my own truck, LOL?
Yep, 1st time with this truck. And I had just mentioned to my wife how the truck wouldn't lock with the key in the ignition. Well, it wasn't in the ignition, I shut it off and took it out, they layed it down for some reason.
Luckily, I was in front of a Harbor Freight so I got to wonder around and look at all the crap we buy from China. Bought a $3 bag of zip ties and got the free 4" magnetic bowl.
AAA was there in 15 minutes. Dude was in my truck in 10 seconds flat.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the key fob that goes stays in the ignition. If you try to use the power locks with the fob in the dash and the door open, the truck will unlock itself.
To be able to lock all the doors with the truck running, power lock the doors before you open the driver's door. You can then pull the handle to exit. Push the lock stem down by hand and make sure you have the key out of the fob or you'll be locked out when you close the door.
My brain shut off. Now that I think about it that's what I did, actually push the stem down. My memory isn't what it used to be. Thanks for clearing that up.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I did the same thing as Loudram has done. I started carrying a second door/ignition key since they went to one key for everything. I started carrying two separate key chains after I accidentally locked myself out of my 89 Dakota the first week I got it in 94.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
What about using your second fob ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't want to carry one fob, let alone two. I'd be setting off that damn panic alarm all the time.
Send me back to the days of a skinny little metal key. You know, the days when your engine only needed one vacuum line that went from the carburetor to the distributor.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't want to carry one fob, let alone two. I'd be setting off that damn panic alarm all the time.
Send me back to the days of a skinny little metal key. You know, the days when your engine only needed one vacuum line that went from the carburetor to the distributor.
What's a carburator? :D

MJCs18Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Like already said, my '18 has an in-the-dash fob, so I had a brass copy of my door key made and it is twistie-******* under the front bumper somewhere. Then, whenever I forget to take out my fob key and lock it while running I won't have to call AAA.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Like already said, my '18 has an in-the-dash fob, so I had a brass copy of my door key made and it is twistie-******* under the front bumper somewhere. Then, whenever I forget to take out my fob key and lock it while running I won't have to call AAA.
I've used magnetic key holders, wire, spare key in my wallet (prehistoric times) but this big fob is new. Guess I could do what you did and just wire the metal insert key up somewhere.
I do get a certain amount of satisfaction by using AAA. Makes me feel like my $120./year wasn't for nothing. I had so much fun waiting for them in Harbor Freight, I may do it again next week in the HomoDepo parking lot.;-)

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just an fyi, the new aftermarket remote starts are mostly plug and play by installing a "Y" harness at your OBDII connector. In addition, you do not have to carry 2 remotes to use it either as most can be programmed to accept hitting your lock button or another button 3 times to remote start......

I was lucky I got the upgraded 1990s cab in my 2019 Ram 1500 classic 5.7L Hemi, as in it had electric windows and locks but still used a key and did not come with any sort of remote for the doors to lock and unlock, it had only the radio and heavy duty vinyl seats with the cool "hidden" 3rd seat front seat console.......YES I had to insert the key to unlock it.

But then again I got to get a great aftermarket remote system with remote start and stop that works over a 1/4 mile away and with 3 big metal buildings in the way......... I Love it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963