Leaving Tail Gate Partially Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 5’ 7” bed and there are times I would like to leave the tail gate partially open to haul long stuff like ladders, lumber etc.. In my old GMC I was able to route the cable around the pins in the back and leave it half way open. This doesn’t work on the Ram. I came across this but it seems expensive for something I won’t use that often. Anyone else come up with anything besides an 8’ bed?

https://www.etrailer.com/Tailgate/G...20PMzcYTknQzQ9cZ2WB6OnKDbx2caQLgaArewEALw_wcB

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I haven't ever wanted or needed to do that. But if I did I'd probably look into making my own shorter cables. Or maybe just go with a chain and secure it with bolts with the same thread size as the cable mount bolts.

SPyKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think I've see the cable replacement device you have, just under $300. Rather than that, I'll likely go WITH one of the AMP Bedxtenders or something similar to get pretty close to that 8'.