LED 3rd brake light resistor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my (2) 6 ohm 50 watt resistors today. The plug has 4 wires. I got these because my white led cargo lights in the 3rd brake light stay dimly lit. I connected my LED 3rd brake light to my factory plug. One by one cut the wires to see which one was what. I found when i cut red wire, brake light went off. But i had to cut yellow and white wires to turn off white led cargo lights. So i installed a 6 ohm 50 watt resister on the yellow and white wires. Low and behold, when i shut the truck off, white LED lights are still dimly lit. Someone please help.
Black-Im assuming is ground
Yellow
White
Red-Brake light

Last edited:

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just grab canbus led bulbs and call it a day. They have resistors built in, problem solved.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Which LED 3rd brake light are you using?

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which LED 3rd brake light are you using?

Viogi VX it says is the brand.
I bought the resistors from VIPMoto and they said to connect one resister between the black ground and power wire. Does this sound right?
I tried installing a resistor inline on the yellow wire, and one on the white wire. Didnt work. light continued to stay on.

IMG_2022.PNG

IMG_2021.JPG

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE- Connected one side of resistor to positive wire, and other side of resistor to negative wire. Light stays off now and eorks the way it should. But the resistor gets so hot if you touch it, it will burn your finger. Is that normal for the resistor to get that hot???

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does that use those chinese CREE LED's?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
UPDATE- Connected one side of resistor to positive wire, and other side of resistor to negative wire. Light stays off now and eorks the way it should. But the resistor gets so hot if you touch it, it will burn your finger. Is that normal for the resistor to get that hot???

With resistance comes heat, I would recommend using a heavy duty high heat epoxy to mount it by the 3rd brake light as if it dangles it will burn through the headliner.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With resistance comes heat, I would recommend using a heavy duty high heat epoxy to mount it by the 3rd brake light as if it dangles it will burn through the headliner.

I ended up mounting it to the sheetmetal so its away from all of the wires and plastic housing. Still cant beleieve how hot it gets.