LED Bed Light Strips - Anyone Try this on 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoJoBo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is on a 4th Gen I think, but wondering if the same thing can be done on the 5th Gen? He basically just tapped into his Cab/Cargo light wiring so they all turn on using the Cab/Cargo light switch...

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't done it to my truck yet....even though I have all the parts. It hasn't hit the priority list but I did it to my boat. Simple stuff, stick on LED strips, a couple of wires for power and your're good to go. There is a post here I believe where someone diagrams the exact wire to tie into on the 5th gen. under the driver's side sill. If not here, the other ram forum called 5th gen.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mind if I ask why not just tap off the trailer harness for constant power and put in a switch to use them whenever you like?

The thing I hate most about my stock bed lights (2017, granted) is that I cant use them whenever I want.....have to unlock the truck to kick them on, or use the light button inside the truck.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It can be done absolutely. Just depends on how you want to wire it so they come on automatically or via a switch, stock or aftermarket switch, whichever you prefer.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I figure I would need some sort of timer setup so they dont stay on forever if I forget to switch them off. Or use a switch based on tailgate position (which is fine until I need the lights on with the tailgate closed)

I wonder if the trailer harness power is "smart" like the rest of the lighting (i.e. shuts off after X minutes after the truck is shut down)

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I figure I would need some sort of timer setup so they dont stay on forever if I forget to switch them off. Or use a switch based on tailgate position (which is fine until I need the lights on with the tailgate closed)

I wonder if the trailer harness power is "smart" like the rest of the lighting (i.e. shuts off after X minutes after the truck is shut down)
Dont know about the trailer lighting, but I'd just grab power from your cargo lights. The power wire SHOULD be running in the channel next to the driver seat. That way, you can either turn them on from the inside switch, your key fob or when you open your door. And they'll turn off by themselves after you get done.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats just it....I dont want to have to use the fob or the switch. Half the time I want my lights on, Im holding something in my hand and trying to open the tailgate at the same time (i.e. truck was already unlocked). Fob and switch not convenient at that point.

Maybe its just me :)

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thats just it....I dont want to have to use the fob or the switch. Half the time I want my lights on, Im holding something in my hand and trying to open the tailgate at the same time (i.e. truck was already unlocked). Fob and switch not convenient at that point.

Maybe its just me :)

It's just you. ;)

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
I have the factory led light kit that comes on where the door is opened and has a button on off on one light to control manually. You should be able to buy that pretty cheap then tie led into it easily for more lighting. I might do that.

OP
OP
CoJoBo

CoJoBo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I want to keep it as clean as possible, that's why I want to tap into the factory switch. No sure if the 5th gens will cause any power issues. I may try it very soon. Ill post an update when complete.

Thanks for the feedback

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:
OP
OP
CoJoBo

CoJoBo