LED Bulb Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OPT7 vs Hikari Ultra vs Hikari (Cheapest)

I changed these OPT7s out for Hikari Ultras because one of the LEDs burned out on the OPT7s. I also tried out the cheaper Hikari LEDs in a quad headlight just to see the difference in brightness. Here are the Bulbs used...

Original OPT7 (I paid $99.99 a few years ago).

OPT7 Fluxbeam H11 LED Headlight Bulbs w/Arc-Beam - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE Kit - 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VNBDWPK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0vFaCb0HC58GN

Hikari Ultra

HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H11 (H8,H9),Philips Lumileds 12000lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DvFaCbK88NSJ0

Hikari (cheaper)

HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H11(H8,H9), 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKPR452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uZEaCbZPF12AM

Pictures...

OPT7 (left) Hikari Ultra (right)

87c853914ac481bc77aad79eba7b160b.jpg

The Ultra has much less scatter and allows you to adjust the bulb alignment after it is seated and sealed in the housing. I would say it's about the same brightness but far less scattering of light.

Hikari cheaper (left) Hikari Ultra (right)

1528d36f6d69d61a2515a3d3b2c77a7d.jpg

Only slightly dimmer using the Mark I Eyeball (I had to stare for a while to see the difference in output). Honestly if I wasn't planning on using the cheaper ones on my wife's fog lights I would have kept that in my truck for the cost to brightness ratio. The Hikari bulb's alignment adjustment really focuses the light in our quad reflectors as well.

Overall, the newer LED arrangements that more closely mimic the halogen filaments are a big improvement. I adjusted the headlights WAY back up after removing the OPT7 bulbs and haven't been flashed yet. I'll do a proper aiming using Headlight Revolution's How-To video tomorrow.

Edit: A very important piece I neglected to mention. The Hikari Ultras have an in-line driver and require an additional CANBUS adapter to turn on. If you don't order the adapter you can contact Hikari after ordering the headlights and they will send you a coupon (on Amazon) for 99% off making these $19.99 adapters essentially free (I paid $0.20 for the pair after the coupon).

Here are the adapters...
HIKARI Pair LED Conversion Kit Headlight Canbus Error Free Anti Flickering Resistor Decoder - H11 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CJZ9F2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_Zjgcye4osIG54

The cheaper Hikari lights (that are almost as good as the Ultras in my opinion) have no in-line driver and do not require the CANBUS adapter to work. In fact, they wouldn't even turn on when the CANBUS adapter was attached.

Finally, the Hikari Ultras removed the headlight out message I had with the OPT7 lights. I don't know if the same could be said with the cheaper Hikari bulb as I never had both of those installed.

Edit 2 (fog lights):

Ok, I got the 9006 bulbs on sale for $25 and I'm pretty happy. Note that I have yellow Lamin-X on the fogs, hence the color...

Unclocked...

11a41446636296da2c46ef178dc6ef5e.jpg

Clocked (housing needs some aiming)...

bb672f088523019a831ab0de110802db.jpg

Off...

b195565c3444ef7a009af2eaa1966187.jpg

On...

f28f661732629147cc12ac327ed530d8.jpg

Note: If they don't light up flip the factory plug around and try again.

Last edited:

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
OPT7 vs Hikari Ultra vs Hikari (Cheapest)

I changed these OPT7s out for Hikari Ultras because one of the LEDs burned out on the OPT7s. I also tried out the cheaper Hikari LEDs in a quad headlight just to see the difference in brightness. Here are the Bulbs used...

Original OPT7 (I paid $99.99 a few years ago).

OPT7 Fluxbeam H11 LED Headlight Bulbs w/Arc-Beam - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE Kit - 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VNBDWPK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0vFaCb0HC58GN

Hikari Ultra

HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H11 (H8,H9),Philips Lumileds 12000lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DvFaCbK88NSJ0

Hikari (cheaper)

HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H11(H8,H9), 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKPR452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uZEaCbZPF12AM

Pictures...

OPT7 (left) Hikari Ultra (right)

87c853914ac481bc77aad79eba7b160b.jpg

The Ultra has much less scatter and allows you to adjust the bulb alignment after it is seated and sealed. I would say it's about the same brightness but far less scattering of light.

Hikari cheaper (left) Hikari Ultra (right)

1528d36f6d69d61a2515a3d3b2c77a7d.jpg

Only slightly dimmer using the Mark I Eyeball (I had to stare for a while to see the difference in output). Honestly if I wasn't planning on using the cheaper ones on my wife's fog lights I would have kept that in my truck for the cost to brightness ratio. The Hikari bulb's alignment adjustment really focuses the light in our quad reflectors as well.

Overall, the newer LED arrangements that more closely mimic the halogen filaments are a big improvement. I adjusted the headlights WAY back up after removing the OPT7 bulbs and haven't been flashed yet. I'll do a proper aiming using Headlight Revolution's How-To video tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Good info... mind posting a link to that video?

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too had issues with the Opt7 with the diffusion, that and the fans and what not killed reception in my radio. I went back to OEM and then swapped to HR V2s no issues with either and far brighter and better pattern.

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Any need for canbus adapters? I have the opt-7 and I am disappointed honestly .probably going to return them .

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any need for canbus adapters? I have the opt-7 and I am disappointed honestly .probably going to return them .

I believe they came with them but I pulled them because of the issues regardless.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for asking, I edited my original post answering your question. See "Edit"...

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Headlight Revolution did like a 35 minute video of LED low beam bulbs in various reflector housings (including the quad headlamps for the Rams). It was very informative:

I will caveat that it is a year old and some models have been updated/improved. But it’ll give you an idea as who the top players are. Diode Dynamics SL, Morimoto 2 stroke and Headlight Revolution brand were the best in the testing if I remember.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Headlight Revolution did like a 35 minute video of LED low beam bulbs in various reflector housings (including the quad headlamps for the Rams). It was very informative:

I will caveat that it is a year old and some models have been updated/improved. But it’ll give you an idea as who the top players are. Diode Dynamics SL, Morimoto 2 stroke and Headlight Revolution brand were the best in the testing if I remember.
Yep, great reviews in their channel. They are just not the right price for me...

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
So if I bought the cheaper hikari high and lows I should not need an adapter?

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So if I bought the cheaper hikari high and lows I should not need an adapter?
Correct on lows, I don't know for highs and it's best to NOT order the adapters until you know you need them. Hikari essentially gives them to you free when you message them and let them know their lights flicker and/or won't turn on.

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I bought both high and low of the hikari. Neither required the adapter so far, and the line of the cut off is identical to the halogens .

However, the spread left and right isn't as good as I had hoped . Any fix to that?

The lights fit perfectly into the lows, bit the high beam dust covers don't go back on. Are there aftermarket ones that fir the Dodge ram? Part of the cap lip is blocked on the high beams.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice right up. Huge + on the Hikari with the ability to adjust the bulb alignment after it is seated in the housing. Of the few LEDs I have run, none had that option. Hikari will definitely be my next purchase for that reason alone.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im kind of curious how the Hikari (cheaper) work without inline drivers?

CAN bus adapters not being necessary I can understand.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought both high and low of the hikari. Neither required the adapter so far, and the line of the cut off is identical to the halogens .

However, the spread left and right isn't as good as I had hoped . Any fix to that?

I have tried a couple different brands that look pretty much identical to the Hikari design and ran into the same thing. Nice brightness, great cut off line but the spill off to the sides is jut blinding oncoming drivers.
The side spill extends much further then my stock bulbs in my quads when I have them both adjusted at the same vertical cut off height.

At this point I think I am going to give up on LED bulbs, the housing just isn't designed around them

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Im kind of curious how the Hikari (cheaper) work without inline drivers?

CAN bus adapters not being necessary I can understand.
My guess is the driver is integrated into the base of the unit as opposed to in the wire from the bulb to the plug for your factory connection.

In other words, I think it's there just not in the wire like you often see.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

The lights fit perfectly into the lows, bit the high beam dust covers don't go back on. Are there aftermarket ones that fir the Dodge ram? Part of the cap lip is blocked on the high beams.
Have you attempted to clock them once the are in place? Once they are seated the whole bulb can spin nearly 180 degrees to align them properly within the reflectors.

As far as dust covers are concerned, this is an issue with many aftermarket bulbs. Some have made the dust cover mount "deeper" by adding a PVC collar to the headlight to add the necessary room.

I just use Philips Crystal Vision Ultras in the highs and use my light bar if I need extra lighting.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you attempted to clock them once the are in place? Once they are seated the whole bulb can spin nearly 180 degrees to align them properly within the reflectors.

I've tried this with other brands (that look identical in design) and even with the best alignment I can get the side spill is too much for my liking. I could get the side spill better but then the cutoof is screwed up. I'm sure many would be ok with it but I wasn't. While I didn't get flashed a whole lot I think people are getting blinded so much any more they just give up on flashing people. I know I have.

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

As far as dust covers are concerned, this is an issue with many aftermarket bulbs. Some have made the dust cover mount "deeper" by adding a PVC collar to the headlight to add the necessary room.

I just use Philips Crystal Vision Ultras in the highs and use my light bar if I need extra lighting.

I did rotate them, and they are as aligned as my low beam halogens were. They are just more centered than I had originally thought, may have to add some led fog lights into the mix to help fill in the gaps up close.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The vertical fogs on our trucks fill in the sides better than any OEM reflector I've seen.

That's actually my next purchase because shortly after replacing the lows my passenger fog light went out (which is presently a Morimoto 9006 XB LED bulb)

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963