LED Bulb Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enginercool45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OPT7 vs Hikari Ultra vs Hikari (Cheapest)

I changed these OPT7s out for Hikari Ultras because one of the LEDs burned out on the OPT7s. I also tried out the cheaper Hikari LEDs in a quad headlight just to see the difference in brightness. Here are the Bulbs used...

Original OPT7 (I paid $99.99 a few years ago).

OPT7 Fluxbeam H11 LED Headlight Bulbs w/Arc-Beam - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE Kit - 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VNBDWPK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0vFaCb0HC58GN

Hikari Ultra

HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H11 (H8,H9),Philips Lumileds 12000lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DvFaCbK88NSJ0

Hikari (cheaper)

HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H11(H8,H9), 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKPR452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uZEaCbZPF12AM

Pictures...

OPT7 (left) Hikari Ultra (right)

87c853914ac481bc77aad79eba7b160b.jpg

The Ultra has much less scatter and allows you to adjust the bulb alignment after it is seated and sealed in the housing. I would say it's about the same brightness but far less scattering of light.

Hikari cheaper (left) Hikari Ultra (right)

1528d36f6d69d61a2515a3d3b2c77a7d.jpg

Only slightly dimmer using the Mark I Eyeball (I had to stare for a while to see the difference in output). Honestly if I wasn't planning on using the cheaper ones on my wife's fog lights I would have kept that in my truck for the cost to brightness ratio. The Hikari bulb's alignment adjustment really focuses the light in our quad reflectors as well.

Overall, the newer LED arrangements that more closely mimic the halogen filaments are a big improvement. I adjusted the headlights WAY back up after removing the OPT7 bulbs and haven't been flashed yet. I'll do a proper aiming using Headlight Revolution's How-To video tomorrow.

Edit: A very important piece I neglected to mention. The Hikari Ultras have an in-line driver and require an additional CANBUS adapter to turn on. If you don't order the adapter you can contact Hikari after ordering the headlights and they will send you a coupon (on Amazon) for 99% off making these $19.99 adapters essentially free (I paid $0.20 for the pair after the coupon).

Here are the adapters...
HIKARI Pair LED Conversion Kit Headlight Canbus Error Free Anti Flickering Resistor Decoder - H11 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CJZ9F2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_Zjgcye4osIG54

The cheaper Hikari lights (that are almost as good as the Ultras in my opinion) have no in-line driver and do not require the CANBUS adapter to work. In fact, they wouldn't even turn on when the CANBUS adapter was attached.

Finally, the Hikari Ultras removed the headlight out message I had with the OPT7 lights. I don't know if the same could be said with the cheaper Hikari bulb as I never had both of those installed.

Edit 2 (fog lights):

Ok, I got the 9006 bulbs on sale for $25 and I'm pretty happy. Note that I have yellow Lamin-X on the fogs, hence the color...

Unclocked...

11a41446636296da2c46ef178dc6ef5e.jpg

Clocked (housing needs some aiming)...

bb672f088523019a831ab0de110802db.jpg

Off...

b195565c3444ef7a009af2eaa1966187.jpg

On...

f28f661732629147cc12ac327ed530d8.jpg

Note: If they don't light up flip the factory plug around and try again.
*****’s like to see a comparison with Vanquish Auto new leds!

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
I bought both high and low of the hikari. Neither required the adapter so far, and the line of the cut off is identical to the halogens .

However, the spread left and right isn't as good as I had hoped . Any fix to that?

The lights fit perfectly into the lows, bit the high beam dust covers don't go back on. Are there aftermarket ones that fir the Dodge ram? Part of the cap lip is blocked on the high beams.

Good question.

I tried installing the Katana high beams ‘cause the low beams worked so well.

They do NOT fit the housing. Sending ‘em back.

Decided to go with 65W 9005 Halogens for high beams (only because I’m not sure the wiring will handle the 100 watt bulbs).

NB

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So for anyone still wondering, a 9005 bulb is the replacement fog light bulb that will fit the factory 2009-2012 housing. All of the sites and bulb lookups say a 9006 is the right bulb, but that is only for 2013+ models.

In addition, a bonus feature to these LEDs in their construction is you can re-use a different size bulb in a new housing of a different size by ordering just the adapter ring (see link)...

RUNGAO 2Pcs Car LED Headlight Bulb Base Adapter Socket Retainer HB3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FYBNCG4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MSorCbZBDHAS9

I successfully used this adapter on what was a 9006 bulb adapter (black) to change it to a 9005 (blue).
0009f90c7be7b92ed914408ec42b493e.jpgfa88be433b5ebff015c66235082e1c03.jpgd8ad4db278648912532069c86704458d.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a set of Vouke VK-5S for christmas. I also got some aftermarket (Perde) black headlights. The headlights weren't as good as I'd hoped so I started looking into it. Found out that for the LEDs to work best, they need to be oriented so the LEDS fire left/right. When I looked into mine, they were at about a 45 degree angle. Comparing the OEM shells to the aftermarket, I can see that where the bulb mounts is rotated by around 90 degrees or so. Well, damn. The Vouke H-11 LEDs aren't adjustable so I ended up drilling out the pin holding the mounting collar on, and getting them aligned correctly, then using silicone adhesive to put them back together. Aggravating, but it's working. I'm on a budget as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I got a set of Vouke VK-5S for christmas. I also got some aftermarket (Perde) black headlights. The headlights weren't as good as I's hoped so I started looking into it. Found out that for the LEDs to work best, the need to be oriented so the LEDS fire left/right. When I looked into mine, they were at about a 45 degree angle. Comparing the OEM shells to the aftermarket, I can see that where the bulb mounts is rotated by around 90 degrees or so. Well, damn. The Vouke H-11 LEDs aren't adjustable so I ended up drilling out the pin holding the mounting collar on, and getting them aligned correctly, then using silicone adhesive to put them back together. Aggravating, but it's working. I'm on a budget as well.
Good idea! Same concept as these but these use set screws...

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove it to work this morning, and the lights are WAY better than before. Looks like they may be a little low so I'll have to find a flat spot somewhere and aim them.

Set screws would have been great. And according to the "directions" that came with the bulb, some of Vouke's models are adjustable, but not the H-11s. I contacted them about it and their suggestion was to have Perde adjust the headlight shells.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those that installed the Hikari H11. I purchased a set in December for a headlight build that I haven't finished. The dial is a plus for angling them properly. But, do they actually reflect properly, ensuring no scatter and fine cutoff?

I'm questioning if they properly positioned and sized the led board so it mimics the halogen bulb filament position and size the housing is designed for. I'm thinking not for the price, but what do you think?

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for anyone still wondering, a 9005 bulb is the replacement fog light bulb that will fit the factory 2009-2012 housing. All of the sites and bulb lookups say a 9006 is the right bulb, but that is only for 2013+ models.
Thank you! I'm also confused by rear lights, as that apparently varies by trim and year as well.

From my research, it appears that for my 2009 Ram 1500 Sport w/ non-projector (quad) lights, the rear backup lights are 912 size, as are the cab lights on the third brake light also 912, and the rear brake light are 3057/3157. Does that sound right?

If so, I think the brightest options available right now are using the new 3030SMDs:
1) Backup light and cab lights (1500 lumen) <- edit: work great
2) Brake lights (1600 lumen) <- edit: do NOT work, hyperflash/light out error (needs resistor)

lumen.PNG

Last edited:

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Just put these $29 Oedro led 9006 in my 2013 Ram fogs, nice and bright and perfect light pattern. No flicker and no codes, leds surround it like a halogen so no rotating needed, fit perfect. Odd thing is I haven't threw a single code or flicker issue from any of these led lights, even the katana h7 low beams or cheap tail light leds and license. Only code I got was from the 2019 style headlights left turn signal led board.

IMG_20190430_001553.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you! I'm also confused by rear lights, as that apparently varies by trim and year as well.

From my research, it appears that for my 2009 Ram 1500 Sport w/ non-projector (quad) lights, the rear backup lights are 912 size, as are the cab lights on the third brake light also 912, and the rear brake light are 3057/3157. Does that sound right?

If so, I think the brightest options available right now are using the new 3030SMDs:
1) Backup light and cab lights (1500 lumen)
2) Brake lights (1600 lumen)

View attachment 164622
*921* should be the bulb...

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here you go...

Yep got my stuff from them this past Christmas as a gift from the wife eacy to install HID lights low beam and fog lights no messing with relays and all the wiring mess canbus plug and play also life time warranty on all their stuff they just mail you new stuff very happy with this company :Caffeine:

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
They have good products, but almost 4x the price of the products actual cost. I just put in katana h7 leds, same as supernova v4 for $46. No errors on my 13 Ram and HR wanted around $200.

ALLA Lighting

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L V6 diesel
Drove it to work this morning, and the lights are WAY better than before. Looks like they may be a little low so I'll have to find a flat spot somewhere and aim them.

Set screws would have been great. And according to the "directions" that came with the bulb, some of Vouke's models are adjustable, but not the H-11s. I contacted them about it and their suggestion was to have Perde adjust the headlight shells.

For most LED single filament bulbs with design (LED chip on each side) the yellow LED chips should be facing left to right (side to side) for best light output. If the yellow LED chips are facing a different angle, the LED bulbs may appear dimmed or blind oncoming traffic. Also, there are different H11 LED bulbs that do have the capability to adjust beam direction. Always best to confirm that function before purchase.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just noticed the Hikari Ultra H7 is OOS basically everywhere. Not sure why?

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fwiw those aren't the ultra, even though it seems they aren't that much better than the standard.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Fwiw those aren't the ultra, even though it seems they aren't that much better than the standard.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
You are correct...I overlooked that. I actually have the ultra installed. When I compared the two the difference was barely noticeable (if that helps). For the price and performance, the Hikari lights are hard to beat IMO.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For most LED single filament bulbs with design (LED chip on each side) the yellow LED chips should be facing left to right (side to side) for best light output. If the yellow LED chips are facing a different angle, the LED bulbs may appear dimmed or blind oncoming traffic. Also, there are different H11 LED bulbs that do have the capability to adjust beam direction. Always best to confirm that function before purchase.

The problem seems to be with the Perde headlight housings. Yes, the LED bulbs aren't adjustable, but they would have worked normally in the OEM housings. For some reason, the Perde lights had the bulb slots rotated. I have some pics of it all, but in the end - after rotating the bulbs so they align correctly, they're great. Not sure why Perde did what they did, but, I worked through it.

Need to get some LED fog bulbs now. Maybe do the high's eventually, but I'm mostly in town and don't use them.