LED bulbs in OEM Quad reflector headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I've bought the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 on black Friday for my factory Quad reflector headlights. While they are brighter than halogen and has a nice cutoff, maybe it's just me but I can barely see the road beneath me that I'm having to rely on my fog lights (also swapped with LED bulbs) for extra light. What can I do to improve the beam pattern for my headlights? My truck is a stock height 1500 Lonestar (Bighorn) with its factory 20 inch rims if that helps anyone.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Assuming you have clocked the bulbs correctly (most led bulbs are incorrect for the high beams by default.), you have reached the limit on the quads.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Assuming you have clocked the bulbs correctly (most led bulbs are incorrect for the high beams by default.), you have reached the limit on the quads.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
The LED chips are clocked in the 9 and 3 o'clock postion as mentioned in previous other threads that I've found.

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For a long time I've felt like the problem with aftermarket LEDs.. well, a few problems really but if we ignore the crappy ones that just scatter light everywhere..

They are all some ridiculous 6000k or bluer light or else they're straight up yellow. Zero companies make a 4000k-ish LED headlight.

I tried to compare lights as impartially as I could a couple weeks ago and here's what I got out of that:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/more-headlight-fun.171930/

Well if you're not in the mood to read all that, bottom line is upgraded halogen lamps gave me every bit as much light output as the best LEDs I could find, it was just a less fashionable color and I couldn't see wet roads or dark cars nearly as well with the LEDs.

Maybe I'll try again if somebody makes white LEDs but I'm not interested in blue or selective yellow light. I can buy 4000k LEDs for my house all day long...

OP
OP
R

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For a long time I've felt like the problem with aftermarket LEDs.. well, a few problems really but if we ignore the crappy ones that just scatter light everywhere..

They are all some ridiculous 6000k or bluer light or else they're straight up yellow. Zero companies make a 4000k-ish LED headlight.

I tried to compare lights as impartially as I could a couple weeks ago and here's what I got out of that:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/more-headlight-fun.171930/

Well if you're not in the mood to read all that, bottom line is upgraded halogen lamps gave me every bit as much light output as the best LEDs I could find, it was just a less fashionable color and I couldn't see wet roads or dark cars nearly as well with the LEDs.

Maybe I'll try again if somebody makes white LEDs but I'm not interested in blue or selective yellow light. I can buy 4000k LEDs for my house all day long...
I defintely gave it a read and it honestly reminded me of this video: I honestly come to realize that I'm used to the harsh color that regular halogens put out instead of the soft white (or blue) of the LED and HID. Especially in the rain, the LED in the fog lights become useless to me. Still I figure the bright white has it usefulness as DRL. I guess I'm reverting back to halogen for the low beam and finding a good quality one.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use supernova v4 leds in mine with no issues. Swapped from stock to sylvania zxe which is the brightest direct replacement halogen you can get. They were great. Then I switch to the leds and they are definitely brighter. Just remember that not all leds fit and aim properly in every housing due to design of the housing and design of the bulb output. If I had known better before I would have bought actual led headlights or retrofitted mine for Morimoto led projectors. Or even just a regular projector with an hid upgrade.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem as you suspected is the color. The white does an amazing job of lighting up an area and reflecting off signs and markers. It also bounces right off wet pavement like a mirror. What some have done is switch the fogs to either a yellow bulb, tinted the lens with a yellow film, or gone to a switchback bulb that can illuminate yellow or white when you switch the fogs off and on. I added the yellow film about a week ago, but I haven't had the chance to drive on wet roads since. We went from rain almost every day to, no rain for over a week.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
Are they clockable? I don't see a set screw.
I have them just in low beams and they lined up at 3 and 9. I don’t know if they can be adjusted. When I put them in the lens and locked them in place they lined up perfect for the lens.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did the 9011 and 9012 conversions, then the same with the H whatever size we have it's way brighter... the color is a little whiter than stock, but not much.

Brighter than most LED's out there too... Phillips bulbs btw.

Icy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use supernova v4 leds in mine with no issues. Swapped from stock to sylvania zxe which is the brightest direct replacement halogen you can get. They were great. Then I switch to the leds and they are definitely brighter. Just remember that not all leds fit and aim properly in every housing due to design of the housing and design of the bulb output. If I had known better before I would have bought actual led headlights or retrofitted mine for Morimoto led projectors. Or even just a regular projector with an hid upgrade.
Do you think it is worth it to just go with the ZXEs?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you think it is worth it to just go with the ZXEs?
Price them out and see if it works for you. They’re not a bad upgrade but they are pricey. If you can find them. I’d say they were about 10-15% brighter than stock. My leds are about 90% brighter than that. If I ever upgrade again it’ll to be led housings

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind with the brighter halogen bulbs, like SS Ultra/ZXE, you get less life out of them. So factor that into your pricing. I loved the output from the ZXEs, but they lasted less than a year in my old Mazda. Most of the bulb manufacturers have the life hours listed for each type. Probably not super accurate, but it gives you an idea.

Icy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the 9011 and 9012 conversions, then the same with the H whatever size we have it's way brighter... the color is a little whiter than stock, but not much.

Brighter than most LED's out there too... Phillips bulbs btw.

Im in Maryland like you, but what do you have to do, to put these particular bulbs in.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inside the connector there's a third tab, you just have to dremel the tab out. I'm not sure if that's on the 11's or 12's. The other I think the outer tab where there's three tabs, one might need cut down a little smaller but I'm not 100%.

I typed 9005 to 9011 conversion and 9006 to 9012 conversion on google and found a link to how to do it.

If you need help with it, pm me. Maryland is pretty small, sure we could meet up somewhere.