Led bulbs in tail lights 2004 ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Want to put led bulbs in back of my 2004... anybody done this? How do I wire the load resistors into the harness? Is there a plug and play resistor I can put in without having to figure out the wiring? I've tried testing the wires with my meter, but all the sockets seem to read 9 to 10 volts all the time... it's confusing... any tips or input welcome. Thanks.

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Want to put led bulbs in back of my 2004... anybody done this? How do I wire the load resistors into the harness? Is there a plug and play resistor I can put in without having to figure out the wiring? I've tried testing the wires with my meter, but all the sockets seem to read 9 to 10 volts all the time... it's confusing... any tips or input welcome. Thanks.

You will need resistors to make them work, they do make plug and play socket resistors, I use them on my switchbacks in my front headlights. Usually you can get a pair for $20 on ebay. The rams use a 3157 socket size. Just search up “3157 socket resistors” and it should come up. But honestly it may just be worth it to buy some new tail lights like the Depo led tails, just saves some hassle of all the wiring in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Joshua Clark

Joshua Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will need resistors to make them work, they do make plug and play socket resistors, I use them on my switchbacks in my front headlights. Usually you can get a pair for $20 on ebay. The rams use a 3157 socket size. Just search up “3157 socket resistors” and it should come up. But honestly it may just be worth it to buy some new tail lights like the Depo led tails, just saves some hassle of all the wiring in my opinion.

Yeah. I'm beginning to feel that way myself.... I'm pretty good at mechanical and installing stereo systems and what not, but the whole automotive electrical thing is a different world for me... I'm also killing myself trying to wire up my viper remote start/alarm myself.... lol... I guess I'm hardheaded like that. .. my truck is highly temperamental since I put her back together, so I try not to let anybody else touch her, but I am probably going to look into the LED tail lights. Thanks so much for your input bro. It's nice to have a place to turn for help

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Yeah. I'm beginning to feel that way myself.... I'm pretty good at mechanical and installing stereo systems and what not, but the whole automotive electrical thing is a different world for me... I'm also killing myself trying to wire up my viper remote start/alarm myself.... lol... I guess I'm hardheaded like that. .. my truck is highly temperamental since I put her back together, so I try not to let anybody else touch her, but I am probably going to look into the LED tail lights. Thanks so much for your input bro. It's nice to have a place to turn for help

No problem man, and I feel ya on the whole electrical thing. Our vehicles can be very finicky when doing electrical work.

OP
OP
Joshua Clark

Joshua Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No problem man, and I feel ya on the whole electrical thing. Our vehicles can be very finicky when doing electrical work.

Very much so.... this is what my baby used to look likeIMG_20150708_104731.jpgIMG_20150708_112041.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

PrettyMolly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your changing the bulbs, just get the can-bus type... if your changing the taillights... then splice in a load resistor on the signal wire.

Josh Melborune

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I'm having issues with my led tail lights. I'm thinking you will need at least 2 100 watt resistors in each side I tried 2 50 watt in each side and it didnt help

Richard Schmale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
richard here: i cheated for my 08 i bought led tail lights and they came with the cab light
anybody intrested can check with LKQ BARGER WRECING YARD IN NAMPA IDAHO. i also have 4 front running light bulbs new stock my email is [email protected] last i knew the truck had a lot of useable parts motor 5.7 trans deceant seats. thanks members for your time by the way the frame is screwed up.

fireguy627

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I just bought some replacement led taillights for my 02 that were supposed to be plug and play. When I tested them the brake lights just flashed, didn't stay on. With lights and ignition off brake lights were still on but very dim. HELP please