LED headlight bulb swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My new truck came with the halogens, but I would prefer to change it over to led bulbs. I don't want to change the headlight housing, because I prefer that look.

What are some quality companies out there for LED bulbs that will fit in my Ram (2020 Big Horn)? And will they need 'extra' parts to make them work (capacitors, etc)? Thanks.

Underground Lighting

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My new truck came with the halogens, but I would prefer to change it over to led bulbs. I don't want to change the headlight housing, because I prefer that look.

What are some quality companies out there for LED bulbs that will fit in my Ram (2020 Big Horn)? And will they need 'extra' parts to make them work (capacitors, etc)? Thanks.
I will pm you

Dad_Jokes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Diode Dynamics sells LED bulb kits that are plug and play and require no extra cutting, harnesses, or modifications. Direct Drop ins.

Underground, Headlight Revolution, TRS, etc. There are several that sell quality kits. Big thing to look for is a company that sells automotive specific LEDs not just eye blinding upgrades. LED type and orientation make all the difference between a cheap ebay/amazon bulb and a legit $100+ automotive LED bulb.

Last edited:

TXFireMedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had diode dynamics on my last truck and bought another set for my 2020. They have a hell of a warranty if you have any issues.
1DB211B3-3D31-48D8-86F9-7D2E6CADC68C.jpeg

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
I’m looking at buying the Underground Lighting for my truck. I have a 2017 1500 Limited with factory projector style lights. I want to get high/low beam LED bulbs as well as LED bulbs for the fog lights. Do I have to remove the grill and fan shroud to install the bulbs?

Underground Lighting

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m looking at buying the Underground Lighting for my truck. I have a 2017 1500 Limited with factory projector style lights. I want to get high/low beam LED bulbs as well as LED bulbs for the fog lights. Do I have to remove the grill and fan shroud to install the bulbs?
You will have to remove the grill and pull the headlight out to swap the bulbs for the head light. Leds wont fit the high beam due to the high beam location inside the headliguth cover. It is not centered and the led fan can not fit. You can do HID for that if you like. Ill pm you.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
You will have to remove the grill and pull the headlight out to swap the bulbs for the head light. Leds wont fit the high beam due to the high beam location inside the headliguth cover. It is not centered and the led fan can not fit. You can do HID for that if you like. Ill pm you.

+1.

You'd probably have a little better luck with answers to questions like these in the 4th gen (2009-2018, 2019-2020 Classic) section. Not chasing you away, just trying to help. Also, you'll want to be careful with which HIDs or LEDs you choose, you'll want ones that closely mimic the filament location of a halogen bulb, being that your projectors are meant for halogen. I went through that same exercise with my 2014 Ram Longhorn, which had the same headlights. The wrong bulbs will look nice and bright, but will throw light at the wrong angles and in the wrong directions, blinding oncoming drivers. Your projectors are a bit more forgiving with that, thankfully, compared to the regular housings, but its still possible.

OP
OP
Ram 1970

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally decided on Cougar Motor LEDs. Got them installed and they are very bright. Supposedly 10000 Lumens per pair....but I think that's more hype than real world measurement.

The were plug and play. No flickering.