Led light bar question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I installed 2 7inch amber led light bars in my trucks aftermarket bumper where the fog lights would normally go and wired into my fog light wiring. Everything worked until a started the truck and the p/s light started to flicker and the d/s would flicker intermittently. I figured I need to install a resistor in the circuit but not sure if I can use a parallel resistor or if I have to use a different type. The lights are 36w with an operating voltage of between 10-30 volts. If you guys would have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not sure. Ive put light bars on trucks before but the have their own circuit and switch. I did run some pods on my 4wheeler through the headlight switch and dont have a problem but it doesnt have nowhere near the technology of trucks these days

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Look into the AlfaOBD program. You can set your fog lights for LED and that should fix the flicker.
The other option is to use the fog light circuit to trigger a relay and run the lights off that

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I used Alpha as mentioned above. Then removed my resisters. If you pay the shipping you can have my resister set if you like. I think they'll fit in a small USPS Priority box is 9.45 shipping, a medium box 16.10. If you want, pm me.

They are DDM Adapters and 20.00 new. Probably a better deal for new, Mine were used for approx 1 year

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Use the relay/wiring that came with them and use the fog light wiring as the on for the relay. Assuming they came with harnesses.

OP
OP
Ram Outdoorsman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately I can’t get alfaobd because they don’t make it for apple. I did figure out that my one ground wire in the fog light kit was actually bad so I repaired that and the flickering stopped until this morning when I went to go to work and the flickering started back up again and than when I was on my way home I was checking whenever I was behind a car at a red light using my trucks reflection and they didn’t flicker once. So I think I’ll just do what Joshua collins recommended and wire them that way just so I’m not chasing electric gremlins

Last edited: