LED reverse light pod wiring from the trailer harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ladder20Roof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i tied the pods into the trailer harness red to the white with red stripe, and black to the white with black stripe, thinking that they would turn on with the reverse lights... nada... any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would just got the extra 4-5’ and tie it into either one of your reverse wires on your tail lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm not sure of the wire color but it's the wire going to the center terminal in the 7 pin trailer plug for the reverse lights should go-to the positive wire for the pods.
You don't want to wire them to the reverse taillight circuits, several on this forum have tried and it causes bulb out errors and the lights not working. Not to mention this is on a '15 which are usually more particular about lighting changes.
Did you check the F28 FFM 20 amp Trailer Back up lights fuse?

One of the easy ways to hook lights up to the trailer harness is use the the Curt 56584 That gives you a five flat which includes the reverse light wire. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU/

OP
OP
L

Ladder20Roof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I'm going to go for the lights themselves next, i didn't get any bulbs out warnings with the trailer harness

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Led is polarity sensitive check your power and reverse wires
I wired my in to the trailer plug wiring
will have to find info it you need

OP
OP
L

Ladder20Roof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the ground, white with the black stripe, in the harness and the white wire with the red stripe threw the truck into reverse and... nothing

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not sure of colors but reverse is in the center and you can get ground at the connector or just on the frame somewhere

C11059EB-6A59-4C1F-9B57-F469A0E92A02.png

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't want to wire them to the reverse taillight circuits, several on this forum have tried and it causes bulb out errors and the lights not working. Not to mention this is on a '15 which are usually more particular about lighting changes.

That’s interesting. I did this to my ‘17 and never had a problem. That crazy that this didn’t work for some guys.

OP
OP
L

Ladder20Roof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s interesting. I did this to my ‘17 and never had a problem. That crazy that this didn’t work for some guys.

You went from the taillights? Or the trailer harness?

OP
OP
L

Ladder20Roof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do i need to thread the 12v hot into the reverse light somehow or should there be electric through the reverse wire?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do i need to thread the 12v hot into the reverse light somehow or should there be electric through the reverse wire?
You would wire the LED pods to the reverse wire for the trailer plug and the to ground(body or the ground wire in the plug). That reverse wire provides the power to light the pod when in reverse.

The +12V connect in the trailer plug provides constant power and is used to provide power to the trailer, usually for charging the break away battery.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
You would wire the LED pods to the reverse wire for the trailer plug and the to ground(body or the ground wire in the plug). That reverse wire provides the power to light the pod when in reverse.

The +12V connect in the trailer plug provides constant power and is used to provide power to the trailer, usually for charging the break away battery.
yes sir, sure makes it easier

OP
OP
L

Ladder20Roof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah my harness must be screwed up then, its wired correctly just not working, ididn't use a relay tho...thanks for the help

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ah my harness must be screwed up then, its wired correctly just not working,
Did you check the F28 Trailer Tow B/U fuse? Each pin has its own fuse and that type of fuse(FMM-20) is hard see if it's blown, you'll want to use a meter.

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You went from the taillights? Or the trailer harness?

Sorry for the late response. I wired into the drivers side tail light