LED Tail Light Bulbs for 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 That Work with PCI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I have tried LED tail light bulbs before in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. But the PCI system makes them burn dimly even when the light switch is turned off. Additionally, I get a "Lamp Out" light on the dash. I tried some 6 ohm resistors, but it didn't help. Is there a LED bulb solution for these old trucks with the PCI bulb monitoring system? They appear to send a micro-voltage through the tail lights much of the time. LED headlights and fog lamps work great. But not the tail lights.

Ram24Sep2021_02.jpgRam24Sep2021_01.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just went with whole compatible units when I finally found a set that wasn't garish:

IMAG5062.jpg

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Where did you get those? There are some similar on Amazon but they are not as nice.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not so sure you would be happy with LED's in the taillights. The housings are designed to "reflect", and the LED's are more of a direct projection. I tried LED's in the taillights of my ATV, and you could hardly see them compared to the incandescent bulbs. The reflective housing just wasn't working with the LED's. Don't get me wrong, I love LED's in many places, but unless the taillights were designed for LED's, I don't think you would be satisfied with the results. With the LED technology constantly improving, maybe there is something out there designed for taillight usage, I just have not seen it. I wish you luck with your project, and please keep us posted if you find what your looking for.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I'm not so sure you would be happy with LED's in the taillights. The housings are designed to "reflect", and the LED's are more of a direct projection. I tried LED's in the taillights of my ATV, and you could hardly see them compared to the incandescent bulbs. The reflective housing just wasn't working with the LED's. Don't get me wrong, I love LED's in many places, but unless the taillights were designed for LED's, I don't think you would be satisfied with the results. With the LED technology constantly improving, maybe there is something out there designed for taillight usage, I just have not seen it. I wish you luck with your project, and please keep us posted if you find what your looking for.
I've used them in the taillights on my 2006 Dodge Charger Dayton for a long time. They work very well in those housings and considerably change the look of the tail lights at night. But they set off the PCI system in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. Here are the ones I used in the Charger:

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I haven't had a problem with them in the 3 yrs I've had them and it's been absolutely wonderful to not ever put up with the intermittent 'lamp out' ding the entire time. I just hope they haven't changed anything in that time; mine are great.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Got my new LED tail lights install yesterday evening. Here are some photos. Note that the "neon-looking" parts actually appear red. For some reason, my cell phone camera makes them seem orange.

03DodgeTailLights01.jpg

I used Auxito brand LED bulbs for the reverse lights. These are about $20 a pair. But they look and work great:

03DodgeTailLights03.jpg

Before (Original 2003 OEM tail lights):

03DodgeTailLights02.jpg

After:

03DodgeTailLights04.jpg

Brake and signal lights:

03DodgeTailLights06.jpg

Reverse lights:

03DodgeTailLights05.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They stand out so much more on a different color, looks good.