LED upgrade for low beams...Done with HID's...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram sport 4x4 crew
Engine
hemi 5.7
so i currently got HID kit in my truck and its the worst...had for a few years different brands and they have just let me down...bulbs not turning on...1 on 1 off....randomly dimming?...tried a $500 kit..failed me...$200 kit..so on so on..im annoyed....what is a hassle free LED bulb that will suite me....i have aftermarket headlights....spyders...so they have that weird metal clip thing...but anyways yeah...i need a led that will work and be reliable... not flicker or whatever....2015 ram sport. (had OEM projector headlights) swapped with spyder headlights. (projector also):confused::mad:

My projectors currently take a H1 bulb.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
these are whats currently in

h1_hid_pair_2_1.jpg

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so i currently got HID kit in my truck and its the worst...had for a few years different brands and they have just let me down...bulbs not turning on...1 on 1 off....randomly dimming?...tried a $500 kit..failed me...$200 kit..so on so on..im annoyed....what is a hassle free LED bulb that will suite me....i have aftermarket headlights....spyders...so they have that weird metal clip thing...but anyways yeah...i need a led that will work and be reliable... not flicker or whatever....2015 ram sport. (had OEM projector headlights) swapped with spyder headlights. (projector also):confused::mad:

I hate to tell ya but you’ll be even more displeased with LED bulbs. Especially in projectors. Definitely don’t want LED bulbs in projector lenses. The optics are not designed for it. You’ll need a projector specifically designed for LEDs. And at that point your paying over a grand for any option out there. Even Morimotos XBs or alpha Rex LEDs won’t even touch HIDs in stock projectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My projectors currently take a H1 bulb.
Have you tried DDM tuning or GTR from H.R. HID’s?
Both have lifetime warranty and neither need resistors or harnesses.

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a DDM Tuning near my house. Got their basic HIDs for my oem projectors. Have had them in about 1 year now, look great, lifetime warranty and only cost me around 90 bucks I think. By the way, why did you get rid of the OEM projectors?

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a DDM Tuning near my house. Got their basic HIDs for my oem projectors. Have had them in about 1 year now, look great, lifetime warranty and only cost me around 90 bucks I think. By the way, why did you get rid of the OEM projectors?
I got rid of OEM projector headlights because I needed to be different, I got some Spyder headlights that I modded out. And I had a lumens HID kit. Was expensive...and failed...after those failed I didn't know who else to look at. All I would need is low beams H1. My issue with his is when I turn my truck on...one bulb won't turn on... sometimes it will sometimes it won't. For me to get it on I have to spin my headlamp dial repeatedly just to trigger it on...not even the fact when I use the dial to turn my headlights off i notice they go bright for a split second then slightly dim in brightness....idk what to do

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I got rid of OEM projector headlights because I needed to be different, I got some Spyder headlights that I modded out. And I had a lumens HID kit. Was expensive...and failed...after those failed I didn't know who else to look at. All I would need is low beams H1. My issue with his is when I turn my truck on...one bulb won't turn on... sometimes it will sometimes it won't. For me to get it on I have to spin my headlamp dial repeatedly just to trigger it on...not even the fact when I use the dial to turn my headlights off i notice they go bright for a split second then slightly dim in brightness....idk what to do

Screenshot_20190916_020829.jpg

Screenshot_20190916_021014.jpg

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have an AlphaOBD and change the settings in your truck to HID?

This will fix a lot of issues you are having without having to run a relay harness. Our trucks are an absolute pain with the canbus system.

And like mentioned above. If you throw LED’s in a projector housing you are going to be even further disappointed then the issues you had with your HID kit. I would suggest going back to a quality HID kit like the Morimoto elite designed for our truck and use AlphaOBD

Underground Lighting

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Message us, Ill be more than happy to help. With h1 in aftermarket housings you do not want leds.

LI Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
not to derail this but I have LED high and low beam.. Satisfied for now with the output but I recently noticed the high beams only illuminate when I "flash" them ,not when put them on steady...Any suggestions?...I started a new thread , so if there are any suggestions I would appreciate it if place on that thread,,,

Last edited:

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not to derail this but I have LED high and low beam.. Satisfied for now with the output but I recently noticed the high beams only illuminate when I "flash" them ,not when put them on steady...Any suggestions?

I’d create a thread of your own about it. Most people will just skim over your comment and not pay attention to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you have an AlphaOBD and change the settings in your truck to HID?

This will fix a lot of issues you are having without having to run a relay harness. Our trucks are an absolute pain with the canbus system.

And like mentioned above. If you throw LED’s in a projector housing you are going to be even further disappointed then the issues you had with your HID kit. I would suggest going back to a quality HID kit like the Morimoto elite designed for our truck and use AlphaOBD
I have a obd2 Bluetooth just never purchased alpha yet...

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Mictunings worked great in my '09 1500. Sorry, I gave all upgrade paperwork & history away, so, forgot the model #. It came complete with 2 HID bulbs, harness, ballasts, instructions.

It worked so well, I ordered another set and cut off one whole side & capped the wires so I could use it on my Harley Softail. That worked even better!

I baid $99. apiece about 8 yrs ago.

Good Luck brother.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a obd2 Bluetooth just never purchased alpha yet...
Do you like the output of the HIDs you have when they do work? Judging by the money you already spent on hid kits, you seem like the type that’s gonna spend $100+ on LEDs. Do yourself a favor and just spend the $50 on the AlfaOBD software instead, and configure your bcm to run the hid kit you already have flawlessly.

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As someone else may have offered - DDM tuning offers canbus HID kits with lifetime warranty for about $90.00 - understanding the troubles you have had with other sets, i would go with DDM

Good luck

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you like the output of the HIDs you have when they do work? Judging by the money you already spent on hid kits, you seem like the type that’s gonna spend $100+ on LEDs. Do yourself a favor and just spend the $50 on the AlfaOBD software instead, and configure your bcm to run the hid kit you already have flawlessly.
i seen that....theres a demo version i tried to connect to my body computer and it didnt allow me to connect? maybe because it was a demo??? also got a veepeak bluetooth obd2.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
i seen that....theres a demo version i tried to connect to my body computer and it didnt allow me to connect? maybe because it was a demo??? also got a veepeak bluetooth obd2.
With the full version, I am able to connect with a Veepeak Bluetooth OBD, to my 2010 2500. I could not get the demo version to work though.