Left in the dust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
yes so true... i have been upgrading my truck and the parts im replacing or adding to i am paying full price. Problem is, some have bought a truck for what they needed at the time. 3yr ago, I had NOOOOO plans for a TT... now times change...

Same here... I spec'd my truck out so I could easily tow 10k when needed. Now we got this monster 5th wheel & I am maxing it out! Trucks have gone up a lot since I bought mine in 2016. And then if you bump up to a Cummins... well that's another 10k. If I bump up to 4.56 & maybe a tuner, that should get me by for the next 2-3 years.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Well heck, don't mess with regearing or hot rodding the engine.
Install an aux transmission or an underdrive unit,
go into under drive get load rolling and kick it up to direct.
Or some you can split gears, 1st+low, 1st+direct, 2nd+low, 2nd+direct, 3rd+low and so on.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Lol, one can do a lot with photoshop or similar programs these days. Zoom in on the wheels, they appear to be 5 lug and not 8 lug. Hahahaha....that is too funny though..

Or not..... :)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2018 3500 Dually with the 6.4. It has the 6 speed auto transmission and 3.73 gears.

I have a terrible time pulling my 30’ stock trailer. The trailer is 10,000lbs empty. When it is loaded i really struggle with torque and getting it up to speed.
How much weight is being loaded? You say it's a stock trailer, if you put 4 cows (1500 lbs ea) in this trailer your about at the rated towing capacity of either of your trucks(provided they're both 3.73). Factory 4.10 gearing will probably net you two more animals. If these trucks were CTD you would probably be able to put 12 animals in the trailer.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As mentioned already. Gears are one of the bigger factors here. In order I would consider doing

Gears
tune-Custom tune. Tell the tuner how much you tow and they can program the trans to work for you better.
intake
exhaust----To take this one step further if you really want to up the power to pull better. Do long tube headers. Along with a tune this will be the biggest increase of power you can make that you can easily bolt on, staying N/A..

As far as the gears. I just came across this thread. This person is towing close to the same amount as you...Something to think about. Maybe reach out to him and compare to help you decide what steps you should take.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/6-4-did-well-with-our-new-trailer.154896/