Left Speakers not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500lover98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500HD Quad Cab 5.7L HEMI
Hey guys, im new to the forum and this is my first post :) glad to be a part of the Ram Forum community, anyway im looking at buying a 2005 Ram 2500 however the left side speakers don't work and i have already messed around with the balance and fade with no luck, and im pretty bad with radios so im not sure where to start. Any help would be awesome :D

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
pull door panel, and pull speaker out. Un-hhok it and hook it to a known working speaker, see if you get sound. If you do, you know it's speaker, replace. If the known working one doesnt work, then may be amp in HU...at least you can isolate it.

Welcome to RF!

rex450se

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
It could also easily be the wiring. I would use a voltmeter and test to make sure there is a signal getting there. Then, if there isn't check on the inside of the truck for a signal. I had a similar problem with my back passenger speaker not working. Where the rubber boot that carries the wires for the door meets the door jamb, there should be a plug. Unplug it and check that the wires to that point are getting power. Luckily I checked that before going any further because i had power there, so I knew it had to be between that plug and the speaker. When I pulled the rubber boot back I noticed half of the wires had been pinched and cut. I just soldered in little jumpers and heat shrinked around them individually and closed everything up and it worked like a charm. In fact it may be easier to try that first, just unplug the adapter and check there before having to take the door panel and everything off. Then you'll know if it's the speaker or wiring in the door, or something from there to the radio.

Victor

OP
OP
ram1500lover98

ram1500lover98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the feedback guys, i ended up buying it so i will look at the wiring and speakers to see if thats the problem, my friend also told me it could be the head unit so if the wiring and speakers are ok then ill try replacing that.

Big John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After reading some of the posts, I pulled the wiring harness from the left rear door frame and found 5 wires that had been broken in 2. In addition to the speakers not working, my door locks quit and I was getting strange error codes.

After repairing the wires, all works well and I appreciate everyone's input

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Glad to see ya got it fixed!

OP
OP
ram1500lover98

ram1500lover98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for taking so long but i found the problem.. same as big john, 8 out 10 wires in the boot for the back door weren't connected and the speaker in the front somehow the magnet fell off of it so got it all fixed

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
goo deal, cheap fix :D