Level kit on a Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mh3c

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for those not doing the OEM air suspension but still leveling the truck are you doing airbags (Firestone or other) for towing to keep the rear from sagging?

On my 2015 I leveled the front and then replaced the rear coils with progressive ones and then added Timber Grover airbags. Worked great!

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The hoses will leak, compressors will fail. Before that happens cold weather will wreak havoc and only one side gets up, switch won’t work, OR2 doesn’t keep the height past 40mph, drives harsh in that mode cause air wasn’t designed to drive in OR2 only to sort an obstacle, your tire size options are limited without a bracket lift cause the system will drop the height on the fwy. your options for lift are faking the system changing the links but you’re stuck with the air shocks, or you’re stuck with 1 company to lift it higher with brackets. Air is a headache the moment you buy it let alone the bill when you’re are out of warranty and you have to pay To fix it. It may ride better than stock if you’re not lifting and you want to keep the ride as bone stock as possible. But then for how long? You might get lucky with it. I’m sure the ones that haven’t failed yet are still out there. Part of headache is the waiting. Lol worst when the POS fails outside of your warranty.

I second this ^^^^ Air Ride is a ticking time bomb waiting to fail at the worst time possible. Still relatively new in the Ram world however Lincoln and Cadillac have been running these types of systems for a while. If you have it stay stock and service regularly. Forget about leveling or wheels and tires unless you want to spend the money on a BDS kit to do it right. I will end by Its great when it works. But if you plan to keep the truck you will hear a lot of I told you so

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My understanding is the 5th gen air system is redesigned to prevent the 4th gen issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
My understanding is the 5th gen air system is redesigned to prevent the 4th gen issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Manufacturers have been saying that for years. The Lincoln Navigator and GMC Denali have been on air ride a lot longer and still have issues. Air ride is awesome on a lease or something that you are not planning to keep or use it to do truck stuff. I have seen the aftermath of loosing an airbag in the middle of nowhere off-roading and it is not fun

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Manufacturers have been saying that for years. The Lincoln Navigator and GMC Denali have been on air ride a lot longer and still have issues. Air ride is awesome on a lease or something that you are not planning to keep or use it to do truck stuff. I have seen the aftermath of loosing an airbag in the middle of nowhere off-roading and it is not fun

The denali has never had air ride, unless the new 2021 models happen to offer it now (the off road at4/z71 models do anyway). They have typical coil springs in the rear and coilover struts up front. They do have air assist shocks in the rear to keep the rig level with loads, which works stupendously well IMO. My wife has had her latest denali over 4 years and 115k miles so far...never had a lick of issues with it. But yea, completely different system then the ram’s full air suspension.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The denali has never had air ride, unless the new 2021 models happen to offer it now (the off road at4/z71 models do anyway). They have typical coil springs in the rear and coilover struts up front. They do have air assist shocks in the rear to keep the rig level with loads, which works stupendously well IMO. My wife has had her latest denali over 4 years and 115k miles so far...never had a lick of issues with it. But yea, completely different system then the ram’s full air suspension.
You’re right I’m not a Chevy guy I remember my employee always complaining about the air system on his Denali. The first air ride I swapped for coils was early 2000’s maybe 04ish. When people find me they’ve been to 5-6 shops so I hear the standard it’s never worked right etc. Other than the street drivers the off road guys blow them out.
When I swap them to a coil over set up because I only know how to upgrade it’s nothing but thank yous and the headache is finally over.

Kenneth Gunther

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2020 ram Limited. The Air suspension is the only suspension option you have with that vehicle. I also got the night edition and I absolutely loved it. Initially I put NItto Ridge Grappler 305/45/22 on the original limited wheels. They looked pretty good but I wanted to lift the truck and put a 35 inch tire on there so I put a BDS 4 inch lift kit that is specifically made for the air ride suspension on. Then I chose 20 inch motiv off-road Magnus wheels in Black wrapped in 35 inch BF Goodrich KO2s. The lift kit was just over $2600 the installation of that kit by a local shop was $1400. The tire and wheel set up cost me $2900. I then sold my stock wheels with the metal ridge grappler tires on them for $2000. So I’m all in for about $4900. I cannot tell you how great the ride is now. The ram already had a terrific ride but now it’s even better! A week after I had the lift kit done me and my wife drove to Texas from Long Island New York. The 3700 mile round trip was an absolute pleasure. When I get my next truck I am going to do the same exact thing

55B969EE-BF20-4165-86DE-EFFB0DCE4F9E.jpeg

2CAC3EC4-64A6-478A-9DB0-3FD654862077.jpeg

F09EFBEE-61CA-4C56-A9BF-005D98DCAAA8.jpeg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2020 ram Limited. The Air suspension is the only suspension option you have with that vehicle. I also got the night edition and I absolutely loved it. Initially I put NItto Ridge Grappler 305/45/22 on the original limited wheels. They looked pretty good but I wanted to lift the truck and put a 35 inch tire on there so I put a BDS 4 inch lift kit that is specifically made for the air ride suspension on. Then I chose 20 inch motiv off-road Magnus wheels in Black wrapped in 35 inch BF Goodrich KO2s. The lift kit was just over $2600 the installation of that kit by a local shop was $1400. The tire and wheel set up cost me $2900. I then sold my stock wheels with the metal ridge grappler tires on them for $2000. So I’m all in for about $4900. I cannot tell you how great the ride is now. The ram already had a terrific ride but now it’s even better! A week after I had the lift kit done me and my wife drove to Texas from Long Island New York. The 3700 mile round trip was an absolute pleasure. When I get my next truck I am going to do the same exact thing

View attachment 243502

View attachment 243503

View attachment 243504

Great lookin’ setup!

But...holy frikin’ wheel weights batman!!!