leveld on 35's nightmare!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z

ZAID AKREM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First thing I would do is verify the front and rear diffs are the same gear ratio. Not sure if/why it would matter in 2wd, but I was never a Ram tech. Just one thing to rule out.

Silly question, but you did verify there was gear oil in the front diff when you installed it, right? I only ask because I've seen guys install diff's only to see them hand grenade on the road test because they forgot to put oil in it.
I checked and both same ratio, also I replaced the old oil when I installed the diff in!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Your front driveshaft should spin (in sync) with your front wheels. Your ram does not have locking/unlocking hubs. It has unit hubs. The hubs spin all the time, the CV axles spin all the time, the front differential spins all the time, the front driveshaft should spin all the time.

When you put the truck in 4WD, the transfer case engages the front driveshaft, and sends power to the front wheels. When in 2WD, the front drivetrain spins freely, with no power. The fact that the driveshaft was not spinning in the beginning of the video, leads me to believe something is messed up inside the differential, or the transfer case.

In the video below, the driver has the vehicle in 2WD for the first 02:35.

^^^^:)

To say it in a different way
In normal day to day driving the front driveshaft is disconnected at the transfer case. The front front driveshaft spins because the front tires are spinning and through the front dif are connected to the driveshaft. (new Jeeps have a disconnect in the front dif that is supposed to save some mpg). When put into 4x4, the transfer case connects the front driveshaft to the transmission. Think the transfer case as a 2 speed trans (4H/4L) that is in a pseudo neutral in 2 wheel. In non-electronic transfer cases you use a lever that is engaging the connection of the transmission to the front driveshaft(2w->4w). And at times, you can actually feel the gears engaging. And when using the electronic Xfer cases, when the 4x4 light is blinking, it is trying to synchronize the gears. When they are sync'd, the light stays steady.

In your vid I noticed that it started when the wheel went from turning left abit and a kinda sharp back to straight. I might be imaginating that though.

pic is from a Jeep, could not find a Ram pic
fred.JPG

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Putting new housing when 2 have broke, and not finding out what is causing it is a waste of money
Did you check the front drive shaft and joints?

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is the diff only broken at the long side mount near the intermediate shaft end?

Not that it makes it better as the answer is still replace diff, typically on my old ifs jeep forum most front diffs grenade from either pulling in reverse (low pinion diff) or spinning/hopping and gaining traction on rock with excessive wheel speed. Either way the failure was at the ring gear and cracked the housing there.

This seems different. Would still check the ratio / oil present.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like the video is after the fact. I would do as others have suggested, leave the driveshaft off when testing the next front diff. Look for worn out/broken front suspension parts you may have missed. Is something in the front suspension rubbing/ hitting something it should not?
Has the truck been in an accident, salvage title, bent frame, etc...

If you find nothing and put in another used diff and it works okay without the driveshaft I would then be very careful before putting in the driveshaft and testing it in 4WD. You gotta go thru what you have and make sure everything that is in your trucks drive train is the correct piece for your truck. It could be someone did surgery on the transfer case and has something screwed up contributing to this problem.
When you bought used front diff did you see the tag and verify it by spinning the tire? Did you do the same for the back diff to see what you actually have?

Is there another similar truck you can look at to see if you can spot some obvious differences on yours such as front driveshaft length, pinion angle, slip yoke engagement?

Was your truck okay to begin with in 2WD and then you switched on 4WD to test it when it broke?

Good luck

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hi everybody, first post here for me, I tried everything and cant find a solution to my problem, thought I try here because I know people here have good experience, I tried 2 shops and no solution!

I bought a 2007 dodge ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 4.7 engine, when I got it, it had suspension damage, the front diff was broken from passenger side, the truck got a level kit, not sure how many inches on it, and 35 in tires, after I installed all new parts, cv axles, control arms, sway bar links, hub bearings, used front diff. now when I drive it and at a take off the truck shakes and vibrates violently, I took a video of it and as soon as I made it back, I found out that the new front diff also broke from the same location like the old one!! please see the video, thank you in advance

[/Q

Wait, wait, wait. Let me understand something.
The truck had suspension damage BEFORE you bought it, and you bought it anyway??