Leveled and CV axle went to dirt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SJ345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I have a 2019 DT Crew Ram 1500 basic 4wd. Last week I had the tire shop up the road put on a motofab level 3” Front 1.5 Rear along with an RC UCA and 285/65/20 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT tires. A couple of days ago I noticed a sort of knock or clank once when I put on brakes at a stop sign. Then I started hearing it not loud or anything every other stop. I got under it today and saw that my driver sides cv axle had slung grease everywhere. What can I do to rectify this issue? Also I was thinking of changing the front top spacer out for an RC 3.5 coil, and the only reason I went with a level that high is because I read that the factory UCAs might have failures with any level height and the RC requires 3” of lift supposedly.

Elvira

Reaction score
It sounds like the boot on your CV joint has been torn or damaged during removal for suspension change. You will have to remove and install new boot and replace grease after cleaning or replace CV half shaft. What you save in parts replacing boot will be off-set by the labour involved, so either way will be close to same price if your garage is doing the work. Obviously you can do yourself much cheaper, depends on your mechanical skill level.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hi all. I have a 2019 DT Crew Ram 1500 basic 4wd. Last week I had the tire shop up the road put on a motofab level 3” Front 1.5 Rear along with an RC UCA and 285/65/20 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT tires. A couple of days ago I noticed a sort of knock or clank once when I put on brakes at a stop sign. Then I started hearing it not loud or anything every other stop. I got under it today and saw that my driver sides cv axle had slung grease everywhere. What can I do to rectify this issue? Also I was thinking of changing the front top spacer out for an RC 3.5 coil, and the only reason I went with a level that high is because I read that the factory UCAs might have failures with any level height and the RC requires 3” of lift supposedly.
First problem you had a tire shop do the install.. Second problem you went with a puck spacer which our rams do not like. For a million reasons you can view the threads on here. 3rd problem you went with a rough country control arm. The main issue with rough country is the “first to market” plan. Most of their parts are designed on a computer the geometry is never correct. Some can get away with the imperfections some can not. You my friend are in the not group. Pull everything off do a bracket lift if you want the height or do a set of height adjustable struts. 3C47026F-A7EC-411F-BD1A-E86251471C3A.jpeg
Or put a new front diff in after you smoke the one you have now

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only place a Gen 4 diff should be is in the trash !!! .... ;) #MakeGen3diffgreatagain!

OP
OP
S

SJ345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First problem you had a tire shop do the install.. Second problem you went with a puck spacer which our rams do not like. For a million reasons you can view the threads on here. 3rd problem you went with a rough country control arm. The main issue with rough country is the “first to market” plan. Most of their parts are designed on a computer the geometry is never correct. Some can get away with the imperfections some can not. You my friend are in the not group. Pull everything off do a bracket lift if you want the height or do a set of height adjustable struts. View attachment 479723
Or put a new front diff in after you smoke the one you have now
So you wouldn’t recommend me putting in the rough country struts up front? Point me in a better direction other than American Trucks and 4WP please!

OP
OP
S

SJ345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also most of the complaints I’ve seen were on the 4th gens not the 5th.

OP
OP
S

SJ345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I haven’t driven the truck since then and I have a new cv axle on the way. I don’t intend on doing much off roading if any, I mainly did it to fit those tires. What would you all recommend to replace the UCA and front struts. I’m not worried about adjustability.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
So you wouldn’t recommend me putting in the rough country struts up front? Point me in a better direction other than American Trucks and 4WP please!
You are a member of the forum we get forum member discounts from our vendors on here that are not cookie cutter parts selectors. @Nick@GotExhaust is the go to for lifts, levels, etc.
I own a suspension shop and don’t touch rough country even if you buy it and bring it to me. I won’t put my name behind it. If it’s height you’re after a bracket lift is the way to go. If you’re just wanting to push it up a bit to look like a truck I would go the adjustable struts or coil over route

OP
OP
S

SJ345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are a member of the forum we get forum member discounts from our vendors on here that are not cookie cutter parts selectors. @Nick@GotExhaust is the go to for lifts, levels, etc.
I own a suspension shop and don’t touch rough country even if you buy it and bring it to me. I won’t put my name behind it. If it’s height you’re after a bracket lift is the way to go. If you’re just wanting to push it up a bit to look like a truck I would go the adjustable struts or coil over route
I don’t mean to sound like an idiot but what’s an example of a bracket lift?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I don’t mean to sound like an idiot but what’s an example of a bracket lift?
The brackets would re locate your control arms, front diff etc.

OP
OP
S

SJ345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The brackets would re locate your control arms, front diff etc.
I’m not sure if I found one for our trucks yet. I Don’t want to go super high. Wanted to be around 3-3.5 higher maybe

OP
OP
S

SJ345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spacer lifts are junk. So either do a proper 4" or dont do it at all

Other option is Bills 6112s with Zone UCAs
I searched through the forum and found out BDS makes a 4” kit but I don’t see it on their site. You have any other sites that you can suggest?

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spacer lifts are junk. So either do a proper 4" or dont do it at all

Other option is Bills 6112s with Zone UCAs
Curious what others have actual install experience with beside zone (you ran them awhile and still like them vs just hearing they’re good or feeling buyers validation after a recent purchase).

Was thinking about zone until seeing many reports of ball joints going early or making noise. That would drive me nuts and be my luck.