Leveling and wheel/tire info needed please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xFURIOUSJONESx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hey guys. I know there’s countless threads regarding this subject, and I’ve looks through some of them to get info, but since this is my first actual truck and I’m not as mechanically inclined or knowledgeable as most of you guys are, i wanted some more specific guidance for my truck.

I have a 2018 Ram 1500 2wd v6. I don’t do any off roading and I almost never pull/hull but want the ability to when I need. I purchased the truck because 1) I like they way they look, and 2) for the occasional hauling I do throughout the year, this truck made sense for me( loading up new furniture for a growing family...large purchases that need a truck, etc). I’m wanting it to look a bit more aggressive. My plan is to level the truck out but want to ensure I do it properly to give it a smooth ride for a truck (like the ride is now). I would like to get some Toyo Open Country A/T or A/T II’s...thinking maybe like 35” tires. Keep in mind I’ve never done any of this before so I’m almost clueless in this department. I believe the wheels and tires I have now are 275/60R20. If I’m looking for 35” tires do I need to be looking for a 275/65R20?

My diff is stock for my express. I only mention that because I’ve read it would be a good idea to upgrade those too? I don’t know

Like I mentioned, I’m pretty much a city driver but want the ability to use the truck as well...a truck lol. Just wanting to level it out and add some larger tires that look more aggressive. What should I know or expect? Rougher ride? I’m sure the Mpg will go down a little bit (20”wheels and larger/heavier tires and all). Will the truck become or feel more sluggish? Am I outta my mind? Lmao.

Chances are I’ll end up doing the level and wheels and tires all around the same time so I’m sure it will be somewhat pricey at once but I figure these type of thing go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not only is there nothing wrong with wanting to swap out tires from the OEMs, but you actually likely will need to soon, like even as soon as 10k miles, since the tires they give you from the factory are utter garbage.

With what you say you're doing, I would strongly consider a tire in the size of around a 285 (basically a 33.8"). My gas mileage went down significantly with 35s. I used to have the Duratracs in a 315, really killed my MPG. Now I'm running BFG KO2s in a 285 (about a 33.8"), it's not as bad, and they still look good, definitely meaty looking.

You'll need a level or lift with the 35s, but can get away without a lift with something like a 285 in the rubbing department, however, you still might want to get a beefier shock. Bilstein 5100s are sort of the go to best bang for the buck. I ran them on my old truck, they were awesome, HUGE upgrade for around $400-500. Only downside to the Bilsteins is you'll need to use your springs for them, they don't come as a coil over set up, so you'll need to rent a spring compressor to install them, or have them professionally installed. With shocks that come as a coil over set, such as the Foxes, you don't need a compressor, but those cost about twice as much. Not sure if there are cheaper options for a full coil over set up out of the box. In any event, there is nothing wrong with running your OEM springs coiled over your Bilsteins, I love those Bilstein 5100s, I ran them hard on my 2008, and they were just about needing to be replaced after about 65k miles, but that is in Michigan with HORRIBLE potholes, lots of washboard dirt roads, lots of wear and tear.