Leveling Kit effects on MPG for an EcoDiesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I know that everyone says putting a lift on your truck decreases the mileage you get. Which makes sense, you're changing the way the truck drives and the aerodynamics of the front end of the truck. That being said:

Has anyone put a leveling kit on an EcoDiesel and can tell me what to expect in the way of lost mileage? I'm contemplating a leveling kit but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

The following link says 1-2 MPG and that's for a Hemi, does anybody have any experience as to whether or not an EcoDiesel reacts any differently to the level? I'm assuming it does not and I'm afraid I'm asking a dumb question but I want to see what others have experienced.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/does-a-leveling-kit-hurt-your-mpg.117821/

Thank you!

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I know that everyone says putting a lift on your truck decreases the mileage you get. Which makes sense, you're changing the way the truck drives and the aerodynamics of the front end of the truck. That being said:

Has anyone put a leveling kit on an EcoDiesel and can tell me what to expect in the way of lost mileage? I'm contemplating a leveling kit but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

The following link says 1-2 MPG and that's for a Hemi, does anybody have any experience as to whether or not an EcoDiesel reacts any differently to the level? I'm assuming it does not and I'm afraid I'm asking a dumb question but I want to see what others have experienced.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/does-a-leveling-kit-hurt-your-mpg.117821/

Thank you!
I put a leveling kit on mine, however it was rather quickly right after I bought it, and the EVIC has been all over the place that unless you’re hand calcing every tank, you probably won’t notice a difference at all. The hemi seems very temperamental with any additions to it.

OP
OP
Donutsahoy

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I put a leveling kit on mine, however it was rather quickly right after I bought it, and the EVIC has been all over the place that unless you’re hand calcing every tank, you probably won’t notice a difference at all. The hemi seems very temperamental with any additions to it.

What's your EVIC average right now? I know it's very dependent on weather and fuel etc just curious. My truck HATEs short highway runs lol, 300+ miles roundtrip to Uvalde and back and that truck was happier than a lark lol.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
What's your EVIC average right now? I know it's very dependent on weather and fuel etc just curious. My truck HATEs short highway runs lol, 300+ miles roundtrip to Uvalde and back and that truck was happier than a lark lol.
my EVIC average is 23.5-25mpg, but it’s been about 5 mpgs pessimistic, and I just did an exhaust delete so I’m really hoping I broke 30mpg after this tank :headbang:

OP
OP
Donutsahoy

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yeah I'm going to hand calculate my next tank, EVIC was showing 28 at the conclusion of the trip, normally average 23-25 as well.

OP
OP
Donutsahoy

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Bed liner, and that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramaniac

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500, Laramie
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I put a level kit on mine as well. Bill's set at 2.8 in front and Top gun spacers .75 in the back but it was when the truck was almost new so I think my mileage was still going up a bit (breaking in) so I don't know for sure. I have added the GDE tune now and combined I'm getting right at 27. I have seen it higher but only got about 1500 miles since the ecm swap. I really like it !

Fred Corcoran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Are you just putting a leveling kit in or upgrading wheels and tires as well?

I added 2.1 to the front and nothing to the rear but I also put on 285/70 18's which are roughly 34" I think. Anyhow pre level my EVIC showed an average of 22 mpg after the level I went down to 18.5 mpg. I have since added the GDE and it's back to around 20-21 mpg. I usually never exceed 75mph on the freeway and while I don't baby it, I'm hardly aggressive with the throttle around town.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Donutsahoy

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just a leveling kit, I might put mild A/Ts on it at some point but I haven’t really decided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D F GA RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Did one a couple months back. Eco Diesel 4x4. Toyo A/T 35's. I would say I am averaging 20-21 city driving. Haven't done a ton of highway driving, but probably in the 23-24 range. My guess is it's taken a 3-4 MPG hit. I'll say I used to own a Ford Eco Boost 4X4 and that thing never did better than 18-19 on the highway. Was lucky to get 15-16 in town. The before and after look of the truck is night and day man...I wouldn't let a few MPG hold you back

BlkRamEco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
I thought I was an oddball with my MPG I am Leveled with 34.6 Nitto Terra Grapplers and I dont think I have ever seen over 21MPG on the Evic. hand calc has always been right on the money. I try to do my assessment at 70 MPH on level ground. My speedo is off 3 MPh so I wonder if that has anything to do with those figures. My pops has a 15 and he seems to not get less than 32MPG avg all day everyday

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My pops has a 15 and he seems to not get less than 32MPG avg all day everyday
You can get 32mpg too... Tape an egg to the accelerator pedal and don't go over 55 or 1800rpms. For added measure, use imperial gallons instead of US gallons

Doc78232

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
I put a 2in leveling kit on my 2016 about 4mos after I got it and noticed no change in my mileage. Now with 33,800 miles on the truck, I’m still averaging 22 city/hwy, hand calculated. I did notice a much bigger drop in mileage at highway speeds recently. I was getting 28.5 on the highway at 75mph, now I’m only getting 27.

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
No leveling on my 15 EC, but have a 2" front lift and a Frontier full bumper and grill guard on mine. Avg is 23-24 around town and hwy 27-29 mpg. Hope this helps a little.

04ctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 4:10
FWIW, a bed cover will usually give you back some MPG, so I would level it, then look on CL for a cover.

i got one off CL for $300, and on my gas truck, it looks like it picked up 2mpg with a hard bed cover, YMMV for the EcoD

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
MIne has a 2" leveling kit and I run a 33/12.50/20 aggressive tire. I get 20 - 24 mpg on the highway and 17 - 19 mpg here around town. I live in the hills so that does effect short trip mileage. In comparison, I got 10.5 - 11 mpg out of my HEMI truck I had with a 4" lift and 35's on it

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
4" lift with Toyo A/T's. Lost about 2mpg with the tires and 2mpg with the lift. Average about 19-20 with mixed driving, 22-23 mpg highway only. Can get it as low as 14mpg if I don't moderate pedal a little.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I've done about all you can do to screw up the MPGs.
I'm tuned, leveled, heavy grille guard, no air dam, 10 ply 85x70-17 tires, Leer shell, 300+ lbs of emergency equipment, no engine cover or foam.

Local (95% 10-15 miles trips) = 18-19 mpg
Highway (65-75mph) = 22-23 mpg
Over 75 mph and it's 20-21

I didn't drive it long enough in stock mode to do a valid comparison.

MPG is very subjective and affected by so many variables - tough to pin down. IMHO one can only rely on the averages over time.