Leveling kit or new struts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ifdduck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi everybody, I have a 2017 ram 1500 bighorn with 45k miles. It is time for new tires and I wanted to level the stance to comfortably put 33" tires on. I have been trying to do my research of kits to purchase.

Should I just do a standard block leveling kit? If so do I need to replace UCA's? some people say that it will throw the geometry of the vehicle out of wack. I know it is by far the most affordable option short term. Is ready lift the way to go?

if you suggest new UCA's what brand would be affordable, yet better than stock?

Should I spend the extra 1200 and get new struts to achieve my level? if so do UCAs need replaced? If you suggest struts what brand, fox, bilstein any others?

Money is always a concern. Thanks all for the advice.

I do some driving off road, but nothing crazy. Thanks.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my old 2016 I did a 2.5" Rough Country leveling kit. It was just the spacers, nothing else. Went 50k miles with zero issues before I traded it in for my 2021 Rebel. I know there's plenty of folks who say the leveling spacers are bad for the truck, but I had friends who did the same on their Chevy's and also had no issues for years. End of day I'm sure it isn't the best option over the lifetime of the truck, but if you aren't doing any off roading or anything like that I wouldn't worry about it. Plus it doesn't void your warranty. You'd think if it were really THAT bad for the truck, it would void the warranty immediately when installed. All in all for parts, install and alignment it cost me under $300 and like I said no issues for 50k miles. Had I kept the truck for another 50k who knows, maybe something would have worn out and needed replacing, but guess I will never know.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spacers/blocks are never a good idea for the front of these trucks. An adjustable strut is the best way to level them. The most cost effective way is the Bilstein 5100's, this will give you perch settings that will allow for different heights all the way up to 2.8" of lift. In my opinion any amount of lift over 2" in the front it is recommended to do aftermarket UCA's. For UCA's we highly recommend the Zone UCA's. They are very strong and are angle correcting so they will get your front geometry back where it should be after lifting the front to level it.

message me if you would like a quote on anything.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did fox coils, better ride then stock. Yes they are more but fully built so no compressing springs to swap parts. There is a brand new set in the for sale section.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just an FYI, you are in a 5th Gen forum . . . Might get more help in the 4th Gen section

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 on what Nick said. Bil 5100s are an excellent budget option without the problems associated with spacers. He has good prices when in stock. One thing to consider if you go the Bilstein route is the height setting. Most people want the highest lift/level possible BUT the 4th gens have a high hood and the 2.8 setting may give your truck a nose high look, the rake will be gone but that big hood will look nose up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye