Leveling with Bilsteins, or Rancho QuickLift Struts

Bilstein 5100's with factory parts, or Rancho Loaded QuickLifts

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jshak07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are these the right UCA’s to go with the Bilsteins? Just want to verify before I pull the trigger.
Thanks fellas.

DF4E6E68-E5F2-45B5-9C0A-91C389939018.png

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're going 2.8" get ucas with an offset. That’s how you do it in ANY ifs lift between 2-3”. Up to you to do them at 2", but definetely better idea at 2.8"
RC ucas are like $299 and I guess you can get a discount from our vendor Nick. Next in price after those i think are the Readylift. Better options than Mevotechs unless you were simply looking to replace stockers wth stockers. That goes well with the rear control arms, but for the front ? Some people are just too cheap sometimes :)

If you're looking to keep things in the 2" level, asides from 5100, Eibach and Rancho, RC is now advertising 2” leveling N3 struts with or without springs. With springs they’re going to be plug and play like the Ranchos. Not bad to have more options as competition is always good.

https://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-leveling-struts-500028.html?find=2014-dodge-ram-1500-4wd-374169

snoty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're going 2.8" get ucas with an offset. That’s how you do it in ANY ifs lift between 2-3"....

Why is that "how you do it?" It seems to be a bunch of hearsay with no actual facts since the 5100s don't change the bj angle. Has anyone has any uca/bj issues with the only suspension upgrade being setting the 5100s to 2"+? Aren't the Mevotechs just an oem alternative, not specific to any lift/level?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

E-rok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why is that "how you do it?" It seems to be a bunch of hearsay with no actual facts since the 5100s don't change the bj angle. Has anyone has any uca/bj issues with the only suspension upgrade being setting the 5100s to 2"+? Aren't the Mevotechs just an oem alternative, not specific to any lift/level?

How do bilsteins not change the balljoint angle? Raise the front of your truck 2.8" with a floor jack, the geometry is exactly the same as any other method to acheive the same lift. Its simple geometry, you cant magically raise the suspension without changing the geometry.

Btw I am talking about at static height, not full droop as from what I understand, full droop with 5100s is the same as stock but spacers push it down more.

All I know is, at 2.8" I decided to add RC UCAs and the ball joint angle is perfect and as I would imagine, was easier to align.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You tend to lose caster and camber after lift, it's just the nature of the beast. Also the BJ doesn't have the same range of movement after lift with factory arms. Most aftermarket ucas have a built-in offset to compesate for all this. That's not hearsay that's just what happens when you lift without a bracket lift that relocate your control arms, drop diff etc etc. You may not need to change your UCA's at 2", but all the camber/caster and bj range of movement will be there with the ones built in with the offset. If you think Mevotech will be good for 2" then the stockers should be good for the same amount as they're the same thing (Mevo have greasable zerks and the frame seem stronger but they have the same geometry) so you can save $100 right there. If the stockers are good and you're happy with how the truck drives then keep them until you need to replace them.

All of the aftermarket UCA's should work with any lift between 2-3". That's why the aftermarket build them for many applications within this range. All based on the same/similar principles. Yes you can lift with stock UCA's, things will work way better with aftermarket ones made for 2-3" lift, that's not hearsay it's simple physics.

Check out this video for better visuals

Last edited:

ryepsboe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
rough country states there control arms are 2012+

why would that be? can anyone approve or deny that?

I have a 2011

EcoDzl_Ed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I really dont know what the benefit if the ranchos is aside from ease of installation. Im sure the OEM springs are superior, and I would go with Bilsteins all day over any other cheaper shocks.

I have Bils at 2.8, but I also added Rough Country UCAs to correct ball joint angle, and I added airlift airbags in the rear which give me an inch or so of boost in the rear at 15psi.

Ive ran alot of trucks but this setup rides very nice. A pic for rererence, I still have a little rake.

View attachment 183675

@E-rok What brand/size are your tires? They look great.