Leveling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I don't know if I'd spend that much on a truck that I don't own. Sure, if you plan to purchase at the end, but the 2 key words here are IF and PLAN.

But there seems to be mixed emotions on using pucks. What are the downsides of using pucks?
Really nothing. Maybe if you intend to do serious off-roading you should consider full struts. They say the pucks can damage the control arms if they are too big...but if it's 2.5" or less it's not an issue (I went with 2" spacers just to be sure). Of the people who have leveled trucks, probably at least half are running spacers and have no issues.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Really nothing. Maybe if you intend to do serious off-roading you should consider full struts. They say the pucks can damage the control arms if they are too big...but if it's 2.5" or less it's not an issue (I went with 2" spacers just to be sure). Of the people who have leveled trucks, probably at least half are running spacers and have no issues.
I own the only Ram suspension shop on the east coast. Believe me when I say spacers are a cheap way to level your truck. But they will cost more money and aggravation later when they wipe out other components. You also loose the opposite down travel. So if you go up 2” you loose 2” of down travel.
Spacers on a solid axle truck are not horrible but an ifs truck like our 1500’s pucks are NOT OK ever.
If you click on the search bar for spacers you will find a weeks worth of good reading on the topic. We are here to educate and help each other. That’s what forums are for

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I own the only Ram suspension shop on the east coast. Believe me when I say spacers are a cheap way to level your truck. But they will cost more money and aggravation later when they wipe out other components. You also loose the opposite down travel. So if you go up 2” you loose 2” of down travel.
Spacers on a solid axle truck are not horrible but an ifs truck like our 1500’s pucks are NOT OK ever.
If you click on the search bar for spacers you will find a weeks worth of good reading on the topic. We are here to educate and help each other. That’s what forums are for
I read a lot of all that and made a decision to just go with the pucks. My truck is a 4X2 highway queen. It will likely never go off-road. If I was planning on using this truck for offroad adventures, I'd definitely get struts. I don't want to start a feud or question your experience...but there are literally thousands of people running simple spacers with no problems. Probably half the people with levels use spacers.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I read a lot of all that and made a decision to just go with the pucks. My truck is a 4X2 highway queen. It will likely never go off-road. If I was planning on using this truck for offroad adventures, I'd definitely get struts. I don't want to start a feud or question your experience...but there are literally thousands of people running simple spacers with no problems. Probably half the people with levels use spacers.
A 2wd 4th gen is a completely different animal. Ram didn’t start using struts in the 2wd trucks until the DT body style. So a spacer on a coil with no CV axles to contend with is a lot easier to get away with. I’m just clearing the air not attacking you. On the 4wd trucks pucks on top of struts will cost you more money in the long run.
Everything costs more the 2nd time you do it. And yes there are a lot of people learning that every day. I’m the one handing them the bill

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I think I’m going to go with the coil and strut for a 2 inch level and run 285/60/20 should give it a nice look over stock??? Opinions?
Yes a 285/60/20 is definitely better than stock. That's a 33.5" tire. The stock 31" tires never look right, even without a level. Might want to consider a 285/65 tire...that's around 34.5". 33-34" looks to be the sweet spot in my opinion for a basic level.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I think I’m going to go with the coil and strut for a 2 inch level and run 285/60/20 should give it a nice look over stock??? Opinions?
I’ll have a picture next week of that set up. Same tire size with Bilsteins set at 2.1”

OP
OP
B

Btimmy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes a 285/60/20 is definitely better than stock. That's a 33.5" tire. The stock 31" tires never look right, even without a level. Might want to consider a 285/65 tire...that's around 34.5". 33-34" looks to be the sweet spot in my opinion for a basic level.
Thanks !

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
For comparison, here's a 2" level on 275/60/20 (33") tires.

279648253_10224540732778698_7156954080164961784_n.jpg
Leveled Ram.jpg