Levelling or 3” lift that rides as close to stock as possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Yeah that’s pretty much what I’d like there
Ok so given you want to spend the extra money on the Bilstein 6112’s tells me that you have ride quality in mind. I would do a Zone 6” lift with 3” rear coils. @Nick@GotExhaust can set you up with the parts so I’m listing them for reference and not confusion.
Hear me out. Zone 6” lift with Bilstein 6112’s set to 0 with no preload spacer. Will net you 5” of lift in the front. Bringing up the rear 3” should leave you at a perfect 1” rake making you appear dead level. If you ask Nick for the quick_shifter package he will include the extended braided brake lines. You will not need the Zone UCA’s right away to save some coin but I would put them on the “want” list. Your stance will look like this with factory wheels. And your Ride will be much nicer than the readylift kit. 14E31AE6-7BD5-4148-80CD-2E55A14DB9E0.jpegThis is @RJL1 truck he has been stance pictures
Keep in mind this picture is fresh off the lift so it’s up about 1 1/2” the suspension settles on all vehicles when then come down from a lift

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
838DF950-07B4-454E-8A69-BC74C8A05393.jpegBlack Truck has a Rough Country lift in for repair (go figure) the Blue Truck is a Zone full 6” with 5” rear. So you can see the difference.The blue truck has bigger tires on it too. Zone is a very mild clean bracket lift

OP
OP
E

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Those are nice, but I cannot do a 6” lift, my truck roof sits 6-6.5” from the garage door opening, so a 4” lift is the absolute max I can do on the truck.

Currently the fenders sit about 36.25” to 36.5” in front, and about 38.75 to 39” in the rear. My garage is flat but I doubt it’s level lol …

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Those are nice, but I cannot do a 6” lift, my truck roof sits 6-6.5” from the garage door opening, so a 4” lift is the absolute max I can do on the truck.

Currently the fenders sit about 36.25” to 36.5” in front, and about 38.75 to 39” in the rear. My garage is flat but I doubt it’s level lol …
Oh yeah you did say that. So skip all your Ideas then. Run your Bilstein 6112’s at max. Paired with icon progressive rear spring and fox 2.0’s
Because when you go with bigger tires you’re going to go up another 2”. So that will squeak you in your garage.

Give me a minute and I’ll put together a parts list to look at

OP
OP
E

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Oh yeah you did say that. So skip all your Ideas then. Run your Bilstein 6112’s at max. Paired with icon progressive rear spring and fox 2.0’s
Because when you go with bigger tires you’re going to go up another 2”. So that will squeak you in your garage.

Give me a minute and I’ll put together a parts list to look at
I’m willing to bet anything ‘fox’ is going to be out of my price range and blow my plans out of the water lol … or … delay this by like 2 years to save up lol

But I’ll check out your list and recommendations …. Maybe it could work

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I’m willing to bet anything ‘fox’ is going to be out of my price range and blow my plans out of the water lol … or … delay this by like 2 years to save up lol

But I’ll check out your list and recommendations …. Maybe it could work
ima surprise you and then Nick is going to floor you. But I dont know what duty fee's will be?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Bilstein 6112's: Part #47-242548 Set @ notch #7 2.4" (updated part # 47-311015) The new part # may effect the notch setting
Icon Rear Coils: Part# 212150
Fox 2.0 Shocks: Part# 985-24-032
Base Kit: I would run a nice 34" tire with this set up.

Since you'll have Monies left over because you have already sold yourself the readylift kit, I would add

Suspension Maxx Swaybar endlinks Part# SMX-1300L
Zone UCA's: Part# Zond2301

Now take your extra cash and order a nice set of wheels and tires ;)

I listed part numbers so its not vague and you can look up each part individually and do your own research. The Fox 2.0's compliment the bilstein 6112's better than any bilstein. The icons give an extra 1/2" over the bilstein coils and are dual rate for a little added luxury (Because I can tell you will like the smooth ride)

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@El_Lobo_Gris1500C
Another great Kit that is a little more height with a budget friendly price tag is the Eibach Pro Truck part# e80-27-001-04-22
The ride is not as plush as the 6112's but the availability is better and the height can get you 3 1/2" (Which I would not recommend) I recommend running them @ 2 3/4" using the eibach springs and pairing them with zone UCA's. I like to do a taller rear spring when doing the eibach at 3 1/2

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I’m pretty sure @Nick@GotExhaust can ship to Canada but you’ll have to check with him. He can put all the right parts together and take the guess work out of it. Which is a really nice feature especially dealing with websites that use different part numbers for the same parts

cashman070

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Can you post a picture of your truck and your measurements? We can certainly get you dialed in. Their are plenty of options out there
Truck.jpgTruck front.jpgTruck rear.jpg

Measurements:
Left Front: 39 3/4"
Left Rear: 39 3/4"
Right Front: 40"
Right Rear: 40 3/8"

***tried to get truck as level as possible in parking lot so may be no exactly level hence the discrepancy between left and right side***

Tires are Toyo Open Country ATII LT295/65/R20 on stock rims (3/8 wheel spacer as too close to the UCA - Mevotech UCA - couldn't afford the Zone UCA at the time)

getting rid of the running boards going to AMP Extreme Power Boards - just waiting for delivery.

Thanks for the assistance

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
View attachment 481728View attachment 481729View attachment 481730

Measurements:
Left Front: 39 3/4"
Left Rear: 39 3/4"
Right Front: 40"
Right Rear: 40 3/8"

***tried to get truck as level as possible in parking lot so may be no exactly level hence the discrepancy between left and right side***

Tires are Toyo Open Country ATII LT295/65/R20 on stock rims (3/8 wheel spacer as too close to the UCA - Mevotech UCA - couldn't afford the Zone UCA at the time)

getting rid of the running boards going to AMP Extreme Power Boards - just waiting for delivery.

Thanks for the assistance
Good choice of Tire!!

I would recommend the Tuf Truck

TTC-1223VT​

They will give you another 1.5” dual rate and less squat. They should still work with your Bilsteins in the rear so I don’t see having to get new shocks. Thuren makes a nice track bar bracket but it’s not a mandatory part and can be added later if your axle becomes off center after the springs (unlikely)

You’ll be sitting with roughly a 2” rake which will clean up your stance and when hauling something you won’t look like you’re struggling.

John Chappell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back in my Jeeping days (owned 6 in total) I built for capability with as little highway compromise as possible. “LCG” (low center of gravity) is a key piece of that equation. This nets better control off road as well. I cut down my plastic fenders and added a 1.5” lift to fit 35x12.5s while maintaining LCG. The extra 3” of track width improved handling in general. It was still very close to stock which is something that will save money and headaches down the road. All this came at the expense of gas mileage, 5mpg overall.

Capability is the only reason to lift a vehicle … unless you’re building a parking lot queen.

cashman070

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good choice of Tire!!

I would recommend the Tuf Truck

TTC-1223VT​

They will give you another 1.5” dual rate and less squat. They should still work with your Bilsteins in the rear so I don’t see having to get new shocks. Thuren makes a nice track bar bracket but it’s not a mandatory part and can be added later if your axle becomes off center after the springs (unlikely)

You’ll be sitting with roughly a 2” rake which will clean up your stance and when hauling something you won’t look like you’re struggling.
Thanks Quick_Shifter for the help I will order those!!

cashman070

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reach out to @Nick@GotExhaust and use your forum member discount. He can get just about anything and the customer service is truly next level
Just a quick follow up - for @El_Lobo_Gris1500C you suggested the Icon Rear Coils Part# 212150 - it seems were are doing the similar thing - how do these compare to the Tuftruck TTC-1223VT? Is one better than the other?

Online price for Icon is $400 - for Tuftruck $235.

I will reach out to Nick@GotExhaust.

Thanks

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a quick follow up - for @El_Lobo_Gris1500C you suggested the Icon Rear Coils Part# 212150 - it seems were are doing the similar thing - how do these compare to the Tuftruck TTC-1223VT? Is one better than the other?

Online price for Icon is $400 - for Tuftruck $235.

I will reach out to Nick@GotExhaust.

Thanks

Those 2 rear coils do 2 different tasks. The tuftruck coils are a higher spring rate that is made for handling more tow/haul weight. Tufftruck states, "Note: Recommended for vehicles with a constant minimum load of 500lb." Think of putting a 2500 spring on your 1500. The ICON coils not only offer lift but also offer better/smoother ride on and off road but would squat more than the tufftruck coils if you plan to tow/haul heavy.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Those 2 rear coils do 2 different tasks. The tuftruck coils are a higher spring rate that is made for handling more tow/haul weight. Tufftruck states, "Note: Recommended for vehicles with a constant minimum load of 500lb." Think of putting a 2500 spring on your 1500. The ICON coils not only offer lift but also offer better/smoother ride on and off road but would squat more than the tufftruck coils if you plan to tow/haul heavy.
I wouldn't put the Tufftruck on the 1500s , you will have to always have tons of weight on the bed for it to even feel like OEM lol, so you would actually be making your rear stiffer and a very rough ride ...

stephencs601

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 2500
Engine
I am not a fan of lifting a truck.

What I have done is to have springs specifically made for an application.

I have a 2018 2500 diesel megacab limited. We tow a travel trailer with a tongue weight of 1000lbs

The back sits so much higher than the front on this truck, which makes it difficult to access the bed. What I do is lower the back at least two inches by designing rear springs. They drop the truck and also only drops to a level position when towing. I find the truck handle better and I don’t have that body roll when turning.

The trick is to have the springs made to your application and needs. Raiding a vehicle makes it harder to enter and exit and I am not sure if raising it up hurts the stability since I have never done that. Since I race turbo cars, the lower to the ground the faster I can go, along with a proper suspension.

Just my thoughts.

Hemi Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4
Engine
I’m going to throw out what I have done if it helps anyone. I have a 16 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4.
I wanted to go with a slightly taller than factory tire and level the truck. I ended up with a Falcon AT3W in a 285/65R20 which is roughly 34.5” tall. This is an E rated tire so it adds some harshness to the ride all by itself. I run them around 38 psi and that seems like a good sweet spot between removing the harshness and not flushing away my MPG. I then went with Bilstein front 5100s set at 2.8” and a 1” Bilstein rear coil with matching rear 5100 shocks. Just to note.. I do also have Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus rear air helper springs but only keep the minimum 5lbs in them unless I’m towing. I never noticed any change in my ride with those. The ride with the Bilstein 5100 struts at 2.8”… Rough! Square edged bumps were very harsh. Around town driving was noticeably worse. The trucks very plush ride was gone. Handling was fine and on the highway is where I felt they shined but I was not satisfied with them around town. I drove the truck like this for 6-8 months.
I decided to upgrade the truck a little further to see if I could improve in the ride. In the front I went with the Bilstein 6112 struts and a set of ICON upper control arms and some new Mevotech sway bar endlinks just for the heck of it. In the back I left the shocks and 1” Bilstein coils alone but added some Core 4x4 Tier 3 control arms and adjustable track bar. I also added a Hellwig rear sway bar along with some new Mevotech sway bar links. The sway bar was strictly an upgrade for towing. We will see how that works out in the future.
The ride in the rear was fine previously. To be honest, I only added the rear control arms and track bar because I was bored and had some $$$ burning a hole in my pocket. I’m a Jeep guy and I used a set on my Jeep build and noticed on their website they sold sets for RAMs and yup… I purchased a set.
The front with the 6112 struts still set at 2.8” is a NIGHT & DAY difference!! So much happier with the ride. The harshness is gone and the around town ride is much improved. It’s not soft…. But it’s never harsh. The highway ride is still very good and handling is fantastic. I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. my only gripe is with the ICON control arms. The bushings are polyurethane. They tend to transfer a little more noise into the cab. Smooth roads you don’t notice a difference but potholes and bumpy roads the bumps send more noise into the cab. In the long run maybe I’ll replace them with something else. But for now I’m very happy with the much improved ride.

Attachments

• 90146857-27C2-49B7-9BA4-83D5B1A44AB3.jpeg
    90146857-27C2-49B7-9BA4-83D5B1A44AB3.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 1B90379A-F96C-41E8-BE1B-877AEDC5BF18.jpeg
    1B90379A-F96C-41E8-BE1B-877AEDC5BF18.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 267B243B-5E9E-414F-88DA-B2F0AC9E059E.jpeg
    267B243B-5E9E-414F-88DA-B2F0AC9E059E.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 48
  • E677ADAB-A826-4995-9232-58139F90CDC2.jpeg
    E677ADAB-A826-4995-9232-58139F90CDC2.jpeg