Lifetime powertrain warranty repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Anybody have to utilize the lifetime powertrain warranty coverage for repairs before, and if so did it go smoothly?
Curious because our 2008 has the coverage and it is burning or losing a quite a bit of oil, every few fill ups it ends up at the low fill line and have to top it off. Planning on bringing it in in December since we won't need the truck for a month. Just wondering what to expect when I drop it off.
Thanks.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with it personally but I know for a fact that for it to still be active you would have needed to take it in for a dealer inspection every 5 years within a specified window so hopefully you've kept up with that through the years. Let us know how it goes.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exactly what tidefan said.

1. You have to be the original owner. The warranty does not transfer to the second owner.
2. You have to have a powertrain inspection every 5 years from the date of purchase. The inspection has to be within 60 days of the date of purchase.

I bought my 2008 brand new. In 2013, I called my dealership and told them I was ready to schedule my powertrain inspection. They had no idea what I was talking about. I had to show them the section in my owners manual, and at the end of the inspection, they signed and dated the manual. Unfortunately, 2018 rolled around, I got busy with work, and missed my 60 day window. So, my lifetime powertrain warranty is now, null and void. :(

JohnMcD348

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got lucky with mine and they reinstated it. I called, many months later than needed to have mine done after I saw mine was discontinued. I called to find out and they said I missed my 60 day window. I was able to show where the dealership had my truck in for service during that time frame. They did the oil/filter/tire rotation, performed a recall service, yet didn't do the 5 year exam. I went back to the dealership and had a sit down with the Owner and they decided to "back Date" the 5 Year checkup and got my warranty reinitialized.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Bumping this back up, the truck is being dropped off on Friday.

Yep, the warranty is still valid. Had the inspection done within the time frame.

I will update this post with how it goes.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Update:

Pay for an oil change and PCV valve as required to start the consumption test, tells me I have to drive 1000 miles which I expected. I ask what they are looking for as far as specs and he said they will only replace if it is burning more than a quart in 750 miles. That is the in spec consumption rate for a truck over 50,000 miles - 1 quart in 750 miles. What a joke, at that rate you'd be out of oil before the oil change is required. Apparently that is okay! I know it isn't burning that, so no engine repair for me. Wish they would have told me that whenever I asked when scheduling with the dealership.

Also, I noticed they put a synthetic blend oil in it. I generally use fully synthetic oil in it. Is there a benefit to switching to synthetic blend oils in these trucks? Truck has 101K on the clock.

Thanks!

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

Pay for an oil change and PCV valve as required to start the consumption test, tells me I have to drive 1000 miles which I expected. I ask what they are looking for as far as specs and he said they will only replace if it is burning more than a quart in 750 miles. That is the in spec consumption rate for a truck over 50,000 miles - 1 quart in 750 miles. What a joke, at that rate you'd be out of oil before the oil change is required. Apparently that is okay! I know it isn't burning that, so no engine repair for me. Wish they would have told me that whenever I asked when scheduling with the dealership.

Also, I noticed they put a synthetic blend oil in it. I generally use fully synthetic oil in it. Is there a benefit to switching to synthetic blend oils in these trucks? Truck has 101K on the clock.

Thanks!
No benefit since there are really no hard rules on exactly how much synthetic has to be in it to call it semi-synthetic. IMHO you would be better off switching to a high mileage oil. I would probably try some Mobil 1 high-mileage 5W30 if it was mine and see if it helps with your oil consumption just be sure give it some time to work. I probably would run it for like 5K miles before passing judgement.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 1 quart per 750/1000 miles has been Mopar's rule for above normal oil consumption clear back into the 80's, even on new vehicles.

If it's not leaking it, then it has to be burning it.

Leaking is easy to see, burning is usually valve seals or rings but could be PCV.

Catch can would rule out or confirm PCV system. If it is possible to put a catch can on a 4.7.

Valve seals would not be unheard of on an 11 year old motor and can often be seen by having a blue haze/smoke on cold startup. Often but not always. Often can smell it at startup too, if you know what to smell for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Don't drive the truck much and hit 1000 miles today.
The oil level has dropped about 1/8" in 1000 miles on the dip stick. So either using synthetic blend helped, or the PCV valve helped. Either way at this rate, I shouldn't have to top off the oil constantly.
They put Pennzoil Gold in it, which I can't find locally anywhere. I'm going to switch to a high mileage oil on the next oil change.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if you daily your truck you would have to be dumping a quart of oil in it every 2 weeks before they would consider it excessive. That’s nuts.

Lifetime warranty stuff is a nice thought but it’s just a selling point. Made to make people buy your stuff thinking it’s lifetime warrantied. Most of the time there are so many stipulations and so much fine print, they end up really covering nothing.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
High mileage oil can help as it has additives to swell or soften seals.

I also used to put a teaspoon of brake fluid into the oil after an oil change to soften/swell seals years ago.

Also, some oils tend to burn more than others, so don't be afraid to try a different oil if one doesn't work for you.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just going to back of my Harley days. When people would switch over to full synth on the new (at the time) EVO motors, they would leak because (as told to me) that the synth molecules were smaller and get through the seals and such.