Lift kit VS height adjustable shocks: better for off road?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey there, I need some educated advice!

Want to raise my truck up a few inches. Yes, this is partially for looks, but I use my truck to access trailheads/hunting in my area (rural western mountain town) and the roads are rocky and sometimes have deep holes. Decent clearance, 4wd and an LSD rear end are pretty much mandatory to get anywhere cool around here.

I had a good plan:
-Bilstein 6112 in front raised at 2.6" (would consider 2.2" but want max lift)
-Aftermarket balljoint UCA (Readylift? Zone? Icon?)
-Rear shocks with 1-3" more travel (Bilstein 5100? Fox? Icon?)
-Either 1.5" rear coil spacers...or 1.5" longer rear coils

But after adding all that $ up, I could get a 4" full on suspension lift kit for about the same price from reputable companies (BDS, Zone, Readylift, etc). The issue there is I don't get new shocks, just all the fancy BS to correct for geometry. That said, I think the current shocks ride well. Also, 4" is maybe more than I need.

My first plan is cool because I get shocks, can mix/match/choose stuff for a "custom" feel, and do the front and rear at different times to split the cost.

So, in your opinion which is a better system for a daily driver that also gets used off road, from wide washboard river roads, to rocky desert mountain access roads, etc: A lift kit with stock shocks...or...piecing together quality components, but not "correcting" geometry? Goals are better articulation, clearance, handling bumps, but also durability/not worrying if I hit a hidden dip or rock going a little too fast. Ease of install (will do myself with a friend to save $) is a consideration too.

PS: I have 33" Toyo AT tires, and don't intend to get anything too much bigger in the future, so the lift isn't about getting bigger tires, although I may consider 34" with a more aggressive tread after these die.

PPS: Thoughts on rear coil spacers vs coils for off road handling? Spacers are WAY cheaper...

Thanks! I've read just about every thread specific to the individual components mentioned, but I don't know much about full lift "kits."

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I started with Billies (5100), as I have an extreme factory 3" rake. Later added a Zone 4/3 + Zone UCAs. Then I went to Zone 6/3, swapped the Billies (5100 for 6112) and went with Zone Nitro shocks. Later, I added beefy bumpers and moved to 37s. I turned the Zone 6/3 to a Zone 6/5, kept the Zone UCAs and Billie 6112s and added Fox 2.0 shocks. My response really yields this advice:

You cannot go wrong with Bilstein struts and they will accommodate your lift journey throughout ownership. But consider getting the 6" lift from the start -- don't go 4" . You can start with the struts and then move up to your lift and adjust the struts. In the end, I paid twice as much to get where I am today: 6'5 Zone, Zone UCAs, Zone 5" rear coils and Fox 2.0 shocks with 37x12.5" Ridge Grapplers, 20x10 -24 Fuel Mavericks. I also run 4.56s and have a Trutrac LSD.

Bishop is beautiful. I used to fish Owens river when I lived in SoCal.

Here is my dirty beauty in dire need of a bath.

Good luck to ya!

fullsizeoutput_239b.jpeg

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started with Billies (5100), as I have an extreme factory 3" rake. Later added a Zone 4/3 + Zone UCAs. Then I went to Zone 6/3, swapped the Billies (5100 for 6112) and went with Zone Nitro shocks. Later, I added beefy bumpers and moved to 37s. I turned the Zone 6/3 to a Zone 6/5, kept the Zone UCAs and Billie 6112s and added Fox 2.0 shocks. My response really yields this advice:

You cannot go wrong with Bilstein struts and they will accommodate your lift journey throughout ownership. But consider getting the 6" lift from the start -- don't go 4" . You can start with the struts and then move up to your lift and adjust the struts. In the end, I paid twice as much to get where I am today: 6'5 Zone, Zone UCAs, Zone 5" rear coils and Fox 2.0 shocks with 37x12.5" Ridge Grapplers, 20x10 -24 Fuel Mavericks. I also run 4.56s and have a Trutrac LSD.

Here is my dirty beauty in dire need of a bath.

Good luck to ya!

View attachment 146857
I have been looking at going lifted, and have been considering what OP is considering also and am curious why you would not recommend 4" lift kit as it seems to accommodate the needs?

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I have been looking at going lifted, and have been considering what OP is considering also and am curious why you would not recommend 4" lift kit as it seems to accommodate the needs?
Fair question. Many of us who have gone this route end up kicking ourselves for not simply going 6" up front, as the cost is not much more.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lifted struts actually give you more front clearance over just a lift kit as the lift drops the diff to keep factory angles where the struts actually push the tires down slightly more than factory. In your position are you going to want 35s for increased clearance as well? If so a lift will better accommodate 35s and you can use a lift kit with lifted struts for the best of both worlds. I’m planning a 4/3 zone kit with lifted struts at 2” for a 6” total lift as I just want 35s. I’m not looking for the tallest truck out there but something reasonable as well as capable

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for all the replies!

To answer some questions, its much less about the lift, and more about the durability and performance off road...something that can handle bumps and ruts and rocks and washboard at speed and keep good articulation through loose dirt holes...without increasing undue wear and tear on components.

YES, I do want a few inches more clearance to go over rocks, but 2.5-3" is adequate (I have a 2.5 inch strut spacer now). And 33" tires are great for MPG, and torque to wheels (I have the 3.92 rear end) and don't see myself getting over 34" for at least a few years...

I'm leaning toward the initial plan, but thought I'd get more opinions because I don't know much about lift kits, and found the prices to be comparable.

Yea, love it here. Been my home for over 15 years now.

I also head to Death Valley a half dozen times per year for LONG desert rocky washboard roads and short steep mining road exploring. SO much distance to cover out there, it's tempting to step on the gas...then POW you hit whoops or really rough terrain in a blink of an eye and get jostled around before you can slow down. Need the best setup for that kinda stuff....

IMG_20180515_175128_264.jpg
IMG_20180519_100149_453.jpg
IMG_20180512_222343_867.jpg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like you have some great areas to 4 wheel. The toughest part of your decision is the fact that you seem to 4 wheel low speed and high speed types of terrain. So it seems you do need lift but if you want to also be better with the high speed areas you are going to want better components, namely coil overs with bigger shocks with better valving. Lifts are a great way to get better clearance but most lifts do not offer shocks and coils that will handle any high speed whoops. Other than clearance they dont offer you much off road. Shocks and coils are going to be what gives you the better ride and handling off road and eat up the whoops.

I am sure there is a budget involved so here is my suggestion. Lets get you set up with a lift at the height you are looking to obtain using a real lift not spacers. Then save up some money and we can get you set up with better shocks and coils. Measure the shocks that come with the lift and write it down somewhere safe. then when its time we can talk to Icon or Thuren with his Kings and get you a shock setup that will soak up anything you throw at it! This will get you the best of both worlds.

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fair question. Many of us who have gone this route end up kicking ourselves for not simply going 6" up front, as the cost is not much more.
That seems reasonable. I did look at the cost difference and it is not much. Though, unlike the OP, I was unaware of the gear ratio and the effect it had and bought a truck with 3.21s and not the 3.92. :( So a 6 inch may be too much.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
That seems reasonable. I did look at the cost difference and it is not much. Though, unlike the OP, I was unaware of the gear ratio and the effect it had and bought a truck with 3.21s and not the 3.92. :( So a 6 inch may be too much.
Unaware of a 6" lift impacting G/R but certainly tire size does.

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unaware of a 6" lift impacting G/R but certainly tire size does.
Ah, must be the bigger tires associated with the lift that causes the concerns. I have 33" tires on there now, but feel that would look silly on a big lift like 6".

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't over think too much, Icon Stage 3 with your choice of UCA, set the front at 2.5
Thanks for all the replies!

To answer some questions, its much less about the lift, and more about the durability and performance off road...something that can handle bumps and ruts and rocks and washboard at speed and keep good articulation through loose dirt holes...without increasing undue wear and tear on components.

YES, I do want a few inches more clearance to go over rocks, but 2.5-3" is adequate (I have a 2.5 inch strut spacer now). And 33" tires are great for MPG, and torque to wheels (I have the 3.92 rear end) and don't see myself getting over 34" for at least a few years...

I'm leaning toward the initial plan, but thought I'd get more opinions because I don't know much about lift kits, and found the prices to be comparable.

Yea, love it here. Been my home for over 15 years now.

I also head to Death Valley a half dozen times per year for LONG desert rocky washboard roads and short steep mining road exploring. SO much distance to cover out there, it's tempting to step on the gas...then POW you hit whoops or really rough terrain in a blink of an eye and get jostled around before you can slow down. Need the best setup for that kinda stuff....

View attachment 146914
View attachment 146915
View attachment 146916

I think I have given you the coilovers speech before :), don’t over think too much, get the Icon Stage 3 and your choice of UCA (Zone, BDS, Readylift, or even better, Total Chaos or Icon), set the front coilovers at 2.25 or 2.5”, ask the alignment shop for 5* caster, get 35’s under there and enjoy, if you want more clearance later on, ditch the front bumper and replace it with a prerunner style, then get 37’s.

I’m in SoCal, and I do a lot of offroad, don’t over think too much, leave the monster truck look for the 2500’s, Get the IFS what it wants to enjoy the California offroad landscape, toss the coilover setup around one corner on the dirt and you’ll never look back again, I promise you is that simple, I’m going the same route myself, I just haven’t decided, Radflo or Icon.

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think I have given you the coilovers speech before :), don’t over think too much, get the Icon Stage 3 and your choice of UCA (Zone, BDS, Readylift, or even better, Total Chaos or Icon), set the front coilovers at 2.25 or 2.5”, ask the alignment shop for 5* caster, get 35’s under there and enjoy, if you want more clearance later on, ditch the front bumper and replace it with a prerunner style, then get 37’s.

Ha, yes you have.

I have been thinking going this route since the beginning, and like all this advice...except for the Icon Stage 3! I mean, don't get me wrong, I like the icon, but holy cow, so expensive. I think I can get the bilstein 6112 to do some great work for me up front for a lot le$$...and have a similar set up in the end. Hmmmm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ha, yes you have.

I have been thinking going this route since the beginning, and like all this advice...except for the Icon Stage 3! I mean, don't get me wrong, I like the icon, but holy cow, so expensive. I think I can get the bilstein 6112 to do some great work for me up front for a lot le$$...and have a similar set up in the end. Hmmmm

Lol, i know it's expensive, my setup with Radflo will be around $2300 with res front and rear, that's the cheapest i've found them online, i already have the Zone UCA's, and the Icon 1.5" springs, though i wish i've gone with Total Chaos UCA right from the start, oh well, Zones are still new so what that heck ..

If you go with 6112's, check the 2.75" spring from Eibach with the 6112's at 0" lift, i think that will be a solid setup for a full size pickup truck that will see some spirited bashing ocasionally, and at half price than 2.5 coilovers, they're also rebuildable,so that's another plus, for the back i'll go Icon 2.0's, they're diggresive like the 6112's, so they should match well, they're built better than the 5100 series from Bilstein, and they can be rebuilt as well.

Have fun.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here you have the Icon 2.0's with reservoir for the 4th gen RAM 1500, Icon 216524R, i'll call Icon tomorrow and see if can get the extended/compressed specs for you.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Out of curiosity is their a reason no one seems to recommend Falcon shocks ? I seen a lot of You tube videos which makes them sound appealing but no one actually using them.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I'm in the same boat as OP with (somewhat) similar needs for what my truck needs to do. I'll do much less high speed stuff and more rocky slow speed driving where clearance, approach, and departure angles are needed.

The prior truck I drove (2006 double cab Tundra) had Bilstein 5100 shocks on all 4 corners and Camburg upper control arms. The shocks let go in a relatively short time and were replaced with ICON coilovers and 2.0 non resis in the back. The difference in on and off road performance is significant. I had the feeling of confidence in taking it anywhere I wanted and I had no worries of suspension failure when taking the family on camping trips to some remote areas. The truck felt like it wanted to be driven harder and faster than I wanted to drive it.

I now drive a 18 Ram 1500 crew cab with a 6'4" bed. It's looooooong and it's loooooow; significantly more so than the Tundra at stock height. The cost in outfitting the truck with ICON delta joint control arms, coilovers, rear shocks, and rear springs would come out to right around $3500 for me. I also asked the shop for a quote on a 4" BDS lift with the 3" rear spring and Fox rear shock option along with Bilstein 5100s in the front and Mevotech control arms to replace the OE arms that I know I'd constantly be worrying about. The difference in price (about $600) is because of the higher labor cost involved to get the 4" kit on the truck.

For what the OP describes as his off road needs, I'd consider a quality coilover set up. It sounds like he has the clearance and tire size dialed in for what he does, and is looking to improve off road performance and reliability. I know that the $ involved can get the truck much higher and look so much more tough, but a solid system that gets 2.5 - 3 inches of increased cross member ground clearance, increased suspension travel, and increased shock performance all without significantly increasing center of gravity seems like the way to go.

If the OP needs more frame clearance with increased approach and departure angles, going with a drop bracket lift kit or as was mentioned earlier, coilovers and changing out bumpers would be something to consider.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Out of curiosity is their a reason no one seems to recommend Falcon shocks ? I seen a lot of You tube videos which makes them sound appealing but no one actually using them.

I've wondered that as well. I assume price is the reason no one seems to use, or even mention, them. At their price point, I think most people just go with coilovers from Fox, Icon, etc.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't mind paying more if it does what I want . Problem is ride quality is so subjective it's hard to place a lot of value on someone else's opinion unless everyone is saying the same thing opinion wise. I'd like a shock similar to the Rancho but with the knob set on #5 its a 50/50 compression/rebound turn it up and the compression increases and rebound gets lower and the opposite if ya turn it the other direction and adjustable height setting like the 5100s. In reality I would think an aftermarket spindle that lifts the truck would be easier to deal with. Then you are not preloading the spring and getting the negative aspects of that to live with . You could buy a shock to just be a shock and not have so many compromises when you make a simple height change.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
If I'm not mistaken, most performance coilovers (Carli, Thuren, Camburg, ICON, etc...) will come tuned and paired with a specific coil that is matched to a specific ride height. I could be totally wrong though.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because the Bilstein potion doesn’t wear out around here, kidding asides, Falcon (Teraflex) started to fill a niche in the Jeep Wrangler market, and has expanded that market to the trucks, however i believe they have made a little mistake not offering at least a 0-3" rear longer options for the trucks, while in the Jeeps they have 0-2", 2.5-3.5" and 4-6" lift shock options, in 3 flavors, normal shocks, reservoirs and RES + compression adjusters, just like the big coilovers companies offer, the only offer level for the trucks (Ram 1500, F150, Tacoma, ChevyGMC 1500), and tow/haul adjusters. They're really nice shocks, same territory as the 6112's, but available now :), $1200 or $1400 depending if you want the rear adjusters or not, problem is people around here think $1200-$1400 are better spent on lift height, instead of actual suspension functionality, This could actually be another option for the OP, but $200 more and he can get Icon stage 1 :), this shocks will also surpass the 5100 Bilstein series any day of the week in the dirt, they're just much better shocks designed with more offroad in mind, sure they're not cheap, but one more time, try any of the expensive shocks in the dirt at 40-50mphwhile in 4hi or even in 2wd, for little 30 min sessions, then report back, this is a speed than the average Joe should be able to reach safely (trail dependant), without having a pre-runner setup per se, and none of the shocks you get for $100 bucks can come close to this, mostly because none will live more than 2 sessions, assuming they survive the first one :).