Lifted Rear Driver Lean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shine006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for a little help. I have 2022 Bighorn quad cab. I lifted with Rough Country 3.5” strut lift and added Icon 1.5” coils to the rear. Love the lift and the ride but have the driver side lean on the rear end. The truck had this lean before the lift. I was hoping that the new coils would alleviate some of it but it has not. The rear driver side coil spring is compressed leading me to believe weight issue but unfortunately with gas take empty there is absolutely no change. The spring is still compressed. Could this be a frame issue? Even added 1” spacer to rear diver side and it lifted the pass side ( this made me begin to think frame issue).

What outside of gas tank could be putting this much weight on rear driver side causing spring to compress?

Really appreciate any thoughts, ideas and insights as I would like to correct this. Wanting to keep slight rake but right now rear driver side is lower than fronts. Passenger side slight rake but drivers lower than fronts.805D16D7-019C-4385-803E-3C9E8F38C6F2.jpeg91B7DDB0-6223-4D55-B56C-73011E75DDA6.jpeg21FF6162-2133-4C89-A399-AA90AF366784.jpeg5A617FCE-111B-4AC5-B323-BA131C42BB36.jpeg

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I had an old Diplomat Police car (I've had several still have one) and it had this same thing. I'm ocd and fought it for years. The car was crash free. I had another (I've had many lol) that leaned a bit the other way, same condition no crashes clean car. Learned several things. Lifting one side is always going to lift the other side some, just not as much as the side you add the spacer/whatever. I doubt it's an issue with the frame or anything else. I notice many vehicles have a bit of a lean to a side. My '79 Power Wagon had slight driver's side lean. The frame mounted gas tank cracked so I removed and go off in cab tank only. Then an 11 lb. lithium battery instead of an almost 50 lb. interstate battery and it's good now.

You're sure your driveway or wherever you're measuring is level and tire pressure is even? Look at cars and trucks in parking lots. You'll see many not perfect. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Shine006

Shine006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the reply. Yes, measured at several locations just to make sure flat and level. I am ocd on this as well. It’s almost 1.5” lower on the driver side rear than the passenger side. Bugging the crap out of me to find a solution as spacer was no help lol. Checked rams on local lots and it is odd as some have lean and some do not, no real rhyme or reason to it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
it used to be that almost every brand of vehicle would have stiffer springs on the drivers side than on the passenger side.
The reason for that is that most of the time, someone is sitting in the drivers seat & the other seats are empty

I have my Build Sheet in a folder some place
It has the Part #s of each of the 4 coil springs

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Looking for a little help. I have 2022 Bighorn quad cab. I lifted with Rough Country 3.5” strut lift and added Icon 1.5” coils to the rear. Love the lift and the ride but have the driver side lean on the rear end. The truck had this lean before the lift. I was hoping that the new coils would alleviate some of it but it has not. The rear driver side coil spring is compressed leading me to believe weight issue but unfortunately with gas take empty there is absolutely no change. The spring is still compressed. Could this be a frame issue? Even added 1” spacer to rear diver side and it lifted the pass side ( this made me begin to think frame issue).

What outside of gas tank could be putting this much weight on rear driver side causing spring to compress?

Really appreciate any thoughts, ideas and insights as I would like to correct this. Wanting to keep slight rake but right now rear driver side is lower than fronts. Passenger side slight rake but drivers lower than fronts.View attachment 501475View attachment 501476View attachment 501473View attachment 501474
Did you try swapping rear springs side to side,and making sure they're properly clocked. If swapping the rear springs around doesn't do anything,then you can try swapping the front struts side to side,if it's still out,then you'll have to play with spacers. Alot of rear lean issues can be traced back to front issues,if the front is out,usually the rear will also be out.The opposite front corner is where to look if swapping the rear springs around doesn't change anything,if it's the drivers rear out,check the front pass corner.This is only a guide,as you'll spend a bunch of time getting it level. If you're really aanal,you'll be very good at pulling springs and struts by the time you get it perfect,been there/done that :rolleyes: :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
Shine006

Shine006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the response. Rear springs were swapped to verify that there was not an issue with one of them. I have not done anything with the fronts since ther both measured 41.7” on both sides. Will try swapping to see if it changes anything.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Mine has no lean at all on any side ... exact same height on both sides on the rear and front ... 1.5" is way too much of a difference ... there has to be something else going on with that side ... if it was 1/4" ...1/2" then that is reasonable ....take it to a frame shop ...

How is the top of the bed against the cab? .... Measure from the axles to the top of the spring mounts to see if there is a difference there .... the frame shops are going to take all sorts of measurements ..if you want to avoid a frame shop take measurements from every possible angle, you "will" find the location or source of the difference .... but it's going to take a while ..

My Pops Ram 1500 had the passenger's side leaning almost an inch and he hated it ... it turned out to be a different sized washer and bolt on the rear of the bed that didn't push the bed down flush but it was fine up against the cab lol ...

OP
OP
Shine006

Shine006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank You. The 1.5” and the spring compressed is what has led me to believe something is going on here. I will prob find a frame shop and have them take a look. Something is definitely compressing the spring even with an empty gas tank.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Thank You. The 1.5” and the spring compressed is what has led me to believe something is going on here. I will prob find a frame shop and have them take a look. Something is definitely compressing the spring even with an empty gas tank.
Have you checked the end links, panhard and the bracket that connects the left end link to the frame? that might be shorter thus causing the compression ....

OP
OP
Shine006

Shine006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked the end links, panhard and the bracket that connects the left end link to the frame? that might be shorter thus causing the compression ....
Great ideas, thank you. Track bar looks to be good as the rear lift was only 1.5” and axle looks to be aligned. Truck drives straight. The sway bar endlinks are adjustable and the left is shorter than the right due to this lean. I can adjust this to longer but afraid It will put tension on the sway bar.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I'd be willing to bet a lot of money there's nothing "wrong". I've had many vehicles that I know had straight frame but leaned one way or another and I let it drive me nuts. I tried moving leaf spring pads (one on top of axle, one side on bottom), different things. Really my best success was the light weight lithium battery and no tank on one side.

I hope this makes you feel better Shine006. On the road today (I'm always noticing cars and trucks have leans). Check out this GM product. First I noticed from afar, then got closer.

Attachments

• 666D7182-8895-437E-8611-4D003A45BBA9.jpeg
    666D7182-8895-437E-8611-4D003A45BBA9.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 6
  • F904B0E7-9246-4998-AAA6-1AB44B045043.png
    F904B0E7-9246-4998-AAA6-1AB44B045043.png
    687.4 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I'd be willing to bet a lot of money there's nothing "wrong". I've had many vehicles that I know had straight frame but leaned one way or another and I let it drive me nuts. I tried moving leaf spring pads (one on top of axle, one side on bottom), different things. Really my best success was the light weight lithium battery and no tank on one side.

I hope this makes you feel better Shine006. On the road today (I'm always noticing cars and trucks have leans). Check out this GM product. First I noticed from afar, then got closer.
That is one mean gangstah lean !!! lol

OP
OP
Shine006

Shine006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That definitely makes me laugh lol. I am going to have it checked just for peice of mind. If body shop says straight may try some stiffer rear springs. Thanks for the images, def cheered me up a bit over it.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Do you race offroad ?

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Just bring it back to stock....if it bothers you so much.
When you grow up, you will see how much it really matters.....