Lifted/Towing w higher stall converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Just for clarification, you’re saying the .5 Greene cam would be fine without a higher stall for towing? I would think that it would benefit some to have a little higher stall than factory to get to where we making power. I think the OP is lifted too with larger tires as I and it would have to help right?

Correct. Maxtrac lifted 7" on 37's.

I switched to 4.56 rear gear to help with the 37's which helped tremendously.

As I've been doing my research on camshaft selections everything points me to a higher stall converter to match my desired powerband. I want to make sure I'm matching parts up that work together and makes the truck even more fun to drive.

20210513_090915.jpg

Shelton90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct. Maxtrac lifted 7" on 37's.

I switched to 4.56 rear gear to help with the 37's which helped tremendously.

As I've been doing my research on camshaft selections everything points me to a higher stall converter to match my desired powerband. I want to make sure I'm matching parts up that work together and makes the truck even more fun to drive.

Slick truck, how’d you do the front diff? I’m in the same boat, at the last step to add a cam and converter if needed and I’ll be done.

View attachment 250196
Jays small .5 cam is what he reconmends for the stock convertor,as it's power band isn't really all that much differant from the stock cam,it's basically a torque cam,that pulls good off idle. You could add a little more convertor with it,but probably not much more then 2600 to 2800 at most. The convertor out of a 1320 Challenger or an early 14 to 16 SRT Jeep would be a great addition to the .5HL cam.After 16 the SRT Jeeps lost the factory high stall convertor,and it's not available anymore,but the 1320 Challengers convertor is still available.

thanks for the info, I’d email Jay some more and talk to him about it but I’m pretty sure I knocked enough years off his life due to stress tracing down a false knock lol. He’s a good fella

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am not doing any bypass. Doesn't have any value to me with how I use the truck

It's not actually a bypass, you are killing flow to the transmission heater to reduce transmission temperatures, which you said yours were high. Sounds like you are lifted and towing which should make lower transmission temps a high value to you.

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
What’s your cam specs? Can’t help you without them. I use a Hughes, 2800 stall Bullet proof 46RE with 3.92. Had 4.56 and was a house puller but not great for 90mph with 31” tires. Unlike a diesel which has torque down low and power, gas doesn’t hit its torque curve at 1000RPM. A higher stall is better fit for gas and match the rpm / lock up with torque curve and heat will still be an issue. Get the best cooler you can find with a fan. I’m in the south. AC turns on with the key. I use a 165* thermostat, dual electric fans with shroud and a Tran cooler with fan and can get up to 200*
I’ll repeat myself over and over on inquiries like this. Call John at Southeastperformance.net. He will help you. Make sure you have your can specs…..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What’s your cam specs? Can’t help you without them. I use a Hughes, 2800 stall Bullet proof 46RE with 3.92. Had 4.56 and was a house puller but not great for 90mph with 31” tires. Unlike a diesel which has torque down low and power, gas doesn’t hit its torque curve at 1000RPM. A higher stall is better fit for gas and match the rpm / lock up with torque curve and heat will still be an issue. Get the best cooler you can find with a fan. I’m in the south. AC turns on with the key. I use a 165* thermostat, dual electric fans with shroud and a Tran cooler with fan and can get up to 200*
I’ll repeat myself over and over on inquiries like this. Call John at Southeastperformance.net. He will help you. Make sure you have your can specs…..

If he goes with a Greene cam,he won't have any cam specs.Jay doesn't give out his cam specs or send the with a cam card,he's to worried somebody will copy his cams,go figure,lol. The 8 speed has an internal thermostat,so it'll run hot whether you throw a cooler or not on it,and he doesn't appear to be interested in one of Caulk04's bypass plugs to delete the tranny thermostat,another one of them go figures,lol.Just razzing ya Red,but with your tire combination and you wanting to tow,i think you're making a mistake by not at least spending the 30 bucks to try out one of Jesse's bypasses,if you don't like it,it's easily reversed,and you could always sell the bypass and get most of your 30 bucks back.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
It's possible if you have serial number of cam.......send it to Tommy Oden @ CC
I have the spec card for your cam Rick if you like.
Think I may have posted here somewhere.

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I'll consult Jay about what size cam* I'll need. I was trying to wrap my head around what I get with a $600 2600 stall converter vs a $1300 2600 rpm converter.

I see some of them say they use billet vs cast. I need something that holds the abuse of a daily driver vs a weekend warrior/drag strip build.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'll consult Jay about what size stall I'll need. I was trying to wrap my head around what I get with a $600 2600 stall converter vs a $1300 2600 rpm converter.

I see some of them say they use billet vs cast. I need something that holds the abuse of a daily driver vs a weekend warrior/drag strip build.

You'll probably want to suck it up and buy the high dollar convertor then

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Like I've said before the circle d for whatever reason has magic inside. It feels fine for a daily driver, no crazy RPM behavior when cruising around, and when you mash the pedal or do a launch assuming you've got it sized right it really helps, and I've not noticed any serious impacts on towing at least moderate loads for long distances.

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Like I've said before the circle d for whatever reason has magic inside. It feels fine for a daily driver, no crazy RPM behavior when cruising around, and when you mash the pedal or do a launch assuming you've got it sized right it really helps, and I've not noticed any serious impacts on towing at least moderate loads for long distances.

Thank you @James OBrien

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
I'll consult Jay about what size cam* I'll need. I was trying to wrap my head around what I get with a $600 2600 stall converter vs a $1300 2600 rpm converter.